A Few Flavors of Corsair

greenjizz

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
Need help in picking some memory.

I'm looking at buying a E6600 and putting it on a Asus P5W DH Deluxe with 2GB of RAM my only question is what type of RAM should I buy and Corsair has a few differnt flavors of of the 6400 series. I will be doing a bit of overclocking.

I'm assuming I should buy C4? or maybe even C3 which is crazy expensive? I even saw a C4Pro ahhhhhhh to many to choose from.

Also should I be buying 6400 for overclocking or somehitng slower or faster?

Thanks!

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Faster timings are not really cost effective...like 2-3 fps in games if that, only good for benchmarking. how far do you want to overclock, and what kind of cooling do you have.

I have the Corsair 6400 C5, 3.2ghz is not a problem with my e6400. but it is still running in spec at 400x8. haven't pushed beyond that yet, as my temps are on the high side at that speed with a little vcore nudge...

if you watercool, well, go for the fast stuff, it overclocks better.

greenjizz

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
I'm not looking for exteme OC just maybe 3ghz or higher.

I don't have the system so I'll only have stock cooling for now but I'm looking at some other solutuions none being water.

sailer

Splendid
C4 is by far better than C5, but you do need a good processor to take advantage of it. In that light, a 6600 will be better both in speed and in performance with good ram. C3 ram would be even better yet, but it comes at a high price. A simple formula, better ram overclocks better.

As far as overclocking slower processors, that works for those on strick budgets, but I have always found it best to get the fastest processor that I can afford and then overclock it even farther. That keeps my machine lasting longer before I feel the need to buy a newer, faster processor.

All the above is just my opinion based on my experince.

greenjizz

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
Cas4 Pro is is the Cas3 stuff is like $200CAN more which is alot. The E6600 is really the most I can afford so as long as I can overclock it to a little over 3ghz then I should be fine for a year or two :)

I'm really glad no one has said go with Cas3

Thanks for the input so far guys much appreciated any more input would be great as well.

Thanks!

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I finally maxed my OC...I think. Haven't tried bumping RAM voltage much yet, I'm more afraid of zapping my RAM than the CPU!

My max is 422x8 with the Corsair 6400 C5 at stock voltage (1.9v.)

That's plenty fast for me!

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Go to crosair website type in the model of your MB and see what they "recomend" you get for it....

Cant really go wrong that way.... and after that it just depends how deep your pockets are...