window explorer

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

It took my PC 3 minutes to view a content or property of a folder
using window explorer and when I want to bring up the window dialog box to
save a word doc, it took me almost 5 minutes. The CPU usage is only 5% and
available memory is 300 MB. Can anyone please help me to solve this very
slow speed problem? Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about window explorer
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Try this link..
    Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/slowrightclick.htm

    "supernova" <abc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > It took my PC 3 minutes to view a content or property of a
    > folder
    > using window explorer and when I want to bring up the window dialog box to
    > save a word doc, it took me almost 5 minutes. The CPU usage is only 5%
    > and
    > available memory is 300 MB. Can anyone please help me to solve this very
    > slow speed problem? Thanks.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Make an exact note of the precise text of any error message. Minor
    discrepancies can
    make it harder to search for information about the error message.

    You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools,
    Event Viewer.
    When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event
    ID, Source
    and Description are important.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

    Part of the Description of the error will include a link, which you
    should double click
    for further information and you can copy using copy and paste.
    http://go.microsoft.com/fw.link/events.asp
    (Please note the hyperlink above is for illustration purposes only)

    A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
    click on the
    error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a button
    resembling two
    pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your
    message
    (email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the
    info from the
    Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make
    sure this is
    the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

    Links giving some information about specific Error Reports are:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/support/ee.asp

    http://www.eventid.net/search.asp

    These links, however, do not contain information about each and every
    Error Report.

    In Event Viewer there is no facility to print Error Reports. A
    workaround is copy and
    paste the Error Report into an email, send it to yourself and print off
    the copy in your
    Inbox or your Sent Items folder.

    --

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "supernova" <abc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > It took my PC 3 minutes to view a content or property of a
    > folder
    > using window explorer and when I want to bring up the window dialog
    > box to
    > save a word doc, it took me almost 5 minutes. The CPU usage is only
    > 5% and
    > available memory is 300 MB. Can anyone please help me to solve this
    > very
    > slow speed problem? Thanks.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Opening a Folder Takes a Long Time
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153114

    "supernova" <abc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > It took my PC 3 minutes to view a content or property of a
    folder
    > using window explorer and when I want to bring up the window dialog box to
    > save a word doc, it took me almost 5 minutes. The CPU usage is only 5%
    and
    > available memory is 300 MB. Can anyone please help me to solve this very
    > slow speed problem? Thanks.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    And the hardisk red light is always on. Is this normal?

    "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Opening a Folder Takes a Long Time
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153114
    >
    > "supernova" <abc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> It took my PC 3 minutes to view a content or property of a
    > folder
    >> using window explorer and when I want to bring up the window dialog box
    >> save a word doc, it took me almost 5 minutes. The CPU usage is only 5%
    > and
    >> available memory is 300 MB. Can anyone please help me to solve this very
    >> slow speed problem? Thanks.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    No. It may run a lot if you are running with less than 256MB of ram because
    of heavy reliance on the swap file. Disk defragmentation can also run the
    drive for a lengthy period. It sounds more like an unsuccessful search for
    something is under way. Have you removed a program recently? If so, try
    reinstalling it and then uninstalling it again with Add/Remove Programs or
    the program's own unistaller.

    ""Allen Iverson"" <no_spam@bk.com> wrote in message
    > And the hardisk red light is always on. Is this normal?
    >

    > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Opening a Folder Takes a Long Time
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153114
    >>
    >> "supernova" <abc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> It took my PC 3 minutes to view a content or property of a
    >> folder
    >>> using window explorer and when I want to bring up the window dialog box
    >>> save a word doc, it took me almost 5 minutes. The CPU usage is only 5%
    >> and
    >>> available memory is 300 MB. Can anyone please help me to solve this very
    >>> slow speed problem? Thanks.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    How about virtual memory setup? Does it matter in this case?

    > No. It may run a lot if you are running with less than 256MB of ram
    > because of heavy reliance on the swap file. Disk defragmentation can also
    > run the drive for a lengthy period. It sounds more like an unsuccessful
    > search for something is under way. Have you removed a program recently?
    > If so, try reinstalling it and then uninstalling it again with Add/Remove
    > Programs or the program's own unistaller.
    >
    > ""Allen Iverson"" <no_spam@bk.com> wrote in message
    >> And the hardisk red light is always on. Is this normal?
    >>

    >> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> Opening a Folder Takes a Long Time
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153114
    >>>
    >>> "supernova" <abc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> folder
    >>> and

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Can anyone please help?

    > How about virtual memory setup? Does it matter in this case?

    >> No. It may run a lot if you are running with less than 256MB of ram
    >> because of heavy reliance on the swap file. Disk defragmentation can
    >> also run the drive for a lengthy period. It sounds more like an
    >> unsuccessful search for something is under way. Have you removed a
    >> program recently? If so, try reinstalling it and then uninstalling it
    >> again with Add/Remove Programs or the program's own unistaller.
    >>
    >> ""Allen Iverson"" <no_spam@bk.com> wrote in message
    >>> And the hardisk red light is always on. Is this normal?
    >>>

    >>> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > Can anyone please help?
    >

    > ""Allen Iverson"" <no_spam@bk.com> wrote in message
    >> How about virtual memory setup? Does it matter in this case?
    >>
    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> No. It may run a lot if you are running with less than 256MB of ram
    >>> because of heavy reliance on the swap file. Disk defragmentation can
    >>> also run the drive for a lengthy period. It sounds more like an
    >>> unsuccessful search for something is under way. Have you removed a
    >>> program recently? If so, try reinstalling it and then uninstalling it
    >>> again with Add/Remove Programs or the program's own unistaller.
    >>>
    >>> ""Allen Iverson"" <no_spam@bk.com> wrote in message

Microsoft Explorer Windows XP