Myst IV demo crashes on Mac OS X (PowerBook 667)

Hi,

I have Mac OS 10.3.5 running on a PowerBook G4 Titanium 667 MHz. When I
start Myst IV demo, it crashes right after starting up.

Any idea what is wrong? Hardware issues?

Greetings,
Claus

In article <cmfuu9$bk0$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>, Claus Atzenbeck
<claus.atzenbeck@freenet.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Mac OS 10.3.5 running on a PowerBook G4 Titanium 667 MHz. When I
> start Myst IV demo, it crashes right after starting up.
>
> Any idea what is wrong? Hardware issues?
>
> Greetings,
> Claus

I had exactly the same problem running the demo on my dual 500Mhz G4. I
think that the issue is down to how Safari decompresses the demo
archive: it doesn't set the Unix file permissions correctly. Upshot is
that when you double click the demo, the screen fades to black and then
jumps right back to the Finder.

I got advice that meant fiddling about with file permissions but that
didn't work. Instead, make sure you have the latest version of Stuffit
Expander and re-decompress the saved ZIP file. This should set the file
permissions on the demo properly and the demo will run.

Good luck!

Ghostlight

Ghostlight wrote:

> I got advice that meant fiddling about with file permissions but that
> didn't work. Instead, make sure you have the latest version of Stuffit
> Expander and re-decompress the saved ZIP file. This should set the file
> permissions on the demo properly and the demo will run.

I don't think that this was a problem on my machine, because I have used an
installer "Myst IV Demo.pkg". StuffIt was not used for that.

Before I have used the installer, I was trying to use the installation file
(zip) at www.mystrevelation.com. I was unpacking it with StuffIt 8.0.2 as
well as with unzip command line tool.

Any of those attemps were leading to the same result: Myst starts and
returns to the Finder after a short time showing a black screen.

I have seen that StuffIt 9 is the current version. I'll give it a try
tomorrow.

Is there anyone who was able to run the demo on a TiBook?? I am wondering if
the full version will run on my machine.

Greetings,
Claus

Claus Atzenbeck wrote:

> Ghostlight wrote:
>
>> I got advice that meant fiddling about with file permissions but that
>> didn't work. Instead, make sure you have the latest version of Stuffit
>> Expander and re-decompress the saved ZIP file. This should set the file
>> permissions on the demo properly and the demo will run.
>
> I don't think that this was a problem on my machine, because I have used
> an installer "Myst IV Demo.pkg". StuffIt was not used for that.
>
> Before I have used the installer, I was trying to use the installation
> file (zip) at www.mystrevelation.com. I was unpacking it with StuffIt
> 8.0.2 as well as with unzip command line tool.
>
> Any of those attemps were leading to the same result: Myst starts and
> returns to the Finder after a short time showing a black screen.
>
> I have seen that StuffIt 9 is the current version. I'll give it a try
> tomorrow.

No, no success, also not with StuffIt 9. I don't think that the StuffIt
would cause that problem.

Greetings,
Claus