Hard drive problem help!!!!!

limpep

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
I guys i got an Maxtor 6V250F0 250GB (SATA 1 or 2 i think) came with the computer. Its been partitioned for recovery with 4.4gb useage. The problem is i cant install an OS on this harddrive (when ever i try it gets stuck on 0% and then after 30min i get bluescreen of death) so i have to install the OS on my IDE drive. When every i the computer is booting up i can see the Maxtor harddrive but when i click on my computer i only see my IDE harddrive, can any one help.

Thanks

go to start->control panel->administrative tools->computer management->under storage click the + symbol to expand the tree. Click "disk management" it should display all your hard drives. Disk 0, disk 1 disk 2 and so on.

If you don't see it then you don't have it connected right and you dont have the jumpers set right on the IDE drive.

Check the cables, red line goes towards the power, set jumpers to cable select.

edit:

oh ya and if it does show up but it sees it as unknown make sure you have service pack 2 installed for windows xp. Windows xp without it can't see drives above 130 gigs.

limpep

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
My harddrive is not an IDE drive its an SATA. I do have SP2 installed,

This image shows that there is no other harddrive connected in my computer.
porb1.jpg

This image shows there is an harddrive connected with a partition of 4.4GB and unknow 239GB.
porb2.jpg

This image shows the harddrive name and model with other drives that are unknow.
porb3.jpg

limpep

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
Well i got it working in the end

last thing i did to make it work

1) I deleted the 4.40 GB partition.

2) Then i got an chance to format the drive.

3) waiting for it to format.

Thanks for all ur help guys