Canon Pixma color profiles

Can someone point me towards a good resource on creating accurate profiles
using a scanner and test pages? Or is it pretty much just print and adjust?
I get nice prints, but color and contrast never match what I see on screen.
I find that ICM seems to help.

IF YOU USE AFTERMARKET INK YOU DO NOT NEED PROFILES. YOU WILL NEED A
PRINTHEAD.