Sold Riven, didnt work on my windows xp.

Hi,

I bought the game Riven with 5 cd's but the game wont install on my windows
xp home version. I dont know why. I tried everything thats possible. And
then I just sold it to a friend who had win 98, the game looked so nice
there and then i was sure i wanted to the game to work on my pc. Why doesnt
it work? Anyone an idea?
Thanks in advance.

Greetings

Dick van Drie

I sold it to a friend (with win 98) and it looked all so beautiful on his pc
that i really want it to work on my pc. Looks and sounds much better then
myst (1).

gr

Dick van Drie

Dick van Drie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I bought the game Riven with 5 cd's but the game wont install on my windows
> xp home version. I dont know why. I tried everything thats possible. And
> then I just sold it to a friend who had win 98, the game looked so nice
> there and then i was sure i wanted to the game to work on my pc. Why doesnt
> it work? Anyone an idea?
> Thanks in advance.

Not a clue! Installed and worked fine on my XP. Describe what happened
during attempted installation and maybe someone can help.

"zhickel" wrote

> Not a clue! Installed and worked fine on my XP. Describe what happened
> during attempted installation and maybe someone can help.
Nothing really happens is the problem, i see for a few seconds the 'wait'
icon and i hear the hard drive working and then it's quit. Windows didnt
load or started anything.
Thats all it does.

Dick van Drie wrote:
> "zhickel" wrote
>
>>Not a clue! Installed and worked fine on my XP. Describe what happened
>>during attempted installation and maybe someone can help.
>
> Nothing really happens is the problem, i see for a few seconds the 'wait'
> icon and i hear the hard drive working and then it's quit. Windows didnt
> load or started anything.
> Thats all it does.

Could be many things. I'll list what I can think of, maybe others can
add more suggestions.

-CD drive not working properly. Does it work with all other CDs?
You could try cleaning the lens, you can purchase a lens cleaning CD for
about $10, otherwise replace the drive.

-Other programs running in background that may be causing conflicts?
Turn off everything except that which is essential, including
anti-virus, firewalls, launchers etc. Go through the list of running
processes in task manager and see if there is anything that may be
causing trouble.

-If the CD spins up, but nothing happens, click on my computer, right
click your CD drive icon and click on open. Then try running setup.exe

-I'm not sure if this is relevant, but you could try opening the Riven
CD window as above, then right clicking on setup.exe, choose
properties\compatibility. Try running setup in win98 compatibility. If
it installs, then try running Riven.exe in win98 compatibility.

good luck. let us know how you go

"zhickel" wrote:
> Could be many things. I'll list what I can think of, maybe others can
> add more suggestions.
>
> -CD drive not working properly. Does it work with all other CDs?
> You could try cleaning the lens, you can purchase a lens cleaning CD for
> about $10, otherwise replace the drive.
Other programs no problem at all, it's a dvd drive but works perfect.

> -Other programs running in background that may be causing conflicts?
> Turn off everything except that which is essential, including
> anti-virus, firewalls, launchers etc. Go through the list of running
> processes in task manager and see if there is anything that may be
> causing trouble.
Did that, nothing special running. antivirus and firewalls turned off etc.
I know all processes, and they are good.

> -If the CD spins up, but nothing happens, click on my computer, right
> click your CD drive icon and click on open. Then try running setup.exe
I have, didnt help.

> -I'm not sure if this is relevant, but you could try opening the Riven
> CD window as above, then right clicking on setup.exe, choose
> properties\compatibility. Try running setup in win98 compatibility. If
> it installs, then try running Riven.exe in win98 compatibility.
I tried every possible compatiblility 95,98,etc

> good luck. let us know how you go

I have to get a new copy (call me crazy) to try something out. In another
group (at.games.riven) they suggested me to disable Cryptographic Services
in msconfig.exe? What does that do to solve a solution like installing
programs?
Maybe it helps, i don't know.

gr

Dick

Hi,

I reinstalled windows xp. And I bought another version of riven today, and
now it did install as it should be.

The game works almost fine except for one thing: there's no sound when a
movie or animation is played. Background sound works fine.
So i cant hear Atrus speak or any animation sounds.

gr

Dick

> I have to get a new copy (call me crazy) to try something out. In another
> group (at.games.riven) they suggested me to disable Cryptographic Services
> in msconfig.exe? What does that do to solve a solution like installing
> programs?
> Maybe it helps, i don't know.

Can't imagine how disabling crypto services would help. If you do
disable it, do it through start\programs\admin tools\services.

I'm thinking along the lines of it being a problem with your dvd drive
not reading the CDs. Isn't there a version of Riven on DVD? That might
be worth a try.

> Can't imagine how disabling crypto services would help. If you do
> disable it, do it through start\programs\admin tools\services.
>
> I'm thinking along the lines of it being a problem with your dvd drive
> not reading the CDs. Isn't there a version of Riven on DVD? That might
> be worth a try.
Not really, the guy who i sold my version of riven has a dvd drive too and
it works good there (except he has win98). The dvd version is very hard too
find i cant buy this in any store in my country (amazon has it but dont
diliver too the netherlands).

"Dick van Drie" <geenemail@ivmspam.nl> wrote in message
>> Can't imagine how disabling crypto services would help. If you do
>> disable it, do it through start\programs\admin tools\services.
>>
>> I'm thinking along the lines of it being a problem with your dvd drive
>> not reading the CDs. Isn't there a version of Riven on DVD? That might
>> be worth a try.
> Not really, the guy who i sold my version of riven has a dvd drive too and
> it works good there (except he has win98). The dvd version is very hard
> too
> find i cant buy this in any store in my country (amazon has it but dont
> diliver too the netherlands).

I have a DVD drive, Windows XP and everything and it installs and runs fine
here.

--
Unforgiven

> I reinstalled windows xp. And I bought another version of riven today, and
> now it did install as it should be.
>
> The game works almost fine except for one thing: there's no sound when a
> movie or animation is played. Background sound works fine.
> So i cant hear Atrus speak or any animation sounds.

So glad you can enjoy riven. Sound card drivers? Sometimes I lose all
sound for no apparent reason. Usually fixes it to click 'default settings'.
Quicktime preferences? Maybe set quicktime to handle absolutely
everything for the time being.

From memory, Riven doesn't need fancy audio card. On-board sound does
just fine but I do recall the speeches and animation being a bit choppy.

lol, I'm tempted to reinstall riven to refresh my memory!

"zhickel" wrote:
> So glad you can enjoy riven. Sound card drivers? Sometimes I lose all
> sound for no apparent reason. Usually fixes it to click 'default
settings'.
> Quicktime preferences? Maybe set quicktime to handle absolutely
> everything for the time being.
>
> From memory, Riven doesn't need fancy audio card. On-board sound does
> just fine but I do recall the speeches and animation being a bit choppy.
>
> lol, I'm tempted to reinstall riven to refresh my memory!

Im very glad Riven works, it lookes better on the tft where i saw it. But
soon ill get an tft too i think.

Maybe its not so wise, but i have three soundchips(cards) on the pc. Onboard
Sound(disabled), SB live! and Audigy 2 ZS cards. mostley worked fine with
Myst 3, Myst 1 and Uru. I disabled the sb live but that didnt help.
Quicktime i have is 6.3, and i installed the older version on the disk too.
Quicktime preferences? It's all on default i think.

gr

Dick

Dick van Drie wrote:

> Finally sounds coming with animated scenes work too.
> With some help from:
> http://www.mystcommunity.com/board/index.php?showtopic=438
> and installing riven again, im very pleased i can see and hear all riven
> sounds. And now i can start playing the game. :) Thanks for all the help.
>
> gr
>
> Dick

You are very welcome. I've used the myst community board in the past
and they have good advice there. Hope you enjoy Riven.
cheers
Zhickel