Who in the world still uses their serial ports?

Do you still use ANYTHING that uses the serial port?

• Yes, every day!

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I have some stuff that does, but I don''''t use it very much.

Votes: 31 44.9%
  • Whats a DB-9 serial port?

Votes: 13 18.8%

• Total voters

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Seriously, who does? Not that I see anything wrong with it, but I'm trying to figure out why all the motherboard makers see fit to include one on every board. Even the highest end ones, brand spankin' new are including them. Even some LAPTOPS, where space is at a premium, are still including them. So obviously, there MUST be some market for them. Or perhaps there is a different reason... Anyone know why?

Just for clarification, I'm talking about the DB-9 port, not the USB or SATA ports that both include "serial" in their name.

Dave262

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Many routers also require a DB-9 connector for the console connections - in laptops this is especially useful for a technician ;)

G

There ARE MB's without a serial connector. I was horrified when I found out that my new MB had none.

drcroubie

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
ME!

I build telecommunications equipment (basically, it's an embedded PowerPC running Linux off a Compact Flash card).

Once the unit's booted, we can just ssh into it, sure. But for debugging, watching the bootup messages, for kernel upgrading using PPCboot, and especially for problems with ethernet when we can't ssh into it, we gotta use the serial connection.

In fact, i don't quite like my computer at work, as it only has ONE serial port (afaik, it's an asus a7vx-mx or sumfin), not even an internal one. so i'm constantly swapping my serial cable between up to 4 units for testing. Most of the time it's easier to hook up one serial cable per unit to one computer, and ssh into multiple PCs and use minicom from there.

So a normal day for me at work involves 1 HyperTerminal, and 3 Putty windows to 3 other PCs in the office, each running minicom to multiple units under test (plus a TFTP server and lord knows what else). Anyone know where to get a PCI-based ComPort card (with 3-4 ports preferably)??

MegaManExtreme2005

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I don't even have any Serial Port devices(DB9 port is it?correct me if I'm wrong.).I don't see any point at all in keeping these.I'd like to see that wasted space on a MB used for extra USB ports instead cus I have tons on USB devices but no serial devices.

Just get rid of them. 8)

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I have a AutoXray 6000 Auto diagnostic tool that uses a serial port so you can downlosd the data to your pc for record keeping. I had to buy a PCMCI serial card for my notebook to make it portable.

Also My old Palm III still works and uses it.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Its used more than you'd think, for control of managed network devices, for diagnostic systems, for remote reboot systems in web servers etc,

Alot of people never use them these days, but those that do cant live without them!

condemned_soul

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Seriously, who does? Not that I see anything wrong with it, but I'm trying to figure out why all the motherboard makers see fit to include one on every board. Even the highest end ones, brand spankin' new are including them. Even some LAPTOPS, where space is at a premium, are still including them. So obviously, there MUST be some market for them. Or perhaps there is a different reason... Anyone know why?

Just for clarification, I'm talking about the DB-9 port, not the USB or SATA ports that both include "serial" in their name.

More like, who in the world is left to ask such stupid questions.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Used for everything from Receipt printers in the stores to router consoles to tty'ng UNIX ports.

Physical access to a system implies access to a serial port AFAIK.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
My company has survey data collectors and UPS's that use them. There are plenty of people who still use them.

Computer manufacturers know they are still very much needed and you won't see them going away any time soon. You know, the computer industry is sort of in touch with what is needed and what isn't. :wink:

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I think we can all agree that in the professional environment there is a (great?) need for serial ports, even in this day and age. I have to use them myself from time to time. I was wondering more along the enthusiast side of things. Even some of the most expensive "overclocker's dream"-type of motherboards still include one. And the giant iBuyPower SLI laptop that was on THG last night even includes one.

Now, I can see the market for the serial ports in a more professional environment and even in the home environment for some people. But seriously, how many normal (you know what I mean) people actually use them? You would think that with all the cost optimizations that are done on the systems such like the ones they sell in stores for 99 bucks would have excluded them, but still they stay. I'm just wondering why. The target market for these systems are people who either don't have a computer, or someone who hasn't gotten a new computer for a very long time or someone who has no money to buy an actually good system. All three of these groups generally don't need ANY serial ports, mainly because most of them have no idea what they are (no kidding, I sold them for 3 years, anyone who knew anything about them was very few and very far between) and have nothing that would use them. Even the new UPS use USB!

My main question is why? Of course there's exceptions, but on the vast majority of boards, from the top to the bottom of the market they still install these things. Could it be that they're so cheap from being manufactured for the last 25 (is it?) years that it makes no difference if they are included? What do you guys think?

G

I use the serial port to write to my ATMEL microprocessor; can't be bothered to build a USB converter.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
The target market for these systems are people who either don't have a computer, or someone who hasn't gotten a new computer for a very long time or someone who has no money to buy an actually good system. All three of these groups generally don't need ANY serial ports, mainly because most of them have no idea what they are (no kidding, I sold them for 3 years, anyone who knew anything about them was very few and very far between) and have nothing that would use them.

In your example, someone who hasn't bought a computer for a very long time could possibly also have very old periferals. There are old digital cameras for example that use serial ports.

I think you are trying to justify why anyone else wouldn't need one based on your perceptions that they shouldn't need one. The cost of a serial port on a machine isn't going to add much money to the cost of the system (probably pennies) and therefore it's much easier to add them than to have 2 products for different markets.

There are still a lot of uses for a serial port. Some people have never used them and will never use them [the so called "normal" people in your example], but that doesn't mean it should be excluded from a computer, because there are still plenty of people who need them.

I sure wouldn't buy a board or machine that didn't have a serial port.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I'm not trying to make a statement here. I just was wondering. I may have worded it like there was no use for them, and for that I apoolgise. I didn't want to build a huge case against serial ports, but I for one, would like, say, a firewire or (as mentioned before) a couple extra usb ports. I admit that there are all sorts of uses for serial ports, but how many people, and I'm talking people who aren't computer people, actually use any of them? It is just perplexing to me that the manufacturers of these systems haven't taken them off of the large majority of their consumer and enthusiast level boards yet in favor of new technologies. I mean, even if they didn't put anything in its place, at least they would be saving money (pennies/board * 10,000,000) in the long run!

Perhaps if I posted in a forum where more people bought computers from retail stores like best buy and office depot I would get more of the information that I am looking for, but I hope you see my point that manufacturers have products included on their systems out there that are completely worthless for 90% of the people that buy said systems. I've just been wondering why. Could it be that the evil capitalisitc companies who care nothing for anyting but money :roll: are actually catering to a tiny minority for some reason? Or is it just that they fear the backlash of computer professionals who would give people a bad recommendation soley based on the fact that their systems are missing a component that they would never need?

Besides, its not like there aren't any converters out there...

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Lots of people don't use floppy disks either but I doubt you see floppy controllers removed from the boards any time soon. When is the last time you listened to AM radio in a car, but there are still AM radios built into all car radios.

It doesn't make sense to remove something that costs nothing to include and have 2 different versions of boards. It's much cheaper in the long run to just include it until the feature is no longer needed and then removing it completely.

As I said, I think the industry knows what devices need serial ports, and how large the installed base of these devices is. It doesn't make since from a business point of view to remove a device that has a lot of potential customers [sales] just because there is another large percentage of people who have never and will never use the feature.

drcroubie

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
well, i was going to bring up external modems, but someone beat me...

If anything's more useless for the amount of space it takes up, it's a parallel port. Every new printer these days has a USB port, and in most cases, it's cheaper to buy a whole new printer than to buy new ink cartridges for old ones (besides refilling). actually, who needs printers? haven't used one for 10 years at home, only printed essays for uni, but used the uni printers. i see not the point in printing stuff i can view on a screen just as well. or maybe that's just me, i like trees

and firewire can go too, but that's only because i don't have any firewire devices. (and doubt i ever will)

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I was going to use parallel as example, but there are a lot more people who use that than serial, and there are a lot of serial users anyway.

Old printers are often built better and will last longer too. I also have 3 large format printers sitting in eye shot of me right now (plotters), and 2 of those use parallel ports. The other would use it, but it also has a LAN port, so I use a print server for it.

Out of interest, as I write this reply, there are 18 people who use a serial port everyday, and 24 who use it sometimes. Only 5 people say they don't know what it's for. So out of roughly 50 respondants, only 10% don't use it. Sure, this forum is probably different and probably only those who actually use a serial port opened this thread, but still, I think that's very telling that it's not something that is just included for no reason and should be removed.