XP Pro - Locked out of admin profile

November 5, 2004 7:54:02 PM

Using Win XP Pro I recently had my keyboard drivers corrupt (only able to
type in bios, running off of the windows boot cd), and my admin account
requires a password (which I cannot enter) in order for me to roll
back/reinstall the drivers. I've tried to use the 'repair windows' option
but when asked for the administrator password I have no idea - I have no
memory of setting this password, and it isn't blank (or any of the passwords
that I can ever remember using!).

I guess what I'm asking is this: Is there a way to gain administrator
priviledges without needing to type? Or is there a way I can run the system
repair without knowing this mysterious administrator password? Do I really
have to reinstall windows (I would really, really like to not have to do
that)?

Tyler Helmuth
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 12:38:28 AM

Hi,

You wouldn't be running off the WinXP CD if you were in the system BIOS. You
also do not need the admin password to do a repair installation. The admin
password is used when logging onto the Recovery Console. You don't do a
repair installation from the recovery console.

If this is an OEM (preinstall) system, you may be the victim of sysprep, and
there is a workaround for the password issue described here:

Cannot Log On to Recovery Console After Running Sysprep [Q308402]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308402

If there is a password set, then you can reset it from any other account
with the same priviledge level. Otherwise, you may want to try this link:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/