Buying DDR2-800 part II: G.Skill or Crucial Technology?

Ignacio49

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Hello.

After doing my homework I had the two final choices below mentioned. I was ready to buy the G.Skill at $249.99 but now the price increased $40. This made me think twice, and reconsider the Crucial Technology option.
I am not into overclocking, but I want to have the option open. I do occasional gaming. I want trouble free operation. Processor will be Core 2 Duo E6400, mobo will be Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3.

I found G.Skill at $249.99 a good buy, but at $288.99 it seems to be a bit expensive, with Crucial at $239.99 now looking as a good deal ( I may not be able to get the $40 mail rebate, as I am not in the US - otherwise Crucial at $200 should be the clear winner).

One more thing: according to the manual, the GA-965G-DS3 can increase DIMM voltage up to 2.4V (from default up to 0.6V in 0.1V steps). I guess this means a limited overclocking potential for the Crucial, which is 2.2V, while the G.Skill is 2.0-2.1V. Am I right? Please comment.

What would be your choice, and why? Is there any other good option to look at?

Thanks for your help

G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ (2x1Giga) $289.99
4-4-4-12, 2.0-2.1V
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820231065

Crucial Technology Ballistix BL2KIT12864AA804 (2x1Giga) $239.99 (or $199.99)
4-4-4-12, 2.2V
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80061-9&ps=ho4

kamiri

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I have the G.Skill memory (got it at the $40 off price :) ). You may want to check out >>This Thread<< because it looks like there is a compatability issue atm with Giga boards and memory that uses Micron chips. I know the G.Skill HZ memory does use Micron chips and afaik Crucial uses their own chips.

However, I have never used Crucial memory and wouldn't recommend anything I have not actually used first hand. I also don't hold it against G.Skill because it seems to be Gigabyte's problem and I have read a review of this exact memory and the DQ6 board that had no issues at all. Unfortunately I cannot track down the review but I'll post it if I find it.

Mondoman

Splendid
Crucial has always made top-notch quality memory products. They are owned by Micron, but do sometimes also use other manufacturer's chips in their DIMMs. Their tech support is good (and US-based, and not a long hold time), but their customer service is hit and miss. I recently had to RMA a pair of DIMMs, and they sat at Crucial for 2 weeks(!) until my 2nd(!) phone call asking what was taking so long finally got them to figure out someone had forgotten to process them.
Bottom line: top-notch products, but you need to keep bugging them if you ever RMA something.

Ignacio49

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
What about the other issue: *.... GA-965G-DS3 can increase DIMM voltage up to 2.4V (from default up to 0.6V in 0.1V steps). I guess this means a limited overclocking potential for the Crucial, which is 2.2V....... Am I right?...*

Please comment. I would like to understand how this works in order to avoid buying the wrong stuff.

Mondoman

Splendid
If those voltages accurately represent the minimum voltage needed to operate at the given latency spec, then you are right. My impression, though, is that some companies (like Corsair) are quite specific about voltages for different product numbers, and other companies just use a blanket number covering multiple product lines, as testing different lines at different voltages results in extra cost and hassle.