MystIV: Some graphical display corruption

Last response: in Video Games
November 8, 2004 2:38:04 PM

Hello,

I've just installed Myst IV: Revelation and i just in the beginning of the
game.

I enter the home (office/lab) of Atrus (just before he asks me to help him
modulate some sound-waves). When i step into his house/lab and do one step
to the right, i see some graphical corruption on the furniture of the lab.
Many small black rectangular blocks on top of the furniture's textures. When
i move, the pattern of these small blocks change. It happens only on certain
spots, not everywhere. It seems that a hidden 'blocky' texture 'tries' to
become visible.

I have 2.4GHz Intel PentiumIV computer, WindowsXP SP2, Ati Radeon 9700 with
driver version 4.9, 2GByte RAM. My system in not over-clocked in any way.

First i thought my video-card may be overheating or something, but i tried
to play the game right after i start up the computer (so that the internal
temperature is still low): I saw the same 'blocky' corruption.

Anyone has a similar problem? Do i need to set some settings in the
display-drivers to get rid of this corruption?

It does not prevent me from being able to play the game, but it does not
look good.

Help is appreciated :)
-- Anton.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 8:42:53 PM

Anton,

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 11:38:04 -0500, "Anton Spaans" <aspaans at(noSPAM)
smarttime dot(noSPAM) com> wrote:

>I've just installed Myst IV: Revelation and i just in the beginning of the
>game.
>
>I enter the home (office/lab) of Atrus (just before he asks me to help him
>modulate some sound-waves). When i step into his house/lab and do one step
>to the right, i see some graphical corruption on the furniture of the lab.
>Many small black rectangular blocks on top of the furniture's textures. When
>i move, the pattern of these small blocks change. It happens only on certain
>spots, not everywhere. It seems that a hidden 'blocky' texture 'tries' to
>become visible.

Do you have the latest drivers for your video card installed ? Also,
Ubisoft have released a patch for Revelation, you may want to try that
as well:

http://www.mystworlds.com/us/archives.php?mois=11&annee...

Regards,
Gilles.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 8:42:54 PM

"Gilles Kohl [MVP]" <gilles@_deletethisincludingunderlines_compuserve.com>
wrote in message news:ua8vo0dg5v4juqbu7fo0nade9tfuceu1oc@4ax.com...
> Anton,
>
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 11:38:04 -0500, "Anton Spaans" <aspaans at(noSPAM)
> smarttime dot(noSPAM) com> wrote:
>
> >I've just installed Myst IV: Revelation and i just in the beginning of
the
> >game.
> >
> >I enter the home (office/lab) of Atrus (just before he asks me to help
him
> >modulate some sound-waves). When i step into his house/lab and do one
step
> >to the right, i see some graphical corruption on the furniture of the
lab.
> >Many small black rectangular blocks on top of the furniture's textures.
When
> >i move, the pattern of these small blocks change. It happens only on
certain
> >spots, not everywhere. It seems that a hidden 'blocky' texture 'tries' to
> >become visible.
>
> Do you have the latest drivers for your video card installed ? Also,
> Ubisoft have released a patch for Revelation, you may want to try that
> as well:

http://www.mystworlds.com/us/archives.php?mois=11&annee...
497435058b13847f1966983e0d2#8913

> Regards,
> Gilles.

Hi Gilles,

I have version 4.9 of my display drivers installed. I saw that 4.10 just
came out. I'll try to use/install those and check if the problem disappears.

I have the latest patch of MystIV installed as well ( it was the first thing
i did after installing the game itself :=) )

-- Anton.
November 9, 2004 12:34:57 AM

"Anton Spaans" <aspaans at(noSPAM) smarttime dot(noSPAM) com> wrote in
message news:tpednZrLi9VxPRLcRVn-sw@speakeasy.net...
> Hello,
>
> I've just installed Myst IV: Revelation and i just in the beginning of the
> game.
>
> I enter the home (office/lab) of Atrus (just before he asks me to help him
> modulate some sound-waves). When i step into his house/lab and do one step
> to the right, i see some graphical corruption on the furniture of the lab.
> Many small black rectangular blocks on top of the furniture's textures.
> When
> i move, the pattern of these small blocks change. It happens only on
> certain
> spots, not everywhere. It seems that a hidden 'blocky' texture 'tries' to
> become visible.
>
> I have 2.4GHz Intel PentiumIV computer, WindowsXP SP2, Ati Radeon 9700
> with
> driver version 4.9, 2GByte RAM. My system in not over-clocked in any way.
>
> First i thought my video-card may be overheating or something, but i tried
> to play the game right after i start up the computer (so that the internal
> temperature is still low): I saw the same 'blocky' corruption.
>
> Anyone has a similar problem? Do i need to set some settings in the
> display-drivers to get rid of this corruption?
>
> It does not prevent me from being able to play the game, but it does not
> look good.
>
> Help is appreciated :)
> -- Anton.

It was the patch that caused the corruption.
I replaced the patched version of m4_shaderlib_rd.dll with the original from
the DVD.
Now, the display corruption is fixed.
See also:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100...
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 12:35:45 AM

"Anton Spaans" <aspaans at(noSPAM) smarttime dot(noSPAM) com> wrote in
message news:tpednZrLi9VxPRLcRVn-sw@speakeasy.net...
> Hello,
>
> I've just installed Myst IV: Revelation and i just in the beginning of the
> game.
>
> I enter the home (office/lab) of Atrus (just before he asks me to help him
> modulate some sound-waves). When i step into his house/lab and do one step
> to the right, i see some graphical corruption on the furniture of the lab.
> Many small black rectangular blocks on top of the furniture's textures.
> When
> i move, the pattern of these small blocks change. It happens only on
> certain
> spots, not everywhere. It seems that a hidden 'blocky' texture 'tries' to
> become visible.
>
> I have 2.4GHz Intel PentiumIV computer, WindowsXP SP2, Ati Radeon 9700
> with
> driver version 4.9, 2GByte RAM. My system in not over-clocked in any way.
>
> First i thought my video-card may be overheating or something, but i tried
> to play the game right after i start up the computer (so that the internal
> temperature is still low): I saw the same 'blocky' corruption.
>
> Anyone has a similar problem? Do i need to set some settings in the
> display-drivers to get rid of this corruption?
>
> It does not prevent me from being able to play the game, but it does not
> look good.
>
> Help is appreciated :)
> -- Anton.

It was the patch that caused the corruption.
I replaced the patched version of m4_shaderlib_rd.dll with the original from
the DVD.
Now, the display corruption is fixed.
See also:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100...
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 10:24:48 PM

Your solution fixed my viewing problems. Thanks for the tip.

!