Please help me pick out a motherboard ^_^

KodeFoo

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Hello!

I am in a bit of a Techno-bind. I have no idea what motherboard to get with this rig.My total budget is 750 including shipping and BEFORE rebates. I have been doing alot of searching and researching. I am going with socket 939 because the AM2 is just not worth the performance increase for the price. I have never overclocked but it seems like something i could get into. I plan on playing lots of games plus graphix work and so forth.

here is my rig so far:

SAPPHIRE Radeon X1800GTO2 512MB/16 piplines!! (already ordered and on the way)- 229.00(includes shipping)

Antec SONATA II Case w/ 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 Power Supply --- 108.93 including S/H

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 96.00 including S/H

Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit 221.98 including S/H

total = 655.91

$90 left for a motherboard.

I just cannot make a decision with something that i am comfortable with. I do not know enough and also the reviews on newegg are mixed and so i makes me more nerveous. I really like this open box motherboard but i am a little uneasy about getting one because i will not get the accessories along with it. Here is the link for that.

ECS KA1 MVP

I appreciate all your help, Thanks

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
I'd spend the extra cash for AM2 cause it will allow you to run AM3. going Socket 939 is a dead end and definitely not recommended for new build.

if you insist:

ECS is a big no no for overclocking. Do yourself a favor and get at least a DFI nf4 ultra-d. I'd suggest bid on ebay cause a sli-dr can be had for less than $90 easily.

That kingston will not get you the OC you need for the price. Either ebay for G. Skill 2gb DDR400 ZX (tons of them in auction right now) or some DDR500. It should only cost you $170. ZZF has the patriot DDR500 ELk 2GB for $220 and a -30 rebate(much better for you than using the kingston).

Never buy open box!!!!

Again i strongly urge you to stay away from S939 for new build. Anyone here would say AM2 or conroe.

i might wanna consider a dual-core like the X2 3800. The end for single core will come soon. Since you game, it's a no brainer to go dualie cuz new games wll be optimized for them.

AGAIN DO NOT USE S939 FOR NEW BUILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!