Lost Task Manager

Somewhere in the process of multiple Lavasoft Ad-Aware scans my Task Manager
stopped working. Now when I hit Control-Alt-Delete, or right-click the task
bar and select "Task Manager", the Task Manager window appears for only a
second (if at all), then goes away. Sometimes, after the Task Manager
appears/disappears, the Task Manager's little green box/icon shows up at the
lower right of the screen in the task bar; but when I put my cursor over it
to click, it goes away before I can click.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You have a virus.

[[When you open System Configuration Utility [MSCONFIG], Registry Editor or
Task Manager, they flash for a second and quit. This symptom is caused by
Viruses.]]

Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ToolsQuit.htm

Free online virus scans

Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan

Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan

Get Your AVG for free!
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

Whatever you use for Anti Virus, keep it updated.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:Oe43fP7wEHA.1976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
J. Michael Hermens <jmh@trans-pac.com> hunted and pecked:
> Somewhere in the process of multiple Lavasoft Ad-Aware scans my Task
> Manager stopped working. Now when I hit Control-Alt-Delete, or
> right-click the task bar and select "Task Manager", the Task Manager
> window appears for only a second (if at all), then goes away.
> Sometimes, after the Task Manager appears/disappears, the Task
> Manager's little green box/icon shows up at the lower right of the
> screen in the task bar; but when I put my cursor over it to click, it
> goes away before I can click.

Wes,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have Norton Antivirus installed and lately
have been running it once a day (with the recent program and virus
definition updates, but it does not find the virus. Will other antivirus
programs cover viruses not found by Norton? Do I need to uninstall Norton
to scan with the other programs?
Thanks for your help,
Mike

> You have a virus.
>
> [[When you open System Configuration Utility [MSCONFIG], Registry Editor
> or
> Task Manager, they flash for a second and quit. This symptom is caused by
> Viruses.]]
>
> Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ToolsQuit.htm
>
> Free online virus scans
>
> Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
>
> Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
>
> BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
> http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php
>
> Get Your AVG for free!
> http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
>
> Whatever you use for Anti Virus, keep it updated.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:Oe43fP7wEHA.1976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> J. Michael Hermens <jmh@trans-pac.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Somewhere in the process of multiple Lavasoft Ad-Aware scans my Task
>> Manager stopped working. Now when I hit Control-Alt-Delete, or
>> right-click the task bar and select "Task Manager", the Task Manager
>> window appears for only a second (if at all), then goes away.
>> Sometimes, after the Task Manager appears/disappears, the Task
>> Manager's little green box/icon shows up at the lower right of the
>> screen in the task bar; but when I put my cursor over it to click, it
>> goes away before I can click.
>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Do msconfig and regedit open? Or do they act the same way as Task Manager?

Start | Run | Type: msconfig | OK

Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK

If they act the same way, you most likely have a virus.

Is Norton up to date? Make sure you update before running a full system
scan.

Follow the advice and links @
Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ToolsQuit.htm

No need to uninstall Norton. I have no idea if any of the others will find
anything that Norton won't. I would not install another anti virus, but it
wouldn't hurt to do the online scans.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:eNHLZ%23AxEHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:51:20 -0800, J. Michael Hermens wrote:

> Somewhere in the process of multiple Lavasoft Ad-Aware scans my Task Manager
> stopped working. Now when I hit Control-Alt-Delete, or right-click the task
> bar and select "Task Manager", the Task Manager window appears for only a
> second (if at all), then goes away. Sometimes, after the Task Manager
> appears/disappears, the Task Manager's little green box/icon shows up at the
> lower right of the screen in the task bar; but when I put my cursor over it
> to click, it goes away before I can click.
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mike, I had this problem with Task Manager once. A common symptom of virus
or other malware but there were no intrusions found after extensive
scanning. One day I used Kelly's script for restoring the default taskbar
settings and the problem cleared up. No idea how or why this worked but it
did.

Line #164 on the left side has the download link for the fix that worked
for me.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Indian

Hi Micheal,
What you can do is restart the computer and enter into safe mode by tapping
the F8 buttton as soon as U see the computer manufacturer's logo and then
after entering into Safe Mode try to open Regestry by clicking on Start>>Run
>>regedit>>and then click on the plus sign of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then click on the plus sign of of System>>and then click on the plus sign of Current Control Set >>and then click on the plus sign of services and search for a service called RpCss highlight that and on the right pane you will find Object Name dpoble Click that and change the value name to LocalSystem type the same as I typed and L should be caps and also S after this close the regestry the editor and try to restart the computer in Normal Mode U have to get the Task bar if not again move to the Safe Mode and try to create a new user account and see to create a new user account you have open Control Panel and then to log in that account in Normal Mode
if did not work let me know in this account click4sobh@yahoo.com

From ,
Sreesobh Edavalath