Gigabit Ethernet connector

Hi All,

I need to find a standard gigabit connector (1000BaseT) smaller than the
RJ45, is there any?
It´s driving me almost crazy finding one!!

Thanks!

-------------------------------------

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
comp.dcom.lans.ethernet - 2924 messages and counting!

gnathita wrote:

> I need to find a standard gigabit connector (1000BaseT) smaller than the
> RJ45, is there any?
> It´s driving me almost crazy finding one!!

I've certainly never heard of one. What makes you think one exists? Have
you considered running a cable right to the board?

gnathita wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I need to find a standard gigabit connector (1000BaseT) smaller than the
> RJ45, is there any?
> It´s driving me almost crazy finding one!!

You might try an SATA connector--it's not a lot smaller but it's flatter and
the impedance is right. Just make sure you label it so that nobody tries
to connect it to a disk or disk controller. A couple of the smaller
Firewire connectors might work--Firewire is, I understand, 110 ohm, which
should be close enough as long as you're not pushing the limit on cable
length, but you'd need to use two of them as they're only two-pair. And
good luck connecting a CAT5e cable to either.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

gnathita_at_gmail_dot_com@foo.com (gnathita) wrote:
>I need to find a standard gigabit connector (1000BaseT) smaller than the
>RJ45, is there any?

Other than the RJ45 (and maybe the 110 punch block) there are no
standards-compliant connectors for TP Ethernet. I'd say your only
option would be to run a cable directly to the board, ensuring
crosstalk, impedance, and other parameters are within spec.

What are you trying to fit this into that an RJ45 is too big?