Do two Transceivers = Collision Domain?

To settle an old argument, do two transceivers with a cable between them
(of PHD spec lenght) constitute a valid collision domain? Years ago I was
told that was considered extremely bad practice....

"Hal Kuff" <kuff@tessco.com> wrote:
>To settle an old argument, do two transceivers with a cable between them
>(of PHD spec lenght) constitute a valid collision domain?

Sure, why not? If they both talk at the same time, they'll collide.
[Well, unless they are full-duplex, but then there are no collisions,
so talking about a domain for them isn't sensical...]

>Years ago I was
>told that was considered extremely bad practice....

What was? To put two transcievers on a cable? To consider that a
collision domain?

Maybe I'm missing something, what's "PHD spec lenght"?

Sorry I meant PHY, that is to say the cable length would satisfy minimum
length .....Honestly, there seemed a debate occuring in past years about
whether the spec supported the use of transceivers in this manner.

In article <11ac90c34kvc7ea@corp.supernews.com>,
"Hal Kuff" <kuff@tessco.com> wrote:

> Sorry I meant PHY, that is to say the cable length would satisfy minimum
> length .....Honestly, there seemed a debate occuring in past years about
> whether the spec supported the use of transceivers in this manner.

In the case of 10/100/1000BASE-T, having only two transceivers connected
by a proper cable is the ONLY way to connect them. Unlike
10BASE2/10BASE5 (coaxial Ethernet), you cannot have more than two
transceivers connected to a given cable.

Whether those two transceivers comprise the entire collision domain or
only a portion of it is a function of the hub device (bridge/switch vs.
repeater). Remember, the hub device has an internal transceiver for each
port, and all 10/100/1000BASE-T configurations use only point-to-point
links between pairs of transceivers.

--
Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting
21885 Bear Creek Way

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Hal Kuff wrote:

> To settle an old argument, do two transceivers with a cable
> between them (of PHD spec lenght) constitute a valid collision
> domain?

Any chance of a translation into English for native speakers?

Back in co-ax days, there was a recommended minimum distance between
nodes for proper collision resolution, if that has any relevance to
the question.