upgrade path to quadcore

gybp

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
will we be able to update our systems to quadcore with the current generation of motherboards in these 2 cases:

1) AMD AM2
2) INTEL C2D

im about to get a new computer and im worried about the components i need and that will last the longer... ive been using amd for a long time but im looking forward to build an intel machine (6600 conroe) but dont want to spend money in a new mobo next year to upgrade to quadcore...

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
The answer is yes to both. Boards supporting C2D will support Kentsfield. AM2 will support AMD's quad core solution.

NOTE: Intel has not officially announced, but most of the big board makers are touting 975X and 965 support for quad core in the ads, and Kentsfield has been shown running on 975x. AMD has officially stated quad core will slip in to AM2.

But... none of them is a 100% benefits upgrade; Kentsfield chipsets actually only support a 1067 bus while Kentsfield could run on 1333 and AM2 quad cores should have more than one HTT link but only one is supported by actual AM2 chipsets.
This is to be mentioned because will drop performance by some percentage compared to native quad core chipsets.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
The answer is yes to both. Boards supporting C2D will support Kentsfield. AM2 will support AMD's quad core solution.

NOTE: Intel has not officially announced, but most of the big board makers are touting 975X and 965 support for quad core in the ads, and Kentsfield has been shown running on 975x. AMD has officially stated quad core will slip in to AM2.

But... none of them is a 100% benefits upgrade; Kentsfield chipsets actually only support a 1067 bus while Kentsfield could run on 1333 and AM2 quad cores should have more than one HTT link but only one is supported by actual AM2 chipsets.
This is to be mentioned because will drop performance by some percentage compared to native quad core chipsets.

Most higher end 975 and 965 chipset based boards support 1333FSB.. :p
It's sort of like the nForce2 333 vs. 400 debacle. Hell mine runs at 1620MHz.. :p

gybp

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
im not going to overclock my machine.. does it matters for beeing at higher speeds with quadcores?