Simulating Network Latency

Last response: in Networking
June 11, 2005 5:39:29 PM

Been looking for a program that can simulate network latency. We have a
problem with an embedded controller, that seems to suffer from network
latency. Most of our clients are using networks that feed from a Mfg plant
to a corporate network. We are afraid that the delay is significant, and
that our application times out.

I have seen "DUMMYNET", for Linux. I am basically looking for a Windows
solution. A multihomed PC or Laptop, running software that can slow down
(add delay) to packets. WE want to test inhouse.

Let me know if you know any programs.

Thank you
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 12:41:21 AM

"TECH_NEWS" <info@tcdood.com> wrote:
>I have seen "DUMMYNET", for Linux. I am basically looking for a Windows
>solution. A multihomed PC or Laptop, running software that can slow down
>(add delay) to packets. WE want to test inhouse.

It's not very difficult to write such a thing, I hacked up a traffic
generator in C under DOS a few years back using the packet interface,
which does most things you need. Besides, if you develop it yourself,
it's trivial to add features...
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:53:48 AM

I am not aware of a free windows solution.

Installing linux sounds easier to me that writing the code.

There are commercial solutions. Maybe you could hire one.

Maybe DummyNet is for FreeBSD?

>From my notes I have:-
[I have not looked at these sites for a while; caveat emptor]

http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/
This looks like the HOME page.

http://www.csm.ornl.gov/~dunigan/net100/netlinks.html
Dunigan's Network Performance links
Has *network emulators* list. Good.

http://www.zti-telecom.com/pages/main-ip.htm
Commercial Network test software
NetDisturb, LanTraffic V2, IP Traffic - Test & Measure.
June 16, 2005 4:20:21 AM

TECH_NEWS wrote:

> Been looking for a program that can simulate network latency. We
> have a problem with an embedded controller, that seems to suffer from
> network latency. Most of our clients are using networks that feed
> from a Mfg plant to a corporate network. We are afraid that the
> delay is significant, and that our application times out.
>
> I have seen "DUMMYNET", for Linux. I am basically looking for a
> Windows solution. A multihomed PC or Laptop, running software that
> can slow down (add delay) to packets. WE want to test inhouse.
>
> Let me know if you know any programs.

Only Windows based software that I know of is Shunra's product.

--

hsb

September 2, 2009 12:25:06 AM

Candela Technologies (www.candelatech.com) has a network emulator product called LANforge-ICE that works on Windows (and Linux and Solaris).