supernova

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

It took my PC 3 minutes to view a content or property of a folder
using window explorer and when I want to bring up the window dialog box to
save a word doc, it took me almost 5 minutes. The CPU usage is only 5% and
available memory is 300 MB. Can anyone please help me to solve this very
slow speed problem? Thanks.

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Try this link..
Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/slowrightclick.htm

"supernova" <abc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> It took my PC 3 minutes to view a content or property of a
> folder
> using window explorer and when I want to bring up the window dialog box to
> save a word doc, it took me almost 5 minutes. The CPU usage is only 5%
> and
> available memory is 300 MB. Can anyone please help me to solve this very
> slow speed problem? Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Make an exact note of the precise text of any error message. Minor
discrepancies can
make it harder to search for information about the error message.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools,
Event Viewer.
When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event
ID, Source
and Description are important.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

Part of the Description of the error will include a link, which you
should double click
for further information and you can copy using copy and paste.
http://go.microsoft.com/fw.link/events.asp
(Please note the hyperlink above is for illustration purposes only)

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the
error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a button
resembling two
pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your
message
(email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the
info from the
Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make
sure this is
the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

Links giving some information about specific Error Reports are:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/support/ee.asp

http://www.eventid.net/search.asp

These links, however, do not contain information about each and every
Error Report.

In Event Viewer there is no facility to print Error Reports. A
workaround is copy and
paste the Error Report into an email, send it to yourself and print off
the copy in your
Inbox or your Sent Items folder.

--

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"supernova" <abc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> It took my PC 3 minutes to view a content or property of a
> folder
> using window explorer and when I want to bring up the window dialog
> box to
> save a word doc, it took me almost 5 minutes. The CPU usage is only
> 5% and
> available memory is 300 MB. Can anyone please help me to solve this
> very
> slow speed problem? Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Opening a Folder Takes a Long Time
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153114

"supernova" <abc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> It took my PC 3 minutes to view a content or property of a
folder
> using window explorer and when I want to bring up the window dialog box to
> save a word doc, it took me almost 5 minutes. The CPU usage is only 5%
and
> available memory is 300 MB. Can anyone please help me to solve this very
> slow speed problem? Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

And the hardisk red light is always on. Is this normal?

"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> Opening a Folder Takes a Long Time
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153114
>
> "supernova" <abc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> It took my PC 3 minutes to view a content or property of a
> folder
>> using window explorer and when I want to bring up the window dialog box
>> save a word doc, it took me almost 5 minutes. The CPU usage is only 5%
> and
>> available memory is 300 MB. Can anyone please help me to solve this very
>> slow speed problem? Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

No. It may run a lot if you are running with less than 256MB of ram because
of heavy reliance on the swap file. Disk defragmentation can also run the
drive for a lengthy period. It sounds more like an unsuccessful search for
something is under way. Have you removed a program recently? If so, try
reinstalling it and then uninstalling it again with Add/Remove Programs or
the program's own unistaller.

""Allen Iverson"" <no_spam@bk.com> wrote in message
> And the hardisk red light is always on. Is this normal?
>

> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Opening a Folder Takes a Long Time
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153114
>>
>> "supernova" <abc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It took my PC 3 minutes to view a content or property of a
>> folder
>>> using window explorer and when I want to bring up the window dialog box
>>> save a word doc, it took me almost 5 minutes. The CPU usage is only 5%
>> and
>>> available memory is 300 MB. Can anyone please help me to solve this very
>>> slow speed problem? Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

How about virtual memory setup? Does it matter in this case?

> No. It may run a lot if you are running with less than 256MB of ram
> because of heavy reliance on the swap file. Disk defragmentation can also
> run the drive for a lengthy period. It sounds more like an unsuccessful
> search for something is under way. Have you removed a program recently?
> If so, try reinstalling it and then uninstalling it again with Add/Remove
> Programs or the program's own unistaller.
>
> ""Allen Iverson"" <no_spam@bk.com> wrote in message
>> And the hardisk red light is always on. Is this normal?
>>

>> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Opening a Folder Takes a Long Time
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153114
>>>
>>> "supernova" <abc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> folder
>>> and

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Can anyone please help?

> How about virtual memory setup? Does it matter in this case?

>> No. It may run a lot if you are running with less than 256MB of ram
>> because of heavy reliance on the swap file. Disk defragmentation can
>> also run the drive for a lengthy period. It sounds more like an
>> unsuccessful search for something is under way. Have you removed a
>> program recently? If so, try reinstalling it and then uninstalling it
>> again with Add/Remove Programs or the program's own unistaller.
>>
>> ""Allen Iverson"" <no_spam@bk.com> wrote in message
>>> And the hardisk red light is always on. Is this normal?
>>>

>>> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003