Sign in with
Your question

Just ordered my X1950XTX

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 9, 2006 1:04:24 AM

My patience has paid off ... or so it seems.
Just finished placing an order for an ATI Radeon X1950XTX from a site which claims to have the item In Stock. I found only two websites which presently have stock of the X1950, both of which claimed 30 total items.
After completing my order, the site now shows "26" In Stock ... maybe their stock quantity is updated in real-time which would suggest that they actually do have that set number of cards in stock.

With 2-day Fed Ex shipping, my total came to $488. Not bad in comparison to the other websites that are asking, at a baseline, of over $500.

If anyone's interested in ordering this card, just post in response to this thread.

ArbY

More about : ordered x1950xtx

September 9, 2006 1:06:05 AM

Sweet, but better show us some pics and benchies, or else....

:twisted:

You'll enjoy it nice.
September 9, 2006 11:55:48 AM

Well, im glad ur happy, but u could have just bought an X1900XT for 300$.

Its around the same performance (GDD4 dosent do that much), and if u get a 20$ cooler u can OC it way past an X1900XTX (almost the same as the X1950XTX in most games).

Too late now though, next time do more research. If knew this already and just want the card for bragging rights, maybe u should have gotten an X1900 crossfire (2 cards) for around the same horrible price as the single X1950XTX.
Related resources
September 9, 2006 1:04:13 PM

From what I've seen Here, the GDDR4 seems to have horrible latencies, and that is why the performance is not THAT much better than the x1900XTX. (after all, you have seen a 29% improvement in memory clocks!)

Still, its a great card, unarguably the best single GPU card money can buy and debatably faster than any dual-gpu card, sweet :) 
September 9, 2006 1:35:13 PM

If implemented correctly, GDDR4 should present a noticeable performance advantage. In the X1950, it has slightly higher latencies than the GDDR3 cards, but its speed is obviously what makes up for the "delays."

I am satisfied with what I've ordered. I read multiple reviews concerning the video card which is why I am able to say that I ordered it for reasons beyond just gaming benchmarks. Its new cooling solution is quieter and more efficient. The memory itself is manufactured using the 80nm process and consequently can be overclocked, comparitively, beyond the limits of the typical GDDR3 cards. It also looks rather pretty. :) 

Oh, and I'd be more than enthusiastic if you'd kindly show me where I could purchase two X1900 CrossFire cards for $470 or less.
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2006 1:49:16 PM

Do you have a link to the site you bought it from? In stock dates ranged from 9/11 to 9/14 from what I have seen. I'd take the X1950 over a X1900 anyday; a little more performance and a nicer dual slot cooler. You didn't pay that much more than the HIS Ice Q X1900XTX with a similar cooler. If I were buying today, I'd have to choose between the cheapest X1900XT(X), a HIS ice Q X1900XT, or the card you bought. I'd probably go with the cheap one, but I'd be wanting what you bought. Enjoy the card.
September 9, 2006 2:14:24 PM

Quote:
Oh, and I'd be more than enthusiastic if you'd kindly show me where I could purchase two X1900 CrossFire cards for $470 or less.

That would be a trick, eh?
September 9, 2006 2:23:38 PM

Quote:
If implemented correctly, GDDR4 should present a noticeable performance advantage. In the X1950, it has slightly higher latencies than the GDDR3 cards, but its speed is obviously what makes up for the "delays."

I am satisfied with what I've ordered. I read multiple reviews concerning the video card which is why I am able to say that I ordered it for reasons beyond just gaming benchmarks. Its new cooling solution is quieter and more efficient. The memory itself is manufactured using the 80nm process and consequently can be overclocked, comparitively, beyond the limits of the typical GDDR3 cards. It also looks rather pretty. :) 

Not 470$, 600$. for 130$ u can have twice the power.

The new cooling is still loud and bad, anyone who buys a high-end card also gets an aftermarket cooler. At least, anyone smart.. but getting the X1950XTX is anything buy smart, so do what u will, but id rather get that 20$ cooler that is far more quite and has much higher performance.

GDDR4 does next to nothing in some games, but offers up to 15% in a few marked games, so if it was the same price i would get it, just because its newer and obvioulsy better. But the XTX family is a scam, wich u bought into and im sorry for that.

But u might as well be happy, cause its too late. :wink:
September 9, 2006 2:25:10 PM

Quote:
Do you have a link to the site you bought it from? In stock dates ranged from 9/11 to 9/14 from what I have seen. I'd take the X1950 over a X1900 anyday; a little more performance and a nicer dual slot cooler. You didn't pay that much more than the HIS Ice Q X1900XTX with a similar cooler. If I were buying today, I'd have to choose between the cheapest X1900XT(X), a HIS ice Q X1900XT, or the card you bought. I'd probably go with the cheap one, but I'd be wanting what you bought. Enjoy the card.

For less than $300 you can have an X1900XT with a better cooling solution than the overpriced His ice Q X1900XT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... $274.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...
$22.99

$297.98 8)

Then you can use the money you saved on a couple of new games.
September 9, 2006 3:14:40 PM

Quote:

The new cooling is still loud and bad, anyone who buys a high-end card also gets an aftermarket cooler. At least, anyone smart.. but getting the X1950XTX is anything buy smart, so do what u will, but id rather get that 20$ cooler that is far more quite and has much higher performance.

GDDR4 does next to nothing in some games, but offers up to 15% in a few marked games, so if it was the same price i would get it, just because its newer and obvioulsy better. But the XTX family is a scam, wich u bought into and im sorry for that.

Still, I'm interested in seeing how you might go about providing an X1900 CrossFire configuration for $600.
You obviously need to spend some more time reading and less time writing as it's becoming quite clear you know less than what you'd like everyone to believe.

According to hardware reviews, the new cooling solution isn't "loud and bad."
Quote:
Speaking of the thermal solution, it is worth noting that ATI has put quite abit of effort into improving the aural impact of its hardware. The X1900 XTX is not only the loudest card around, but it also possesses a shrill and quite annoying sound quality. In contrast, the X1950 XTX is not overly loud even during testing when the fan runs at full speed, and the sound is not as painful to hear. We are also delighted to find that ATI no longer spins the fan at full speed until the drivers load. After the card spins up, it remains quiet until it gets hot. ATI has upgraded their onboard fan header to a 4-pin connection (following in the footsteps of NVIDIA and Intel), allowing them a more fine grained control over their fan speed.

Quote:
The time I've spent with the Radeon X1950XTX over the last week or so has been a pleasure. ATI has listened to feedback we've given during our previous Radeon X1800 and Radeon X1900-series reviews and has taken some action for the good - it's about time, in that respect. The new cooling solution is fantastic and I'm seriously considering getting hold of one of these babies for my own system.

Anyone "smart" would brush up on their facts before coming across as authoritarian, pompous and simply arrogant.

And again, your opinion is quashed by those of professionals.
You said, "but getting the X1950XTX is anything buy smart"

Quote:
While the X1900 XTX made its debut at over $600USD, this new product launch sees a card with a bigger, better HSF and faster memory debuting at a much lower "top end" price of $450. We never recommended the X1900 XTX over the X1900 XT due to the small performance gain, but those small differences add up and with ATI turning their back on the X1900 XTX for its replacement. We can finally say that there is a tangible difference between the top two cards offered by ATI.

Quote:
This preliminary look into the single-card operations bodes very well for the red company from up north. At $449 the Radeon X1950XTX is a very nice buy. If you plan an upgrade in the near future, this new addition sweetens the deal.

Yes, the XTX family is a scam. :roll: Oh the horror! How could ATI offer performance & image quality at competitive prices!? Instead of spending $350 on a 1900XT, we should spend $550 on a GX2 ... now that's smart buying!

I also appreciate your insight into the matter regarding areas you have no understanding of. The order for the X1950XTX was placed yesterday, Friday. The company does not operate on the weekends and asks that buyers allow 24-48 hrs for processing before the item ships. It is certainly not too late. And although I still have the opportunity to cancel the order, I most certainly won't. I'm quite content knowing it'll perform up to par with my gaming needs, and that's all that matters -- my satisfaction. :) 
September 9, 2006 3:19:41 PM

Quote:

Please clarify exactly what you mean by "twice the power". Twice the power consumption? You'd be pretty close there. Twice the frame rate? Don't count on it.

Quote:

This sounds too much like a crusade. $470 is a healthy price to pay for a graphics card, but it's nothing to get worked up over. I talked to a guy the other day that just popped a grand for a Blu Ray. If I was in need of dropping a grand, I'd probably spend it on two 1950s or an X6800 before a single Blu Ray. Yikes! Alas, I do not have that problem...
September 9, 2006 3:36:38 PM

Quote:

Still, I'm interested in seeing how you might go about providing an X1900 CrossFire configuration for $600.
You obviously need to spend some more time reading and less time writing as it's becoming quite clear you know less than what you'd like everyone to believe.

Quote:
Speaking of the thermal solution, it is worth noting that ATI has put quite abit of effort into improving the aural impact of its hardware. The X1900 XTX is not only the loudest card around, but it also possesses a shrill and quite annoying sound quality. In contrast, the X1950 XTX is not overly loud even during testing when the fan runs at full speed, and the sound is not as painful to hear. We are also delighted to find that ATI no longer spins the fan at full speed until the drivers load. After the card spins up, it remains quiet until it gets hot. ATI has upgraded their onboard fan header to a 4-pin connection (following in the footsteps of NVIDIA and Intel), allowing them a more fine grained control over their fan speed.

Quote:
The time I've spent with the Radeon X1950XTX over the last week or so has been a pleasure. ATI has listened to feedback we've given during our previous Radeon X1800 and Radeon X1900-series reviews and has taken some action for the good - it's about time, in that respect. The new cooling solution is fantastic and I'm seriously considering getting hold of one of these babies for my own system.

Anyone "smart" would brush up on their facts before coming across as authoritarian, pompous and simply arrogant.

And again, your opinion is quashed by those of professionals.
You said, "but getting the X1950XTX is anything buy smart"

Quote:
While the X1900 XTX made its debut at over $600USD, this new product launch sees a card with a bigger, better HSF and faster memory debuting at a much lower "top end" price of $450. We never recommended the X1900 XTX over the X1900 XT due to the small performance gain, but those small differences add up and with ATI turning their back on the X1900 XTX for its replacement. We can finally say that there is a tangible difference between the top two cards offered by ATI.

Quote:
This preliminary look into the single-card operations bodes very well for the red company from up north. At $449 the Radeon X1950XTX is a very nice buy. If you plan an upgrade in the near future, this new addition sweetens the deal.

Yes, the XTX family is a scam. :roll: Oh the horror! How could ATI offer performance & image quality at competitive prices!? Instead of spending $350 on a 1900XT, we should spend $550 on a GX2 ... now that's smart buying!

I also appreciate your insight into the matter regarding areas you have no understanding of. The order for the X1950XTX was placed yesterday, Friday. The company does not operate on the weekends and asks that buyers allow 24-48 hrs for processing before the item ships. It is certainly not too late. And although I still have the opportunity to cancel the order, I most certainly won't. I'm quite content knowing it'll perform up to par with my gaming needs, and that's all that matters -- my satisfaction. :) 

Man your getting a nice video card! dont worry about what the other jealouse people are saying.

When you get it let us know how high you can clock that memory up too! 8)
September 9, 2006 5:51:02 PM

Quote:

Did i just get insulted by a hardware noob ??
Son, u have no idea who ur talking to. I know more abt graphics cards then u can imagine. I dont know what u hope to accomplish by calling me un-educated, except maybe ur starting to feel bad abt buying that horribly overpriced card, but then again u can cancel the order, or can u?

All i was trying to do was save u money. You obviously are aware of cards like the X1900XT and the 7950 GX2 wich have a MUCH better price/performance then the X1950XTX. So why arent u buying those? If u can cancel the order do it now, before its too late and get a better card.
Why do u think that ATI did not release an X1950XT? Because they want stupid un-knowledged ppl like u to buy into this GDDR4 bullshit, wich isnt worth buying an XTX card, nothing is.

Its "loud and bad" compared to a 20$ VF900 or Accelero X2.

Oh, and u wanted CrossFire X1900 for 600$?
Ill give u an X1900XTX Crossfire for 550$!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
Best option for someone with an SLI motherboard, otherwise its the 7950 GX2 or the X1900XT for the lower priced cards.

Enjoy ur new card. I know i do.
September 9, 2006 5:52:37 PM

Quote:
Son, u have no idea who ur talking to. I know more abt graphics cards then u can imagine.

And yet you think X1900GT has 36 pipes. :lol: 
September 9, 2006 6:05:25 PM

Quote:

Son, u have no idea who ur talking to. I know more abt graphics cards then u can imagine.

:roll:

Quote:
Best option for someone with an SLI motherboard, otherwise its the 7950 GX2 or the X1900XT for the lower priced cards.

Enjoy ur new card. I know i do.

You really are a genius. You can't have a crossfire configuration in an SLI board. The chipsets are what determine such compatibility. Oh, but you were only testing me, right? You know more "abt" graphics cards "then" I can imagine. :roll:

Also, "smart" people (as you so aptly put it) don't calculate their final buying price based on Mail-In Rebates. That card is $426.99 -- you will pay $426.99 when you go to buy it. You will, however, be redeemed $150 if the Mail-In Rebate ever goes through and makes it back home.

So, it looks like I'm still waiting on that $600 CrossFire configuration you've been going on about...
September 9, 2006 6:08:09 PM

No, i was just thinking of the 7950 GX2, sorry abt that.

Look, im tired of arguing with u, and if u dont respect mail-in rebates then ive got nothing left to say to u.
September 9, 2006 6:10:09 PM

Quote:
You can't have a crossfire configuration in an SLI board.

I hate to break it too you but yes you can. People have done it with driver hacks I believe.

And as for that Track guy, what a tool :roll:
September 9, 2006 6:15:13 PM

I've "heard" of that as well.

But even if it is "possible," it seems far from practical.
September 9, 2006 6:22:45 PM

Newegg has the new 256mb HIS X1900xt for $300, hehe, I'll wait for couple more days for price to drop and buy one. But congrat to you though, X1950XTX is awesome, 7950GX2 needs to do more work for driver.
September 9, 2006 6:43:53 PM

I'm so envious! Hope you enjoy the fastest single GPU solution. :) 
September 9, 2006 6:49:24 PM

Quote:
The new cooling is still loud and bad, anyone who buys a high-end card also gets an aftermarket cooler. At least, anyone smart.. but getting the X1950XTX is anything buy smart, so do what u will, but id rather get that 20$ cooler that is far more quite and has much higher performance...

All this from a guy that thinks he knows more than a reviewer, but never used either product himself, gg. :roll: I love people that make claims but yet have no experience themselves on the matter at hand:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Accelero-X2-VF9...

Funny I don't recall anyone comparing the X2 or vf900 to the NEW ATI cooler. Which happens to be the same cooler as the HIS IceQ 3 cooler. But there are a couple people: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewforum.php?f=19&sid... there that have purchased the x1900xt(x) with the new cooler and say there is no reason for an aftermarket cooler. AND THESE ARE PEOPLE WHERE SILENCE/NOISE REDUCTION ARE A TOP PRIORITY.

Not to mention the fact that the vf900 is not $20.
a c 176 U Graphics card
September 9, 2006 7:38:40 PM

Damnit Track, now I have to clean my monitor. I blew my lunch out my mouth when I read,

Quote:
You obviously are aware of cards like the X1900XT and the 7950 GX2 wich have a MUCH better price/performance then the X1950XTX.

Looking back at it now, I see the price/performance part. When I read it the first time, it sounded like you were claiming the x1900XT was faster then the x1950xtx. (probably becuase the 1900 is a 48pipeline card right???) Thankfully it went on the monitor, sandwich out the nose hurts...

If you've got the money to burn, the x1950 is a great card. 2 out of stock cards aren't going to be able to touch it. I don't know about you track, but I don't have the $928.71 to drop on those cards either. Thats counting shipping and tax, before the rebate. I'd give you the rebate, but its not instant, so I still have to come up with the extra $300. ($150 X 2)

Quote:

Care to show me a gaming benchmark where this $600 CF solution is even 50% faster then the x1950? I know its nowhere near twice.

Quote:

I might be more impressed "abt" your graphics card knowledge if you started posting information that was correct...
September 9, 2006 9:21:04 PM

Quote:
Newegg has the new 256mb HIS X1900xt for $300, hehe, I'll wait for couple more days for price to drop and buy one. But congrat to you though, X1950XTX is awesome, 7950GX2 needs to do more work for driver.

Wait on this to come back in stock. Cheaper and with 512mb memory. 8)

a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2006 12:05:33 AM

IMO The acero is not better than the ice Q or X1950XTX cooler. I am not a fan of coolers that circulate hot air inside the case and raise case temps 5 degrees.
September 10, 2006 3:01:16 AM

I don't know, while I don't think the coolers that are ducted to exhaust out the back of the case are bad at all. I think they're overhyped. On my 6800gt I've ran the vf700 and NV Silencer and other than a slight difference in temp on the gpu between the two coolers (between the 2, the card would idle around 53-56C depending on the day). I can't say I ever saw an increase/decrease in case/system/chipset/cpu temps from using one over the other. At least nothing significant enough that could be linked to the use of one of the coolers.

When I ran the LPUT Ultra-D I used the bottom pci slot for sound and tried for a while using the bottom pcie slot for video. I can say the lack of airflow around the video card when using the lower pcie slot (because of the close proximity of it to the sound card) resulted in higher gpu temps more than anything (about a 4C rise). So I would say if other temps are rising because your gpu cooler isn't venting out the back, sounds more like an overall airflow problem than a gpu cooler problem.
September 10, 2006 3:10:43 AM

Quote:
IMO The acero is not better than the ice Q or X1950XTX cooler. I am not a fan of coolers that circulate hot air inside the case and raise case temps 5 degrees.

It absolutley does not raise the temps inside your case 5 degrees unless you dont have a case with at least 1 intake fan and 1 exhaust fan to keep air circulating. This has to be one of the biggest misconceptions about the X2 ever and it doesnt require a case with monster airflow.

Most gamers that have a card on the caliber of a X1900XT have at least your basic case air flow as I mentioned so it want be a problem. After I installed mine I observed temps of the motherboard and other components and nothing changed at all. Not even 1 deg celcius.

The HIS Ice Q X1900 series is making an absolute killing off of people with those rediculouse prices.
September 10, 2006 3:13:20 AM

Quote:
I don't know, while I don't think the coolers that are ducted to exhaust out the back of the case are bad at all. I think they're overhyped. On my 6800gt I've ran the vf700 and NV Silencer and other than a slight difference in temp on the gpu between the two coolers (between the 2, the card would idle around 53-56C depending on the day). I can't say I ever saw an increase/decrease in case/system/chipset/cpu temps from using one over the other. At least nothing significant enough that could be linked to the use of one of the coolers.

When I ran the LPUT Ultra-D I used the bottom pci slot for sound and tried for a while using the bottom pcie slot for video. I can say the lack of airflow around the video card when using the lower pcie slot (because of the close proximity of it to the sound card) resulted in higher gpu temps more than anything (about a 4C rise). So I would say if other temps are rising because your gpu cooler isn't venting out the back, sounds more like an overall airflow problem than a gpu cooler problem.

Couldnt have summed it up better 8)
September 10, 2006 3:15:35 AM

Quote:

No need for that - you're doing a fine job of playing the fool all on your own...

Quote:
I know more abt graphics cards then u can imagine.

But you don't know as much as you think.

Quote:

Uggh, Mr. Grahics Expert??? You seem to have forgotten that you need the XFire edition card to go along with that XTX. To buy the Xfire edition card plus the XTx through Newegg will cost you $598 after MIRs. Your up front payment will be $898. And I don't care if people say they have run XFire on SLI boards, I wouldn't bet the farm that you could pull it off.
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2006 1:15:45 PM

Quote:
It absolutley does not raise the temps inside your case 5 degrees unless you dont have a case with at least 1 intake fan and 1 exhaust fan to keep air circulating. This has to be one of the biggest misconceptions about the X2 ever and it doesnt require a case with monster airflow.

While it may have little effect for some people, You can't make a blanket statement that it doesn't raise case temps nor even believe the PR statement that it is 1 degree only. I've seen user claims and reviews say it does raise temps. But it's going to depend on the exact case design and air flow. Somone like myself with a quiet case and low rpm 120mm fans may run into more of a problem. An increase in case temps would up the speed of the PSU fans which barely have to churn in my case. I can't add any more exhaust fans, so instead would have to increase the current fan's rpm. I'd like to try the accelero and see.

We'll have to ask Cleeve if he measured the accelero case temps. He mentions a 4 degree C increase in temp for the VR1 which to me was representing all the cards in the review:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/30/vga_heat_pipe_co...

"On a side note, there are those who would be concerned with the fact that the stock cooler dumps VGA-card-heated air out of the back of the case, but all of the aftermarket coolers in this comparison feed it back into the case. In our tests we were only able to detect a 4°C temperature difference in the case when comparing the stock cooler and the KuFormula VF1 Plus. While this isn't a huge difference, others have reported much larger temperature differences, because this is dependent on the air flow of each specific case. This is something the overclocking crowd should definitely keep in mind."

I'd be curious to know if he took notice whether or not the increse of 4 degrees kicked up his PSU fans or not. If so, then case temps would have been even higher compared to keeping those fans the same speed.

FS showed an 8 degree increase in case temps comparing stock @ 100 % to Accelero at 100%. That's huge, but of course, who wants to listen to the stock cooler at 100%. 8O But now switch over to the HIS or X1950XTX cooler and it would be intersting to see the difference. http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/vga_cooler_roundup_...
September 10, 2006 1:32:42 PM

Quote:

While it may have little effect for some people, You can't make a blanket statement that it doesn't raise case temps nor even believe the PR statement that it is 1 degree only. I've seen user claims and reviews say it does raise temps. But it's going to depend on the exact case design and air flow. Somone like myself with a quiet case and low rpm 120mm fans may run into more of a problem. An increase in case temps would up the speed of the PSU fans which barely have to churn in my case. I can't add any more exhaust fans, so instead would have to increase the current fan's rpm. I'd like to try the accelero and see.

We'll have to ask Cleeve if he measured the accelero case temps. He mentions a 4 degree C increase in temp for the VR1 which to me was representing all the cards in the review:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/30/vga_heat_pipe_co...

"On a side note, there are those who would be concerned with the fact that the stock cooler dumps VGA-card-heated air out of the back of the case, but all of the aftermarket coolers in this comparison feed it back into the case. In our tests we were only able to detect a 4°C temperature difference in the case when comparing the stock cooler and the KuFormula VF1 Plus. While this isn't a huge difference, others have reported much larger temperature differences, because this is dependent on the air flow of each specific case. This is something the overclocking crowd should definitely keep in mind."

I'd be curious to know if he took notice whether or not the increse of 4 degrees kicked up his PSU fans or not. If so, then case temps would have been even higher compared to keeping those fans the same speed.

FS showed an 8 degree increase in case temps comparing stock @ 100 % to Accelero at 100%. That's huge, but of course, who wants to listen to the stock cooler at 100%. 8O http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/vga_cooler_roundup_...

Oh well to each his own I guess. It works out great for me and my other friend with a similar setup. 8)
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2006 1:38:02 PM

Glad to hear yours works so well. I have the Zalman VF 900 CU on lowest speed in one system but I like to try the Accelero out also.
September 10, 2006 1:45:46 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear yours works so well. I have the Zalman VF 900 CU on lowest speed in one system but I like to try the Accelero out also.

You really should, I think you would be suprised!
September 10, 2006 2:29:42 PM

Quote:
Sweet, but better show us some pics and benchies, or else....

:twisted:

You'll enjoy it nice.

Show us some benchies of your X1900GT. Have you OC'd anything yet? What did you do with your T-Bird junker?

Quote:
And yet you think X1900GT has 36 pipes.

Yours unlocks?
September 10, 2006 2:35:21 PM

Quote:

For less than $300 you can have an X1900XT with a better cooling solution than the overpriced His ice Q X1900XT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... $274.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...
$22.99

$297.98 8)

Then you can use the money you saved on a couple of new games.

That Accelero won't do much for the GF MX4000 that was the first product in THIS LIST.
September 10, 2006 2:37:48 PM

Quote:

Please clarify exactly what you mean by "twice the power". Twice the power consumption? You'd be pretty close there. Twice the frame rate? Don't count on it.

:trophy: Nice one!
a c 176 U Graphics card
September 10, 2006 4:32:07 PM

Quote:

And yet you think X1900GT has 36 pipes.

Yours unlocks?

Hey, lets not start that again!
September 14, 2006 12:28:02 AM

My X1950XTX arrived today ... and it's lookin' mighty fine even sitting bare atop my kitchen table along with all the other components ... strewn about.
It's all plugged in and working ... it's just my case isn't set to arrive 'til tomorrow. :\

Been running Memtest86+ on the Mushkin eXtreme Performance DDR2-800 (4-4-3-10) for 2.5 hours now -- no errors. Everything is running great. Can't wait to see how this machine will eat Windows and Counter-Strike. :p 
September 14, 2006 2:36:55 AM

Quote:
My X1950XTX arrived today ... and it's lookin' mighty fine even sitting bare atop my kitchen table along with all the other components ... strewn about.
It's all plugged in and working ... it's just my case isn't set to arrive 'til tomorrow. :\

Been running Memtest86+ on the Mushkin eXtreme Performance DDR2-800 (4-4-3-10) for 2.5 hours now -- no errors. Everything is running great. Can't wait to see how this machine will eat Windows and Counter-Strike. :p 

Great looking rig! Excellent!
September 14, 2006 3:17:51 AM

Quote:

It looks great. Happy games!
a c 176 U Graphics card
September 14, 2006 1:42:21 PM

While I don't count Inq. as a news sources/anything reliable, its nice to see people other then me who think G80 is going to blow chunks. I also have heard more rumor then anything else, and it really seems no one knows anything about that chip. (so close to "launch" make me suspect NO ONE at Nvidia knew what they were doing either.) What I hear mostly however is that DX10 is an afterthought. That G80 is merely G70/71 with some DX10 stuff slapped on. As long as R600 does even better on DX9, it seems that ATI has a chance to kick major @$$.
September 14, 2006 1:59:36 PM

You're right on there imo. Not to mention that even if you take Track's 1900xtx card into account the cheapest crossfire card on newegg would still run the price up to $700 even after rebates. The crossfire card would also downclock that cards memory a from 1550 to 1450.
People shouldn't be so quick to call noobness, they just might toss their foot (or both) in their mouths in the process as it appears he did.

Bottom line its a great card you ordered. I will likely soon buy a 1900XT but mostly due to price. If I was willing to spend the $ I'd get a 1950XTX in a heartbeat, spend your money as you see fit. Its nice to get "good" criticism on products but attacking someones intelligence isn't productive for anyone.

Enjoy that card!
September 14, 2006 2:28:33 PM

Quote:
You're right on there imo. Not to mention that even if you take Track's 1900xtx card into account the cheapest crossfire card on newegg would still run the price up to $700 even after rebates. The crossfire card would also downclock that cards memory a from 1550 to 1450.
People shouldn't be so quick to call noobness, they just might toss their foot (or both) in their mouths in the process as it appears he did.

Bottom line its a great card you ordered. I will likely soon buy a 1900XT but mostly due to price. If I was willing to spend the $ I'd get a 1950XTX in a heartbeat, spend your money as you see fit. Its nice to get "good" criticism on products but attacking someones intelligence isn't productive for anyone.

Enjoy that card!

I agree with what you're saying. I saw the same sort of pricing on newegg. I just recently ordered an x1900xt (having problems with it, i think its defective and sending it back). I payed 347 for it. They have x1900xtx for 300 bucks now. Thats a good deal. If you're not going to pay 480+ for the x1950xtx, go for the x1900xtx for 180 bucks cheaper.
September 14, 2006 2:34:10 PM

Quote:

Based on what evidence?

Are you making this up as you go along?
September 14, 2006 3:05:19 PM

Quote:
While I don't count Inq. as a news sources/anything reliable, its nice to see people other then me who think G80 is going to blow chunks. I also have heard more rumor then anything else, and it really seems no one knows anything about that chip. (so close to "launch" make me suspect NO ONE at Nvidia knew what they were doing either.) What I hear mostly however is that DX10 is an afterthought. That G80 is merely G70/71 with some DX10 stuff slapped on. As long as R600 does even better on DX9, it seems that ATI has a chance to kick major @$$.

I got a kick out of this on one of those links:

"Doing a little math, 12 * 32 gives you a 384b wide bus. On the odder side, if you take any of the common card memory capacities, 256 and 512MB and divide them by 12, you end up with about 21 or 42MB chips, a size not commonly found in commodity DRAMs. If 12 chips are destined for production, you will end up with a marketers nightmare in DRAM capacities, 384/768 is not a consumer friendly number."

Consumer friendly number? Engineer Bob gets reprimanded by marketer Tim for building cards with the "wrong" amount of RAM. Tim sez: "Bob, the public is used to either 256, 512, 1024, etc. This 384 you came up with is all wrong!" Bob replies: "Yes, Tim but you also want me to deliver a specified performance for the minimum cost and our bandwidth calculations showed that 768 is the right target." Tim: "Screw the bandwidth, we're dealing with an ignorant public - lie and tell them it's 512."

Typos edited.
a c 176 U Graphics card
September 14, 2006 5:32:06 PM

Quote:
Tim: "Screw the bandwidth, we're dealing with an ignorant public - lie and tell them it's 512."

While I laughed the first time I read this, for some reason it isn't so funny anymore. Why do I have this bad feeling this might not be so far off the mark?
September 14, 2006 6:56:44 PM

Quote:
Tim: "Screw the bandwidth, we're dealing with an ignorant public - lie and tell them it's 512."

While I laughed the first time I read this, for some reason it isn't so funny anymore. Why do I have this bad feeling this might not be so far off the mark?

I've walked out of electronics materials R&D annual planning meetings having heard those kinds of arguments and been so bumfuddled, I could'nt keep from randomly walking into walls. When some folks get their hands on projection spread sheets and meet behind closed doors, they get dollars in their eyes and ANYTHING perceived as an impediment to THEIR success must be eradicated. Beware, innocent budding engineers, the real world is much more than arch and clock.

In the early 80's, I worked in a group that tried unsuccessfully to produce optical grade polycarbonate for CD applications. I can't disclose the details of the circus, but the brunt of it was that one marketing guy looked at the R&D reports, asked a few questions to see if he was interpreting them right and was clearly told that he was wrong on every single count. He then presented everything wrong at the annual business meeting to huge applause and hundreds of millions of dollars were invested. I personally went to his boss with the report I had written with my team and told him about the interpretation meeting and all of the feedback we gave that was ignored. The boss told me to stick with science and leave the business to them. I warned them that their product would not meet spec and was hustled out the door. So plant capacity was increased and production began. The product would not meet spec and fell flat on its face. Eventually, they bought competitor's product and repackaged it as their own and sold it to try to save face. If I could just have one tenth of a percent of the money they threw away on that boondoggle...
September 14, 2006 8:17:38 PM

That is just it Clue69less...

They did get 1/10th of the money for that boondoggle.

This is a sad but true statement. Amazing to see managers DE-Scope items so they can make the release date and therefore get the bonus for meeting the dates.

The product is less than half of what was needed but we met the dates == ($$$$$$) for upper management.
September 14, 2006 8:28:42 PM

Quote:
That is just it Clue69less...

They did get 1/10th of the money for that boondoggle.

This is a sad but true statement. Amazing to see managers DE-Scope items so they can make the release date and therefore get the bonus for meeting the dates.

The product is less than half of what was needed but we met the dates == ($$$$$$) for upper management.

Truth! [/Nausea]
!