Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Enermax Liberty 500W
Asus P5B
E6600
Corsiar DDR2 800 2Gb kit
MSI x1900xt
Seagate 320gb

I turned on the power supply, and saw the light on the motherboard come on, so I know I have power. I hit the power switch and everything comes to life for 1 second and then shuts down. What did I do wrong?

Make sure everything is plugged in and properly seated.
Make sure CPU Heatsink fan is connected to M/B Fan1 and its turning and receiving an RPM signal in the CMOS health, and the heatsink is properly seated on the CPU and temp is not too high in CMOS health.

b29

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
The only cable coming off the CPU heatsink/fan is plugged into the slot labeled CPU_FAN, which is where it told me to put it in the manuel. The fan spins (as do all fans) when I hit the power button, but it promptly turns right off. Nothing will stay on longer than 1 second, although the power light on the motherboard stays lit.

crualtortus

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
stop sucking at life and maybe it will consider you worthy of usage XD I plan on building almost the same exact set up.

E6600
800 2GB ram
connect 3d x1900xt
2 x 250 gig WD drives in raid
X-fi platium
Ultra 550w sli
unknown mobo

but I cant help ya. if i had all the parts i would help you but i just need to save up for the ram, mobo, and processor, all other shit i got.

b29

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I've taken everything back out, have the mobo sitting on it's box next to the tower. I plugged in power to the board, ram, video card and power to video card. Connected video to monitor, and then shorted the power switch jumpers. Same result, fan spins up and then stops.

EDIT: Okay, this just proves that it's my first build. For anyone else experiencing this problem, make sure you check and use the correct power plug for the CPU. I was using the wrong one appearantly. Boots fine now.