First build stress testing Question

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
HI, I fianly got all the hardware today for my first build, I heard that it is a good idea to stress test the system before instaling aps and such, and overall using the pc

What tests should I run, for how long should they be run, and what software shoul I use to test the entire system(ram, cpu, and such)

Thx for all info

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
thx for the reply
is the prime 95 a test of teh cpu? (i think it is)
for how long should i run the tests , will lets say 5 hours of each be enough for each test, or less would suffice? btw would it be ok to "use" the pc for some things and then runt the tests? or is it recommended to run all tests before "other" programs, apps are run (like instaling the antivirus software, office, and such?)

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
btw i dont think that i will be overclocking now, i might do so in about a year or 2, but i wanted to make shoor that all will be ok(while my hardware is under waranty) :wink:

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
You shouldn't really worry about it unless you're overclocking.

Get Prime95, and run dual sessions for a couple of hours atleast.

Run Memtest also, to see if memory is causing any issues.

Word.

glockman

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I'll second the vote for Memtest, it really helped me identify a bad stick of RAM on a recent server build - make sure you download the Memtest+ version - the version w/o the plus I first downloaded did not fully support my chipset.

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
running them overnight is ideal but like again, if you are not OCing, a couple of hours should do.

Errors usually show up in the first couple of passes in memtest but the longer you run it the better.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
i read that the prime one if im not mistaken shopuld be run for that 24 hours (thats the info from prime's site) , will it matter if i would lets say play some games to check them out, and then run the tests? or should they all be done before all other apps/programs are run?
thx

o29

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Well, the point of stress testing is to identify possible problems. Or, if you're trying to "burn in" your ArcticSilver 5. Besides that, if you're having no problems, you don't really need to run it.

Overclockers run it to make sure their overclock is stable. Since you're not overclocking, unless you're having problems, you don't really need to worry about it.

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
dont do anything intensive when you run prime, you can surf the web and use messenger but dont play a game at the same time.