Inkjet recommendations

Newbie to this group...

My old printer just packed up (instead of feeding our paper, it fed out
it's gears!). Probably beyond service, so a new one is needed.

I need one primarily for printing black text on normal paper,
occasionally red text, and approx 2-3 photo's per month, ideally from my
digital camera. I also need the main body to fit on the shelf which is
25cm deep (10inches), with no possibility of pushing it back further. I
don't mind the output try overhanging (but if it can be easily
folded/removed, gr8!)

Want to spend about £100 on it... was looking at the Epson R300. Others
i should look at ? Any problems with the R300 ? Does the ink dry up etc?

TIA

P.s. I'm in the UK

zakezuke

> Want to spend about £100 on it... was looking at the Epson R300.
> Others i should look at ? Any problems with the R300 ? Does the
> ink dry up etc?

The r300 has the micropiezo head. While there are some key advantages
to this... one disadvantage is the head will foul if exposed to air. I
had a very very bad r200 experence... and if i'm not mistaken they
share the same head. They tend to clog if you look at them funny.

Others would reccomend the ip4000. Do take them seriously. Do take
the time to print out your pictures the r300 and from something else
and make your own judgement. I prefer the r200's photo printing to the
ip4000 personaly, and the epson dye ink is more lightfast than Canon's
bci-6 ink. But even taking these facts into account, I abandoned my
r200 in favor of an ip3000 and mp780.

The ip4000R has one edge that epson doesn't have in the consumer line
of inkjets, wireless and network support. I think £125 is fair and
reasonable.

Also there is the ip5000 with the higher resolution but 5 ink tanks.
And the ip6000 with 6 tanks and a screen. This at least is close to
the r300 in terms of features and also has the light cyan/magenta inks.
Some might argue that the light inks on the canons fade more
quickly... which is probally true as canon inks are not known for the
lightfastness. But both of these I suspect cost more than £100...
probally closer to £150. There is also the mp760 but I strongly
suspect that fetches closer to £250 and is basicly the ip4000. This
is their all in one unit. I speak of the ip6000 and mp760 only because
they have onboard screens and onboard printing from memory cards. All
these options print on CDs.

"Ian Cornish" <"icornish at talk21 dot com"> wrote in message
> Newbie to this group...
>
> My old printer just packed up (instead of feeding our paper, it fed out
> it's gears!). Probably beyond service, so a new one is needed.
>
> I need one primarily for printing black text on normal paper, occasionally
> red text, and approx 2-3 photo's per month, ideally from my digital
> camera. I also need the main body to fit on the shelf which is 25cm deep
> (10inches), with no possibility of pushing it back further. I don't mind
> the output try overhanging (but if it can be easily folded/removed, gr8!)
>
> Want to spend about £100 on it... was looking at the Epson R300. Others i
> should look at ? Any problems with the R300 ? Does the ink dry up etc?
>
> TIA
>
> P.s. I'm in the UK

Canon IP4000.

--
Derek

"Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Ian Cornish" <"icornish at talk21 dot com"> wrote in message
>> Newbie to this group...
>>
>> My old printer just packed up (instead of feeding our paper, it fed out
>> it's gears!). Probably beyond service, so a new one is needed.
>>
>> I need one primarily for printing black text on normal paper,
>> occasionally red text, and approx 2-3 photo's per month, ideally from my
>> digital camera. I also need the main body to fit on the shelf which is
>> 25cm deep (10inches), with no possibility of pushing it back further. I
>> don't mind the output try overhanging (but if it can be easily
>> folded/removed, gr8!)
>>
>> Want to spend about £100 on it... was looking at the Epson R300. Others i
>> should look at ? Any problems with the R300 ? Does the ink dry up etc?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> P.s. I'm in the UK
>
> Canon IP4000.

Just noticed you say 'ideally from my digital camera'; the IP4000 I
recommend does not have an LCD for preview and editing, if that's important
to you.

--
Derek

Ian Cornish wrote:

> Newbie to this group...
>
> My old printer just packed up (instead of feeding our paper, it fed
> out it's gears!). Probably beyond service, so a new one is needed.
>
> I need one primarily for printing black text on normal paper,
> occasionally red text, and approx 2-3 photo's per month, ideally from
> my digital camera. I also need the main body to fit on the shelf which
> is 25cm deep (10inches), with no possibility of pushing it back
> further. I don't mind the output try overhanging (but if it can be
> easily folded/removed, gr8!)
>
> Want to spend about £100 on it... was looking at the Epson R300.
> Others i should look at ? Any problems with the R300 ? Does the ink
> dry up etc?
>
> TIA
>
> P.s. I'm in the UK

THE R300 IS A VERY GOOD PRINTER BUT THE CANON IP4000 IS MUCH BETTER.
THE CANON HAS TWIN PAPER FEEDS, PRINTS DUPLEX AUTOMATICALLY, PRINTS CD
IN UK, IS BETTER AT PHOTO AND IS AT LEAST EQUAL ON TEXT. PLUS IT IS
MUCH MORE ECONOMICAL ON INK.

THE EPSON IS A REAL INK GUZZLER AND IN THE UK HAS NO ADVANTAGES OVER THE
CANON IP4000.

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message

> Ian Cornish wrote:
>
>> Newbie to this group...
>>
>> My old printer just packed up (instead of feeding our paper, it fed out
>> it's gears!). Probably beyond service, so a new one is needed.
>>
>> I need one primarily for printing black text on normal paper,
>> occasionally red text, and approx 2-3 photo's per month, ideally from my
>> digital camera. I also need the main body to fit on the shelf which is
>> 25cm deep (10inches), with no possibility of pushing it back further. I
>> don't mind the output try overhanging (but if it can be easily
>> folded/removed, gr8!)
>>
>> Want to spend about £100 on it... was looking at the Epson R300. Others i
>> should look at ? Any problems with the R300 ? Does the ink dry up etc?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> P.s. I'm in the UK
>

> THE R300 IS A VERY GOOD PRINTER BUT THE CANON IP4000 IS MUCH BETTER. THE
> CANON HAS TWIN PAPER FEEDS, PRINTS DUPLEX AUTOMATICALLY, PRINTS CD IN UK,
> IS BETTER AT PHOTO AND IS AT LEAST EQUAL ON TEXT. PLUS IT IS MUCH MORE
> ECONOMICAL ON INK.
>
> THE EPSON IS A REAL INK GUZZLER AND IN THE UK HAS NO ADVANTAGES OVER THE
> CANON IP4000.

Don't shout.

--
Derek

zakezuke

> Yep certainly can reccomend the ip4000 or ip5000, I use the ip5000,
> you'l find they'er more econiomical, don't use chipped tanks and you
> can see the ink inside.

This will change come september. The ip4200, ip5200, ip5200D, the
ip6100D, ip6200D, ip6600D all use chipped tanks as well as the mp500
and mp800.
The ip4200, ip5200(R), and ip6600D the 1pl models. The ip6100D and
6200D are 2pl and look like they take two tanks, photo and color.
Confusing!

These are new and are likely hitting the US first, but i'm starting to
see the inks for sale on french websites.

Thanks to all who recommend the Canon pixma 4000. Picked one up today,
and it works like a dream. Am very impressed with the print speed and
quality.

Thanks

Ian Cornish wrote:
> Newbie to this group...
>
> My old printer just packed up (instead of feeding our paper, it fed out
> it's gears!). Probably beyond service, so a new one is needed.
>
> I need one primarily for printing black text on normal paper,
> occasionally red text, and approx 2-3 photo's per month, ideally from my
> digital camera. I also need the main body to fit on the shelf which is
> 25cm deep (10inches), with no possibility of pushing it back further. I
> don't mind the output try overhanging (but if it can be easily
> folded/removed, gr8!)
>
> Want to spend about £100 on it... was looking at the Epson R300. Others
> i should look at ? Any problems with the R300 ? Does the ink dry up etc?
>
> TIA
>
> P.s. I'm in the UK

davy

Yep certainly can reccomend the ip4000 or ip5000, I use the ip5000,
you'l find they'er more econiomical, don't use chipped tanks and you
can see the ink inside.

Had the 5000 now about 3 months and not one single manual head clean
to date nor any print problem, the 4000 & 5000 are basically the
same the 5000 having a 1pl print capability but this is only on 'photo
paper pro' setting, obviously the 4000 is a 2pl printer.

Davy

BE SURE NOT TO RUIN IT. USE CANON OEM INKS.

Ian Cornish wrote:

> Thanks to all who recommend the Canon pixma 4000. Picked one up today,
> and it works like a dream. Am very impressed with the print speed and
> quality.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian Cornish wrote:
>
>> Newbie to this group...
>>
>> My old printer just packed up (instead of feeding our paper, it fed
>> out it's gears!). Probably beyond service, so a new one is needed.
>>
>> I need one primarily for printing black text on normal paper,
>> occasionally red text, and approx 2-3 photo's per month, ideally from
>> my digital camera. I also need the main body to fit on the shelf
>> which is 25cm deep (10inches), with no possibility of pushing it back
>> further. I don't mind the output try overhanging (but if it can be
>> easily folded/removed, gr8!)
>>
>> Want to spend about £100 on it... was looking at the Epson R300.
>> Others i should look at ? Any problems with the R300 ? Does the ink
>> dry up etc?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> P.s. I'm in the UK

zakezuke

> Is this really any surprise? Canon has been foregoing the main income
> generator of inkjet printers, the ink, for a couple of years now while
> trying to reestablish a market after the disaster printers they produced
> for years. It's now time for them to take advantage of all those people
> who have been singing the praises of Canon printers, even if much of
> that might have been due to the "free ink" that came with them (the fact
> that refilling was easy and generic ink cartridges were very cheap).

I'm shocked to be honest. Assuming the BCI-7s in japan represent the
same cost as the BCI-6s in america the cli-8s are higher in price by a
couple of bucks putting them in the same price range as epson inks.
Canon could either keep things the same and not bother chipping the
tanks, or take the time to chip the tanks in the hopes it would yield a
greater profit. Given the fact that Epson chips and resetters are
available everywhere... I don't see this helping them sell more ink. I
see this as creating a market for chips raising the cost of OEM tanks.

Hopefully one will hack the rom on the canon making chips unnessicary.

Is this really any surprise? Canon has been foregoing the main income
generator of inkjet printers, the ink, for a couple of years now while
trying to reestablish a market after the disaster printers they produced
for years. It's now time for them to take advantage of all those people
who have been singing the praises of Canon printers, even if much of
that might have been due to the "free ink" that came with them (the fact
that refilling was easy and generic ink cartridges were very cheap).
What people will remember is not that one of the main reasons for the
push by users of these printers was the ink cost issue, but that Canon
printers are "the ones" to buy.

Now, Canon is calling in the loan, with a chipped cartridge, just like
everyone else in the industry.

So, just like the other printers, ink will become a major expense, and
they will probably continue to have poor color management, fading dye
inks, and heads that need replacement due to burn out.

I predicted Canon would do this about a year or so ago. I couldn't see
how they could continue to subsidize the cost of the printers without
getting some money back on the ink sales.

Art

zakezuke wrote:

>>Yep certainly can reccomend the ip4000 or ip5000, I use the ip5000,
>>you'l find they'er more econiomical, don't use chipped tanks and you
>>can see the ink inside.
>

> This will change come september. The ip4200, ip5200, ip5200D, the
> ip6100D, ip6200D, ip6600D all use chipped tanks as well as the mp500
> and mp800.
> The ip4200, ip5200(R), and ip6600D the 1pl models. The ip6100D and
> 6200D are 2pl and look like they take two tanks, photo and color.
> Confusing!
>
> These are new and are likely hitting the US first, but i'm starting to
> see the inks for sale on french websites.

zakezuke

> I was in Fry's Electronics last weekend to shop for a computer for the kid
> ready to go back to school. There were plenty of computers to choose from.
> But when I looked for a Canon ip3000 I was told that it was out of stock.
> I was in shock when I also fund ip4000 was out of stock too. They were out
> of stock out of a dozen or so Fry's Electronics. The only thing that's in
> stock was the ip4200 with chipped cartridges. I did not even want to look at
> it. I would get an HP if I have to deal with chips.

> Canon is such a poor managed company that at the peak of back to school season
> their most popular printers ip3000 and ip4000 are not in stock to catch the easy
> money. In fact by looking at Fry's inventory (the sales showed me on their computer)
> there is no printers that I will consider to buy at all.

The ip3000 and ip4000 are still in stock on newegg, compusa... a number
of local dealers. Just because Fry's doesn't have them doesn't mean
they do not exist.

Canon can be stupid at times, but this isn't one of those times. Last
season they offered rebates and low prices to sell off their stock of
printers. I bought my ip3000 a few months ago when it was on sale for
$65ish... could have got a rebate of $20 but I was lazy. But I'm not
surprised they are out of stock... the price was good, so good you had
to ask your self if you owned an older model whether you should buy a
new printer or new ink as after the rebate they were about the same
price. So now the school season is here they have new printers... new
printers with chipped ink tanks. This isn't a dumb move at all. They
clearly gave this much thought otherwise they wouldn't have waited till
september to release it. Plenty of canon printers on the market...
just Fry's is out of last years model. Buy a new one or get an old one
elsewhere... no problem.

> I think the chip idea on their printers is one to give back their market share
> back to HP and Epson.

The only, and I mean the only users chips affect are refillers and
aftermarket inks. I'll admit i'm annoyed with this as well. I see
this as raising the price of refilled ink by a fair amount. For now
you have your choice, buy the ip5000 or buy the ip4200.

[...]

JC

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Is this really any surprise? Canon has been foregoing the main income
> generator of inkjet printers, the ink, for a couple of years now while
> trying to reestablish a market after the disaster printers they produced
> for years. It's now time for them to take advantage of all those people
> who have been singing the praises of Canon printers, even if much of
> that might have been due to the "free ink" that came with them (the fact
> that refilling was easy and generic ink cartridges were very cheap).
> What people will remember is not that one of the main reasons for the
> push by users of these printers was the ink cost issue, but that Canon
> printers are "the ones" to buy.
>
> Now, Canon is calling in the loan, with a chipped cartridge, just like
> everyone else in the industry.
>
> So, just like the other printers, ink will become a major expense, and
> they will probably continue to have poor color management, fading dye
> inks, and heads that need replacement due to burn out.
>
> I predicted Canon would do this about a year or so ago. I couldn't see
> how they could continue to subsidize the cost of the printers without
> getting some money back on the ink sales.
>
> Art
>
> zakezuke wrote:
>
>>> Yep certainly can reccomend the ip4000 or ip5000, I use the ip5000,
>>> you'l find they'er more econiomical, don't use chipped tanks and you
>>> can see the ink inside.
>>

>> This will change come september. The ip4200, ip5200, ip5200D, the
>> ip6100D, ip6200D, ip6600D all use chipped tanks as well as the mp500
>> and mp800.
>> The ip4200, ip5200(R), and ip6600D the 1pl models. The ip6100D and
>> 6200D are 2pl and look like they take two tanks, photo and color.
>> Confusing!
>>
>> These are new and are likely hitting the US first, but i'm starting to
>> see the inks for sale on french websites.

Canon knows exactly what they are doing... why would they want to sell a
ton of "last years" printers which were missing the newest feature (a
chipped ink cartridge)? The whole point is to move people into this
newer line of product so they can capture that ink cartridge market
during a peak sales period.

Well, it certainly "evens out" the playing field somewhat. ;-)

Art