How do I know if this stuff is working? SATA2, CPU Fan, etc

dgoggins

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Ok everyone...
I just got and installed all of these parts, but how do I know if they are working?

Core2Duo 6400 (with Stock Intel Fan)
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 667 2-512 sticks
WD 2500KS 250 Gig SATA 2 (3.0 gb/s) HD
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 mobo
and some other stuff i dont have questions about.

Ok first, I was able to install Win XP pro sp2 onto the HD without any problems. I didnt need to load any special SATA drivers or anything. However now, how do I know if the Full 3.0 gb/s Speed is active or working? Do I not have to install special SATA drivers?

Second, the stock CPU fan is going at 1000 rpm...shouldnt it be going faster? I just have the default Fan Control options enabled in Bios.

Third, the clock speed multiplier is set at 8x in the Bios, but CPU-z shows a multiplier of 6x and a core speed of 1600 Mhz...though I thought it should be around 2.13 Ghz for a 6400?

Next, how do I find out the CAS timings on the RAM? CPU-z isnt showing this info, nor is there anywhere in the BIOS where I can see it. Any thoughts?

dgoggins

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Does anybody have any ideas with this? Does anybody have the stock intel fan for their core 2 duo and know how many rpm's its getting? Anything would help answer my questions...

dgoggins

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Does anybody have the GA-965P-DS3? Where do you find the CAS timings on the RAM? Bios has options of changing voltages and stuff, but what about the timings...or even viewing the timings?

6x is the speedstepped multiplier, so when it is at rest it only works at 6x, otherwise it will work at 8x, and 1600 approx is the rest speed. I think that most of the articles on C2D covered this kind of information.

I've got a stock fan and is showing 1138 in speedfan at idle, and when it gets warm it goes up to 2800, but I'd imagine that the precise values are mobo dependant.

CPU-z will show my ram timings perhaps your SPD is not being read correctly.