Yes, one more new time builder.

Mook

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
Ok, I currently have a decent Dell Desktop. I use it 99% of the time for on-line gaming. I am looking at upgrading because my system is 4 years old and it is time. Few questions for you experts:

1. I am not extremely computer literate. I can do most things if I have the instructions, but troubleshooting a system is a bit beyond me. Should I even consider building my own, or should I stay with a system that I have Tech support.

2. If the answer to #1 is build my own, with a budget of about $1300-$1500 what would be the best gaming system I could get? I do not need a keyboard/monitor/mouse. Please be specific as if there is one that everyone agrres on, I will probably take that list to the store, or find the exact items online and order.

3. Regarding #1 above, where would be the best source to start reading up on common problems/fixes for homebuilt machines?

1. Even if you aren't very computer literate, building your own system will be very good experience for you.

2. I am assuming you're in the US, so I'll use Newegg as the reference.

3. The Tom's hardware forum is a very good resource, like many other forums on the net. If you have a question or don't understand something, just ask. There are so many knowledgable people out there, you're bound to get a response quickly.

Here are my suggestions for the build:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

RAM: Corsair XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800

Video Card: eVGA Geforce 7600GT <--- Grab one of these for now and wait until the DirectX 10 cards arrive, then go for a high end card.

Power Supply: Antec NeoHE 500W

Case: Antec P180

Optical Drive: NEC ND-3550A

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2

Total before taxes and shipping: $1308.20