Lost Task Manager

Somewhere in the process of multiple Lavasoft Ad-Aware scans my Task Manager
stopped working. Now when I hit Control-Alt-Delete, or right-click the task
bar and select "Task Manager", the Task Manager window appears for only a
second (if at all), then goes away. Sometimes, after the Task Manager
appears/disappears, the Task Manager's little green box/icon shows up at the
lower right of the screen in the task bar; but when I put my cursor over it
to click, it goes away before I can click.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
5 answers Last reply
More about lost task manager

    You have a virus.

    [[When you open System Configuration Utility [MSCONFIG], Registry Editor or
    Task Manager, they flash for a second and quit. This symptom is caused by
    Viruses.]]

    Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ToolsQuit.htm

    Free online virus scans

    Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan

    Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner

    BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan

    Get Your AVG for free!
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

    Whatever you use for Anti Virus, keep it updated.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:Oe43fP7wEHA.1976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    J. Michael Hermens <jmh@trans-pac.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Somewhere in the process of multiple Lavasoft Ad-Aware scans my Task
    > Manager stopped working. Now when I hit Control-Alt-Delete, or
    > right-click the task bar and select "Task Manager", the Task Manager
    > window appears for only a second (if at all), then goes away.
    > Sometimes, after the Task Manager appears/disappears, the Task
    > Manager's little green box/icon shows up at the lower right of the
    > screen in the task bar; but when I put my cursor over it to click, it
    > goes away before I can click.

    Wes,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have Norton Antivirus installed and lately
    have been running it once a day (with the recent program and virus
    definition updates, but it does not find the virus. Will other antivirus
    programs cover viruses not found by Norton? Do I need to uninstall Norton
    to scan with the other programs?
    Thanks for your help,
    Mike

    > You have a virus.
    >
    > [[When you open System Configuration Utility [MSCONFIG], Registry Editor
    > or
    > Task Manager, they flash for a second and quit. This symptom is caused by
    > Viruses.]]
    >
    > Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ToolsQuit.htm
    >
    > Free online virus scans
    >
    > Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
    >
    > Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
    >
    > BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
    > http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php
    >
    > Get Your AVG for free!
    > http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
    >
    > Whatever you use for Anti Virus, keep it updated.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:Oe43fP7wEHA.1976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > J. Michael Hermens <jmh@trans-pac.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Somewhere in the process of multiple Lavasoft Ad-Aware scans my Task
    >> Manager stopped working. Now when I hit Control-Alt-Delete, or
    >> right-click the task bar and select "Task Manager", the Task Manager
    >> window appears for only a second (if at all), then goes away.
    >> Sometimes, after the Task Manager appears/disappears, the Task
    >> Manager's little green box/icon shows up at the lower right of the
    >> screen in the task bar; but when I put my cursor over it to click, it
    >> goes away before I can click.
    >> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    Do msconfig and regedit open? Or do they act the same way as Task Manager?

    Start | Run | Type: msconfig | OK

    Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK

    If they act the same way, you most likely have a virus.

    Is Norton up to date? Make sure you update before running a full system
    scan.

    Follow the advice and links @
    Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ToolsQuit.htm

    No need to uninstall Norton. I have no idea if any of the others will find
    anything that Norton won't. I would not install another anti virus, but it
    wouldn't hurt to do the online scans.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:eNHLZ%23AxEHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,

    On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:51:20 -0800, J. Michael Hermens wrote:

    > Somewhere in the process of multiple Lavasoft Ad-Aware scans my Task Manager
    > stopped working. Now when I hit Control-Alt-Delete, or right-click the task
    > bar and select "Task Manager", the Task Manager window appears for only a
    > second (if at all), then goes away. Sometimes, after the Task Manager
    > appears/disappears, the Task Manager's little green box/icon shows up at the
    > lower right of the screen in the task bar; but when I put my cursor over it
    > to click, it goes away before I can click.
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    Mike, I had this problem with Task Manager once. A common symptom of virus
    or other malware but there were no intrusions found after extensive
    scanning. One day I used Kelly's script for restoring the default taskbar
    settings and the problem cleared up. No idea how or why this worked but it
    did.

    Line #164 on the left side has the download link for the fix that worked
    for me.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Hi Micheal,
    What you can do is restart the computer and enter into safe mode by tapping
    the F8 buttton as soon as U see the computer manufacturer's logo and then
    after entering into Safe Mode try to open Regestry by clicking on Start>>Run
    >>regedit>>and then click on the plus sign of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then click on the plus sign of of System>>and then click on the plus sign of Current Control Set >>and then click on the plus sign of services and search for a service called RpCss highlight that and on the right pane you will find Object Name dpoble Click that and change the value name to LocalSystem type the same as I typed and L should be caps and also S after this close the regestry the editor and try to restart the computer in Normal Mode U have to get the Task bar if not again move to the Safe Mode and try to create a new user account and see to create a new user account you have open Control Panel and then to log in that account in Normal Mode
    if did not work let me know in this account click4sobh@yahoo.com

    From ,
    Sreesobh Edavalath

    "J. Michael Hermens" wrote:

    > Somewhere in the process of multiple Lavasoft Ad-Aware scans my Task Manager
    > stopped working. Now when I hit Control-Alt-Delete, or right-click the task
    > bar and select "Task Manager", the Task Manager window appears for only a
    > second (if at all), then goes away. Sometimes, after the Task Manager
    > appears/disappears, the Task Manager's little green box/icon shows up at the
    > lower right of the screen in the task bar; but when I put my cursor over it
    > to click, it goes away before I can click.

Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP