Simulating Network Latency

Been looking for a program that can simulate network latency. We have a
problem with an embedded controller, that seems to suffer from network
latency. Most of our clients are using networks that feed from a Mfg plant
to a corporate network. We are afraid that the delay is significant, and
that our application times out.

I have seen "DUMMYNET", for Linux. I am basically looking for a Windows
solution. A multihomed PC or Laptop, running software that can slow down
(add delay) to packets. WE want to test inhouse.

Let me know if you know any programs.

Thank you
4 answers Last reply
More about simulating network latency

    "TECH_NEWS" <info@tcdood.com> wrote:
    >I have seen "DUMMYNET", for Linux. I am basically looking for a Windows
    >solution. A multihomed PC or Laptop, running software that can slow down
    >(add delay) to packets. WE want to test inhouse.

    It's not very difficult to write such a thing, I hacked up a traffic
    generator in C under DOS a few years back using the packet interface,
    which does most things you need. Besides, if you develop it yourself,
    it's trivial to add features...

    I am not aware of a free windows solution.

    Installing linux sounds easier to me that writing the code.

    There are commercial solutions. Maybe you could hire one.

    Maybe DummyNet is for FreeBSD?

    >From my notes I have:-

    http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/
    This looks like the HOME page.

    http://www.csm.ornl.gov/~dunigan/net100/netlinks.html
    Dunigan's Network Performance links
    Has *network emulators* list. Good.

    http://www.zti-telecom.com/pages/main-ip.htm
    Commercial Network test software
    NetDisturb, LanTraffic V2, IP Traffic - Test & Measure.

    TECH_NEWS wrote:

    > Been looking for a program that can simulate network latency. We
    > have a problem with an embedded controller, that seems to suffer from
    > network latency. Most of our clients are using networks that feed
    > from a Mfg plant to a corporate network. We are afraid that the
    > delay is significant, and that our application times out.
    >
    > I have seen "DUMMYNET", for Linux. I am basically looking for a
    > Windows solution. A multihomed PC or Laptop, running software that
    > can slow down (add delay) to packets. WE want to test inhouse.
    >
    > Let me know if you know any programs.

    Only Windows based software that I know of is Shunra's product.

    --

    hsb

  4. Candela Technologies (www.candelatech.com) has a network emulator product called LANforge-ICE that works on Windows (and Linux and Solaris).

Latency Ethernet Card Networking