Just built my Conroe System - crazy temps!

Kronicide

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
Hi, I just finished building my conroe system and when I go into SETUP, the temps on the CPU were about 80c.

I then replaced my arctic silver on the core too a much smaller dose, and yes the CPU cooled down... to a steady 70-75.

Now I've tried even less, and now the temp is all the way up to 90c.

This is all just the readings in the BIOS hardware monitor, and I haven't installed windows on my new HDD yet.

My mobo is the ASUS P5B.

Any help is appreciated!

Mine is not that hot, but it does report as being significantly hotter in Bios than during windows. I assume that none of the power saving features have kicked in until winodws starts up.

As other posts mentioned, did you clean off properly. Is it seated properly. Describe how much AS did you use.

And remember that there are significant problems with measuring temps on these things, so you might be trying to fix a non-problem.

Dave262

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
I'd be surprised if it was even getting that hot at all! I have a conroe e6600 in a gigabyte 965-ds4, and when it hits 80deg it shuts down instantly.

Try running the system with the side panels off, and make sure all the heatsink mounts are clipped in fully. I can't run mine with the side panel on yet, but with it off under load the cpu hits about 43 deg max.

Kronicide

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
To answer all of your quetions, yes the CPU fan and case fans are spinning just fine, and I have the stock intel HSF. I used about a half of a grain of rice droplet for the AS.

Oh and just now, I turned on the PC and it started at 70c and now its working its way up to a steady 90c

From what I understand on-die sensors will limit its speed and therefore reduce its temp if it gets too hot. Can anyone confirm if this is a windows or a chip function, I think it is chip.

If this is not happening then you can't be too hot?

I know that this is worrying for you, but bear with us whilst we think about this, we may seem to ask stupid questions.

What is your airlfow like in your case, how many fans etc.?
What is Vcore according to you mobo?
What PSU are you using and what is in the rest of the system (just for completeness I can't think of anything specific at the moment)
What Bios version are you using?

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
From what I understand on-die sensors will limit its speed and therefore reduce its temp if it gets too hot. Can anyone confirm if this is a windows or a chip function, I think it is chip.

I think it is a function of the CPU on-die sensor in cooperation with the chipset/motherboard. Way back ago, Tom's did an article/videos where they pulled a Heatsink off a Intel and AMD chip with some 'spectacular' results.

Find those articles and you have your answer.

Kronicide

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
The airflow, from what I think, is great. I'm running the system in a Lian Li with 4 case fans.

Here is a list of the parts:

Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112040
PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159054
Mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131030
RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590
HDD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136012

VCORE is at 1.200 - 1.256v, may drop down to 1.192v, and the BIOS version is v02.58 American Megatrends.

HYDRO777

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
The new Conroe chips do not run hot. They should be running cold as ice cubes! :?: Ok I edited this post so I dont have to hear any more crap about some misinfo I posted on the temps. Read on through the whole thread and theres some good info in there from several posters.

Kronicide

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
The new Conroe chips do run hot. They should be running 50-60C idle and up to 80C Load. Stop pussy footing around and buy a Thermaltake Big Water System they sell for $159 at Fry's. And fit every socket CPU out there. Water is the way, especially if your into overclocking. Temps rise slow and drop fast. Beats rise fast and drop slow! You can also check your bios settings for your fan. Disable the automatic cpu fan speed control and the HSF will run at max speed all the time. Good luck. :wink:

Thanks, but the fact that the hardware monitor is showing that its running at almost 90c is still a problem.

I think it is a function of the CPU on-die sensor in cooperation with the chipset/motherboard. Way back ago, Tom's did an article/videos where they pulled a Heatsink off a Intel and AMD chip with some 'spectacular' results.

Find those articles and you have your answer.

Possibly... The answer I was trying to get to was would the thermal throttling take place without windows installed (or any OS). I can't imagine that it needs an OS for a safety feature.

My advice would be to install windows, the processor should protect itself. You can then see whether it is thermally throttling (by monitoring speed etc.) as that is the only temp detection that seems to work right now.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Your problem may be that you own an intel ;P

AMD Athlon FX-62 Thermal Design Power : 125W

Core 2 Extreme e6800 Thermal Design Power : 75W.

That puts the Athlon 66% higher than the Intel.

Now, I'm forced to assume that either:

1. You are another idiot fanboy that just makes blatantly incorrect sweeping statements with no facts.

2. You have been living under a rock for the last few months since Core 2's release, and decided to make a statement based on your info on the Smithfield/Prescott P4s @ 130w vs s939 Athlon X2 @ 89W, which, by the way, is proportionatly less of a difference than the one posted above.

Either way, the sarcastic and unhelpfull nature of your comment was unneeded.

The new Conroe chips do run hot. They should be running 50-60C idle and up to 80C Load. Stop pussy footing around and buy a Thermaltake Big Water System they sell for $159 at Fry's. And fit every socket CPU out there. Water is the way, especially if your into overclocking. Temps rise slow and drop fast. Beats rise fast and drop slow! You can also check your bios settings for your fan. Disable the automatic cpu fan speed control and the HSF will run at max speed all the time. Good luck. :wink:

Thanks, but the fact that the hardware monitor is showing that its running at almost 90c is still a problem.

For gods sake ignore Hydro (not generally just in this case).

They do not run hot. The thermal limit is 60C BUT the temp detection software and off chip hardware i.e. the MOBO bios detection is not good and is often reading wrong. I am getting 35 in speedfan, 45 on mobo and 50 on RM clock. The thermal limit is 60 as the chip sees it, the only problem is that the chip doesn't tell anything else what it is seeing.

There have been many many threads about people getting 'whacky' temp readings and none about people buring them out because of it yet, if it had happened you'd hear them screaming from the next continent.

Version 0509 2006/09/08 update

Description P5B Release BIOS version 0509
1. Support DDR2 double side x16 module
2. Enable support for CPU ratio adjustment on Kentsfield B0 stepping CPU
3. Enable conroe/kentsfield ratio overclocking higher above default value
4. Fix CPU Fan profile mode not correct after system shotdown
5. Revise temperature reading algorithm
6. Update MRC code
7. Enhance memory compatibility for DDR533 and DDR667 modules.
8. Revise S3 fuction not stable when CPU FSB over 300MHz.
9. Add dram frequency help string

File Size 575.65 (KBytes)

Latest bios from Asus, it appears to resolve temp reading issues. Try it and see.

Kronicide

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
Well now I've run into another problem...

I put in my xp pro disk to install windows on my raptor HDD. I put the cd rom as primary boot device,
then restart and turn up with a blinking insertion point in the top left hand corner of my screen.

Now, I make my older 160gb maxtor the master drive, and try to boot the windows that is already installed on that HDD.
This time, the BSoD shows up, then the PC restarts.

I've tried safe mode, different XP CD, but nothing so far. I can't think of what would be causing these problems.
Well, help is appreciated, and I hope to get this computer up and running by this afternoon :D

By the way, in the device boot list, it shows two cd-roms, one called ATAPI CD-ROM, and the other DVD/RW drive.

Check cables, master/slave settings, try a different CD-Rom, check that your mobo isn't treating your SATA as a raid, use a RAID boot disk if needed. All things that you have probably done.

Sorry no other ideas on that one.

Kronicide

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
Check cables, master/slave settings, try a different CD-Rom, check that your mobo isn't treating your SATA as a raid, use a RAID boot disk if needed. All things that you have probably done.

Sorry no other ideas on that one.

Ok, I haven't tried a different CD-rom yet, so that will be my next step.

redraider_gamer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006

No No NO!!!

Core 2 should run 39c-44c in idle and no more then 59c on full load. More likely around 51c-53c. If your running 60+ you need to reseat the HSF. Here is the Intel site that defines the thermal properties of the Core 2's:

ftp://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/31327801.pdf

See chapter 5. It clearly shows that you should never get above 60.1c

Bottom line: If your getting above 53c, reseat the HSF or get a better one. I like the Thermaltake Big Typhoon, but any of the high end HSF's should work. Check out the "sticky" in the Overclocking CPU forum here on TG. The writer put together a great list of HSF for use with the Core 2. Make sure you apply thermal paste correctly. There are many posts with this info in the CPU forum.

Interstingly, this has probably been one of the most popular questions in the forumz since the Core 2 came out. I'm betting on a bad sensor in this case!

My Rig:
Core 2 Duo X6800 Conroe (Stock Clock for Now)
Intel D975XBXLRK
Thermaltake Big Typhoon HSF
2 GB Corsair Pro PC6400 4-4-4-15
74GB 10k Raptor
ATI X1900XTX
SB Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD OEM Burners (x2)
Ultra X-Finity 600w SLi Certified PS
Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case

redraider_gamer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006

For gods sake ignore Hydro (not generally just in this case).

They do not run hot. The thermal limit is 60C BUT the temp detection software and off chip hardware i.e. the MOBO bios detection is not good and is often reading wrong. I am getting 35 in speedfan, 45 on mobo and 50 on RM clock. The thermal limit is 60 as the chip sees it, the only problem is that the chip doesn't tell anything else what it is seeing.

There have been many many threads about people getting 'whacky' temp readings and none about people buring them out because of it yet, if it had happened you'd hear them screaming from the next continent.

You da MAN!

Kronicide

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
Well, windows is all installed, and I've installed Motherboard Monitor 5 and it still says about 80-85c :(

Would my CPU even be running at these temps??

I was about to send you this link:
Similar problem

They seemed to having a similar Cd/IDE identification problem to you.

If it really were 80-85 it would be dead by now. Try using a different program, speedfan 4.29 etc.

Have you updated the Bios? I think that this may be a critical step.

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
You need to supply more info. That kind of boot thing is usually a RAM problem. Check to make sure the timings are set right, etc.

You will have a hard time killing a Core 2 Duo. My stock HSF sucked balls and I could hit the throttle (it is 85c) at stock speeds. If you ever get to Windows you can use Everest or RMClock to watch it throttle if those temps are real.

Now I run 35c/45c load at stock speed...