Your question

6600 AGP hanging?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 8, 2006 12:18:13 PM

Hello, my PC hangs frequently whenever I play either of these titles

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
ToCA 3
Prey

And I know for certain at least two of them use Starforce 3.x I have an Athlon 2800+ and 512 meg RAM plus a Geforce 6600 AGP (which is incorrectly identified as a PCI Express Go 6600GT by the 91.31 Forceware revision :?) I've not played game for a while but I use my card to render video in MPC and my PC rarely hangs even when running at full capacity (e.g. 7zip compression or XviD encoding), so I suspect either the card or the Starforce 3 protection system. Is there some sort of stress test tool to see if my 6600 is capable of running games at highest detail without causing the system to crash? I don't OC my card (or at least haven't done so in 6 months), so can anyone help me please?

More about : 6600 agp hanging

September 12, 2006 5:54:09 AM

Quote:
Is there some sort of stress test tool to see if my 6600 is capable of running games at highest detail without causing the system to crash?

Crash or not crash is depending on your system (hardware and/or software). 3D application such as Games using an intensive CPU, Memory, VGA, HDD utilization. They are working together, if one of them failed so CRASH !!!
Not to forget about softwares, any background services or softwares such as antivirus or firewall will make a CRASH if they are in a conflicted situation.

Start with your VGA driver first, try to use older driver or an alternative driver. Sometimes it can reduce your problem.

Turn off your background services before playing. Antivirus and firewall "eat" lots of memory (512MB is quite tight for those Games).

You can use 3DMark to test your pc, you can choose to make a looping benchmark and let your pc for 24 hours if you want.
September 18, 2006 7:10:59 AM

hey man i've had the same problem
you havn't provided your system details but if you have a Creative Audigy 2 (or anything creative for that matter) try moving it down to the bottom pci slot
that has fixed the freezing for me
Related resources
September 18, 2006 8:37:03 AM

It could be the RAM or the video card overheating,post your specs
September 20, 2006 6:58:05 AM

I had problems with a 6600gt agp a while ago. It used to crash randomly, updating drivers reduced it but didn't fix it, It seams like there is an issue with either the pic-e-agp bridge chip or mabe overheating.
!