Building C2 Extreme X6800 But Which SLI Mobo?!

Maxheadshot

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I've been saving my pennies and will be building a system on the bleeding edge. The Intel® Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe Processor 2.93GHz, 1066FSB, LGA775, 4MB Cache fits the profile and is enroute.

I've built several systems but the last was over a year ago and many things have changed. (You always have to get current when building again.) I've been doing update research and am a touch confused by the current mobo configurations and chipsets. My basic question is:

What is the best SLI mobo for the x6800 right now (today)? Why? :wink:

Second, should I be waiting for the new release boards that will fully support conroe?

TIA.

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
uh, there are only two boards that have SLI available for mr. conroe. The Asus p5n32, and the new 570 board. If you want the most out of that extreme, then ditch nVidia SLI and get the Asus P5W DH, it's a 975x board so it won't run SLI stock (you could always get the hacked drivers and a SLI bridge). It will run crossfire though, but really, are you going to see the difference between 1280x1084 vs. some superhuge resolution that quad SLI can pump out (please people, for the love of God, do not fall into the quad SLI trap)at AAx8 and AFx16. By the way Cross fire will do HDR with AA on and SLI won't (well nVidia won't and ATI will)