installing a program

January 13, 2005 7:00:11 PM

I can not install a program on my Dell Axim x50v.
It states that it can not read the . exe file.
Any help appreciated.

--
Chad Moats
cmoats@sasktel.net

More about : installing program

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 7:09:58 PM

Chad,

are you installing via ActiveSync or directly on the device? If you have an
application that was written for the Windows 32-bit world, it won't work on
your P/PC directly. Most applications are designed to be installed to the
device via ActiveSync.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor

"Chad Moats" <cmoats@sasktel.net> wrote in message
>I can not install a program on my Dell Axim x50v.
> It states that it can not read the . exe file.
> Any help appreciated.
>

> --
> Chad Moats
> cmoats@sasktel.net
> (306)585-7483

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 7:20:26 PM

It's a self installing win zip program.If I run on my desktop,I can't
install on my PDA.If I synch it will not run.
if it is a 32 bit program ,could it be modified for windows mobile.

--
Chad Moats
cmoats@sasktel.net
<management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message
> Chad,
>
> are you installing via ActiveSync or directly on the device? If you have
> an application that was written for the Windows 32-bit world, it won't
> work on your P/PC directly. Most applications are designed to be
> installed to the device via ActiveSync.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>

> "Chad Moats" <cmoats@sasktel.net> wrote in message
>>I can not install a program on my Dell Axim x50v.
>> It states that it can not read the . exe file.
>> Any help appreciated.
>>

>> --
>> Chad Moats
>> cmoats@sasktel.net
>> (306)585-7483

Related resources
January 13, 2005 9:22:09 PM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:20:26 -0600, "Chad Moats" <cmoats@sasktel.net>
removed the duct tape and proclaimed:

>It's a self installing win zip program.If I run on my desktop,I can't
>install on my PDA.If I synch it will not run.
>if it is a 32 bit program ,could it be modified for windows mobile.

You cannot expect an executable that runs on your PC to also run on a
PPC. The architectures are different.

--
I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.
Anonymous

I understand that,now.
But is it possible to rewrite/modify a PC program for Windows Mobile ?

--
Chad Moats
cmoats@sasktel.net
"Bruno" <insert@address.here> wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:20:26 -0600, "Chad Moats" <cmoats@sasktel.net>
> removed the duct tape and proclaimed:
>
>>It's a self installing win zip program.If I run on my desktop,I can't
>>install on my PDA.If I synch it will not run.
>>if it is a 32 bit program ,could it be modified for windows mobile.
>
> You cannot expect an executable that runs on your PC to also run on a
> PPC. The architectures are different.
>
> --
> I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 9:27:57 PM

Chad,

No, that is not possible.

--

news:o PcuQuc%23EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I understand that,now.
> But is it possible to rewrite/modify a PC program for Windows Mobile ?
>

> --
> Chad Moats
> cmoats@sasktel.net
> (306)585-7483
> "Bruno" <insert@address.here> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:20:26 -0600, "Chad Moats" <cmoats@sasktel.net>
>> removed the duct tape and proclaimed:
>>
>>>It's a self installing win zip program.If I run on my desktop,I can't
>>>install on my PDA.If I synch it will not run.
>>>if it is a 32 bit program ,could it be modified for windows mobile.
>>
>> You cannot expect an executable that runs on your PC to also run on a
>> PPC. The architectures are different.
>>
>> --
>> I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 10:14:22 PM

Are you saying that a program manufacturer can not adapt a windows based
program to run on Windows Mobile.It doesn't seem to make much sense.

--
> Chad,
>
> No, that is not possible.
>

> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>

> "Chad Moats" <cmoats@sasktel.net> wrote in message
> news:o PcuQuc%23EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>I understand that,now.
>> But is it possible to rewrite/modify a PC program for Windows Mobile ?
>>

>> --
>> Chad Moats
>> cmoats@sasktel.net
>> (306)585-7483
>> "Bruno" <insert@address.here> wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:20:26 -0600, "Chad Moats" <cmoats@sasktel.net>
>>> removed the duct tape and proclaimed:

>>> You cannot expect an executable that runs on your PC to also run on a
>>> PPC. The architectures are different.
>>>
>>> --
>>> I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 10:47:04 PM

Chad,

The two systems, while similar in appearance, are completely different under
the covers. Some developers do have Win32/WinCE applications that share
data (ie, Ilium Software) but the applications themselves are completely
different in structure.

Regards,

--

news:o 7roNad%23EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Are you saying that a program manufacturer can not adapt a windows based
> program to run on Windows Mobile.It doesn't seem to make much sense.
>

> --
> Chad Moats
> cmoats@sasktel.net
> (306)585-7483
> "Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!)"
> <management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message
>> Chad,
>>
>> No, that is not possible.
>>

>> --
>> Clinton Fitch
>> Senior Editor
>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>>
>> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>>

>> "Chad Moats" <cmoats@sasktel.net> wrote in message
>> news:o PcuQuc%23EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>>I understand that,now.
>>> But is it possible to rewrite/modify a PC program for Windows Mobile ?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Chad Moats
>>> cmoats@sasktel.net
>>> (306)585-7483
>>> "Bruno" <insert@address.here> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 12:15:16 AM

Programs can be ported to WinCE, but it is not an easy process... in
most cases it would be easier to start from scratch and write a new
program to do the same job.

Can you explain what the program is and what it does? For example, a
command line interface program or a simple program with minimal screens
might be portable depending on the language they were written in, but
normally the best approach is to find an equivalent program that already
exists for the pocketpc... and there are thousands of them.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 12:51:42 AM

It's a rugby coaching program.With moving diagrams,databases,etc.
I have spoken to the programmer of the software and he is looking for a way
to make it compatible with Windows mobile.Any tips on how to go about it.

--
Chad Moats
cmoats@sasktel.net
> Programs can be ported to WinCE, but it is not an easy process... in most
> cases it would be easier to start from scratch and write a new program to
> do the same job.
>
> Can you explain what the program is and what it does? For example, a
> command line interface program or a simple program with minimal screens
> might be portable depending on the language they were written in, but
> normally the best approach is to find an equivalent program that already
> exists for the pocketpc... and there are thousands of them.

January 14, 2005 1:16:41 AM

> Chad,
>
> are you installing via ActiveSync or directly on the device? If you
> have an application that was written for the Windows 32-bit world, it
> won't work on your P/PC directly. Most applications are designed to
> be installed to the device via ActiveSync.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com

More directly, run the exe file on your desktop, not the PocketPC

Scott
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 1:29:51 AM

>> Any tips on how to go about it. <<

That's gonna depend highly on what language it was written in.

Direct him to post questions on microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer for
tips.

One thing that he should know before he goes too much further is that
VBasic based programs may not be supported on future versions of PPC os'
Microsoft is very focused on the .NET language for the future.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 9:53:13 AM

"Chad Moats" <cmoats@sasktel.net> wrote:

>I understand that,now.
>But is it possible to rewrite/modify a PC program for Windows Mobile ?

Absolutely. You need the source code though. Depending on the
complexity of the app though it might not make sense. At some point,
someone wanted to create a very complex app for an embedded OS like CE
may skip it and create it for Embedded XP.
January 15, 2005 1:26:45 AM

You would have to have access to the source code. In some cases (nost
notably .NET languages) the program can be ported to PPC with
appropriate rewrites.

What program is it anyway - we may be able to suggest an appropriate
pre-compile PPC program you can use instead ;-)

Cheers - Neil

!