How many did Spire w/ no hints?

Melissa <nospam@nospam.com.invalid> wrote:

>Just wondering if it's possible :)

It's extremely hard. The puzzles themselves are not the real problem,
they are difficult but solvable.

The problem for me with this and the rest of Myst was to find out what
has to be done. The clues are not good enough (for me) and the ones in
the journals are very obscure and there is no feedback in the game
that could give me an idea if I'm progressing correctly towards the
solution of the puzzles.

==

Kate

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 18:35:47 GMT, Melissa <nospam@nospam.com.invalid>
wrote:

>Just wondering if it's possible :)

Not possible. :) I've checked out every last in-game hint in Spire
and I still can't figure out where this console is that everyone's
talking about to get into the "rocket" ship. I hate electricity and
don't understand circuits at all. I've been looking through the forums
but I'm still stuck because I just don't know what I'm looking for on
Spire. It's completely confusing to me.

The girls back in Serenia have been sleeping for almost a week now,
but I don't know what needs to be done before they wake up. I'd like
to play the whole game in Serenia and just forget about the prison
worlds, because they're just too hard, IF the girls would just wake
up. (I'm assuming one of them will tell me what my spirit is, so I
can get on with the game.)

Someone in the forums posted a little video (with instructions) of one
of the Haven puzzles and it's fun to watch, but I haven't found the
location shown in the video, yet. This game is fun to play just to
see each new scene, but the puzzles don't make much sense to me.

Is there a walkthrough yet?

There's a walkthrough posted here:
http://faqs.ign.com/articles/557/557184p1.html

I had a bit of trouble with Spire at the beginning as well. I
saw most of the clues but I couldn't piece together what I
was meant to do. Once I got the ship working, I was fine.
Didn't have too many problems after that.

Good Luck. :)

DMW

In article <7KPid.68044$OD2.57999@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
Melissa <nospam@nospam.com.invalid> wrote:

> Just wondering if it's possible :)

Yes :). It mainly requires guessing a couple of possibilities about
what you have to do, and then eliminating the incorrect guesses
by trying things out. And that one "timing puzzle" requires
split-second timing (at least without the patch that they released).

-Doug Elrod (dre1@cornell.edu)
(not really giving anything away)

Kate

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 11:42:32 GMT, "DMW"
<black_knightNOSPAM28@NOSPAMphreaker.net> wrote:

>There's a walkthrough posted here:
>http://faqs.ign.com/articles/557/557184p1.html
>
>I had a bit of trouble with Spire at the beginning as well. I
>saw most of the clues but I couldn't piece together what I
>was meant to do. Once I got the ship working, I was fine.
>Didn't have too many problems after that.
>
>Good Luck. :)

Thank you! I was half joking when I asked for a walkthrough because
it's still so soon since the game came out, but anything that will get
me past that Spire hump is greatly appreciated. :)

In article <dre1-EB7342.21021206112004@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu>,
Doug Elrod <dre1@cornell.edu> wrote:

> In article <7KPid.68044$OD2.57999@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> Melissa <nospam@nospam.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Just wondering if it's possible :)
>
> Yes :). It mainly requires guessing a couple of possibilities about
> what you have to do, and then eliminating the incorrect guesses
> by trying things out. And that one "timing puzzle" requires
> split-second timing (at least without the patch that they released).
>
> -Doug Elrod (dre1@cornell.edu)
> (not really giving anything away)

I've been looking from time to time to see if anybody else responded to
this post. -It looks like you're the ONLY person who's solved Spire with
no hints Doug! Congrats :)

-Melissa

In article <_Svmd.917979$Gx4.12859@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
Melissa <nospam@nospam.com.invalid> wrote:

> In article <dre1-EB7342.21021206112004@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu>,
> Doug Elrod <dre1@cornell.edu> wrote:
>
> > In article <7KPid.68044$OD2.57999@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> > Melissa <nospam@nospam.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > Just wondering if it's possible :)
> >
> > Yes :). It mainly requires guessing a couple of possibilities about
> > what you have to do, and then eliminating the incorrect guesses
> > by trying things out. And that one "timing puzzle" requires
> > split-second timing (at least without the patch that they released).
> >
> > -Doug Elrod (dre1@cornell.edu)
> > (not really giving anything away)
>
> I've been looking from time to time to see if anybody else responded to
> this post. -It looks like you're the ONLY person who's solved Spire with
> no hints Doug! Congrats :)

Thanks. By the way, it's also possible to do the whole game without
hints :).

So don't give up! It's more satisfying that way. Just remember,
if you get frustrated, that it's either possible to figure something out,
or you just haven't gotten all the pieces to the puzzle yet.

-Doug Elrod (dre1@cornell.edu)

This is an old post, but I couldn't resist gloating.

Yes, I solved the game in four days without any forum give-aways or using
the game's help hints.

*** Spoilers below ***
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Spire was a toughie.
I think I got the rock-shuttle working by accident and appreciated the
"success" music.
I was, for a while, looking for a third crystal "chute" until I was
convinced Sirrus' journal was referring to the
elevator shaft.
I also discovered the rock jamming the wheel below the second tower almost
by accident, too.
I appreciated the mini-videos of Sirrus crestfallen when he discovers that
Spire has no ground!
I wonder how many years it took for him to discover this heart-breaking dead
end!

I'm glad I solved the game before applying the V1.02 patch.
Even though I can now view the two letters in Atrus' bedroom and Yeesha's
Serenia cloth,
Myst IV is now crashing to the desktop at various random spots in Spire and
Serenia.