ryder_22

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
any files i download from net, I get an error message that file is corrupted on hard disk when i try to run.
a few have worked, but most of the files say corrupt. when I run directly from server or install from CD, programs install without problem.
i'm using a freshly installed copy of win xp Pro on a computer I just got!
help is much appreciated!
for example, last nite i download 2gb of game demos off of
the nvidia website. none of them worked! "source file corrupted"
i ran physical tests of the HD's and no problems.
i put this in a different area of forums but no response.
??

theboomboomcars

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
What is your system setup?

There have been problems with the nVidia firewall on the integrated ethernet chip, if you have an nForce 4 board that may be the problem.

dmartin

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2005
Hey, I work for an ISP here in Utah, We recently had a gentleman who could download files up to about 1.5-2MB in size, but anything above that would get corrupted, we tested this while we were on the phone, we downloaded 3 files, from 3 sites, at the same time, from the same server, and mine came through okay, but his did not. 2 weeks later, he finally found out what the problem was, now, I'm not sure this would be the same issue as yours, but he had to adjust the MTU on his router to a max of 1472 bytes instead of the standard 1500, I'd suggest trying that if you have high speed internet, if that doesn't work, try connecting to the net with a dial-up connection and download the same file from the same place.

Good luck
- Dustin

ryder_22

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
i have the A8N-SLI Asus MB.
It's nForce 4 w/ the nvidia firewall and integrated ethernet chip.
how should I address the problem?
thanks
Matt

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
thanks
Matt

re-install the nforce 4 drivers, and when u re-install them DO NOT install the nvidia firewall

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
thanks
Matt

re-install the nforce 4 drivers, and when u re-install them DO NOT install the nvidia firewall

And do NOT use the IDE drivers from Nvidia either....not everyone but some people have problems with them. The IDE drivers in XP are just fine.

GlimmerMan

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2004
thanks
Matt

An older NF4 driver corrupts data when using the nvidia port. The latest NF4 drivers fixes it. If you don't want to reinstall the NF4 drivers, you can use the Marvell port, which was how I got around the problem until they fixed the NF4 driver.

Turbo_VE_Max

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I had the same thing with my old Asus NF4 board.

If its just stuff you download (how mine started out) then update your drivers and do everything above.

However if you files on your harddrive start to corrupt (more so for those more often used) then go WAY back on the nvidia platform drivers to see if that helps.

For me I had to delete most of my files, do a FULL format and start over with OLD a$$ drivers. You have to attack it like you would some dude your sister just started dating...

HYDRO777

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Try testing your memory for errors too. Run Memtest for an hour and see if your memory sub-system has errors. If so replace memory or back down on your OCing a little. :lol:

ryder_22

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
removing the nvidia firewall did correct the program. most files download and work fine, specifically the ones before that wern't, but for example when I download fear:extraction point I get an CRC error message that file is corrupt. now, should I download new nvidia drivers from nvidia website or chek on the asus site? i'm running Asus A8N-Sli MB.
again, i think its working fine, but the fact that i tried downloading extraction point from numerous sources with file corruption message tells me something could be wrong. also, the computer is operating different in windows after windows update, a bit slower than before.
thanks for the help again!