AthlonXP 2600+ cheap upgrade to last a year or so...

My Questions...
Is an Athlon64 3200, 3500, or 3800 that much better than an AthlonXP 2600? I like to play RTS, and FPS (medium quality is fine for me)
Will I get a huge difference in my system with a slightly better CPU and PCI-E or should I just OC my AthlonXP and put in a new GPU until next year? Please post a link on how to OC an XP if you have a good one.

Will by 2600+ bottleneck very much in my lower/mid computer setup?

What I've got:
AthlonXP 2600+
AGP 9600 AIW 128MB
Biostar MB
1GB single channel DDR400 Ram (2 sticks)
160GB Seagate HD
Dell 20" Widescreen 2007 fpw

I want to hold off for 12-18 before my next major upgrade.

Right now I can get a 939 MB with PCI-E and an Athlon64 3500 or 3800 for about $110 on ebay, or course I'll need a new graphics card but PCI-E is cheaper that AGP so for about $250 I can do a decent upgrade before I shell out $1500 in 18 months for a great new computer.

Or... I can simply upgrade to a good AGP. I'm looking at the x800xt AIW because it has GDDR3 and 16 pipes and TV tuner. That will set me back about $100-125 on ebay, but I can save $150 or so for my big upgrade later and still get a very good GPU for now.

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about athlonxp 2600 cheap upgrade year
  1. If it has lasted for you until now then it will last you another year.
  2. You could go with the Asrock 775Dual-VSTA mobo and a E6300 CPU.

It will run you about $250 for both, but it takes DDR and DDR2 RAM so you can still use your old RAM. It has PCIe & AGP slots, so you can use your old graphics card for now, and upgrade to a PCIe later.

This looks like a great transition board, I don't know if there is a version for the AM2.

I wouldn't go for a 939 board or an AGP card as your really just throwing your money away if you plan on upgrading later.
  3. Funny, I have a similar CPU, and I was wondering what kind of performance I could expect from a system I'm trying to put together as well:

DFI AZ30-TL
    AMD Athlon 2600 (AXDA2600DKV4D)
    Jet Cooler Master fan/heatsink

(Of course I'll need Ram and a HDD, etc.)

Is it worth it to build a system around this, or should I just file these away for spare parts and step up to a socket 939 bundle?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs