Simulating Network Latency

Been looking for a program that can simulate network latency. We have a
problem with an embedded controller, that seems to suffer from network
latency. Most of our clients are using networks that feed from a Mfg plant
to a corporate network. We are afraid that the delay is significant, and
that our application times out.

I have seen "DUMMYNET", for Linux. I am basically looking for a Windows
solution. A multihomed PC or Laptop, running software that can slow down
(add delay) to packets. WE want to test inhouse.

Let me know if you know any programs.

Thank you

"TECH_NEWS" <info@tcdood.com> wrote:
>I have seen "DUMMYNET", for Linux. I am basically looking for a Windows
>solution. A multihomed PC or Laptop, running software that can slow down
>(add delay) to packets. WE want to test inhouse.

It's not very difficult to write such a thing, I hacked up a traffic
generator in C under DOS a few years back using the packet interface,
which does most things you need. Besides, if you develop it yourself,
it's trivial to add features...

I am not aware of a free windows solution.

Installing linux sounds easier to me that writing the code.

There are commercial solutions. Maybe you could hire one.

Maybe DummyNet is for FreeBSD?

>From my notes I have:-
[I have not looked at these sites for a while; caveat emptor]

http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/
This looks like the HOME page.

http://www.csm.ornl.gov/~dunigan/net100/netlinks.html
Dunigan's Network Performance links
Has *network emulators* list. Good.

http://www.zti-telecom.com/pages/main-ip.htm
Commercial Network test software
NetDisturb, LanTraffic V2, IP Traffic - Test & Measure.

TECH_NEWS wrote:

> Been looking for a program that can simulate network latency. We
> have a problem with an embedded controller, that seems to suffer from
> network latency. Most of our clients are using networks that feed
> from a Mfg plant to a corporate network. We are afraid that the
> delay is significant, and that our application times out.
>
> I have seen "DUMMYNET", for Linux. I am basically looking for a
> Windows solution. A multihomed PC or Laptop, running software that
> can slow down (add delay) to packets. WE want to test inhouse.
>
> Let me know if you know any programs.

Only Windows based software that I know of is Shunra's product.

--

hsb

greearb

Distinguished