Sign in with
Your question

Front connectors on case

Last response: in Systems
September 9, 2006 2:17:23 PM

I just received my parts from newegg and started my 1st build. I am trying to connect the front USB connectors. I have DS3 mobo which has 3 front USB recepticles. My case has only 1 connector that has USB 1 and 2 listed on the plug, along w/ VCC. I am not sure which of the 3 on the mobo I should use. Also, there is a plug w/ VG, TP, TPB, Shield, etc.. I am not sure where that one goes either. Again sorry for my pc ignorance. I appreciate all the help I have received through this process. Thanks.

More about : front connectors case

September 9, 2006 2:34:30 PM

Thanks for the reply. Specs are as follows:
CPU-6400
Mobo-Gigabyte DS3
RAM-Corsair XMS2 2GB 6400
Video Card-MSI 1900XTX(sweet rebate on that one by the way)
Case-Lian Li 6077
PSU-BFG 650 Watts

So you are saying it makes no difference which of the 3 USB inlets on the mobo you use. The mobo states F_USB1, F_USB2, F_USB3. I only have one plug which says USB1, USB2, and VCC.

What would the other plug be? That one says, VP, TP, Shield. I have no idea. I can't seem to find in my manual a description for that plug.

Thanks for you help.
September 9, 2006 2:54:52 PM

Thank you very much. I believe it is the 1394 plug. I cant seem to find the instructions for the case. I have a ton of directions laying around since it was like Christmas morning when I got home from work last night. Thanks again.
Related resources
September 9, 2006 3:27:22 PM

Quote:
Thank you very much. I believe it is the 1394 plug. I cant seem to find the instructions for the case. I have a ton of directions laying around since it was like Christmas morning when I got home from work last night. Thanks again.

How about going to their website and seeing if they have a PDF-format manual? That is, assuming you have access to a working computer. Usually manuals have been updated since their printing and an online one should be the most up-to-date.

A word of caution- make absolutely sure you are not connecting a firewire port to a USB port and vice versa! You WILL FRY your system in about a microsecond (or even quicker! :p )
September 9, 2006 3:56:44 PM

Quote:

How about going to their website and seeing if they have a PDF-format manual? That is, assuming you have access to a working computer. Usually manuals have been updated since their printing and an online one should be the most up-to-date.

A word of caution- make absolutely sure you are not connecting a firewire port to a USB port and vice versa! You WILL FRY your system in about a microsecond (or even quicker! :p )

Correct me if i'm wrong but if he didn't have access to a working computer then how would he be on here asking for help and responding to post? :?
Just wondering that's all. :D 

1. His PC is working but he hasn't made the front connections.
2. He has access to either an older PC, one belonging to a friend, or from work.
3. Mental telepathy

I am inclined to believe number 3.
September 9, 2006 4:36:16 PM

Quote:
SWEET!!! :D 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

I wonder if he's going to tell us whether or not he figured it out. I was able to look at the PDF manual for his motherboard and also for the case.

According to what I found out, he probably has two USB ports in the front and one cable for them. I mean, it doesn't get simplier to hook up than that. (mine are individual pins and only USB 1.1 to boot)

Still have no clue as to the Shield and other thing he was talking about.
September 9, 2006 4:41:23 PM

I did figure it out. And I am so ignorant to this computer building process, I didnt even think to check out website for PDF file. I am hoping this build doesn't turn into a disaster. Like I said before, thank you for all your help. The extra plug is for firewire and the other is for the front audio.
September 9, 2006 4:42:04 PM

I'm guessing he has a front panel that connects with eight little induvidual wires.

In which case, wire them to any one of the connector blocks on the motherboard, following this picture:

September 9, 2006 4:49:25 PM

Quote:
I did figure it out. And I am so ignorant to this computer building process, I didnt even think to check out website for PDF file. I am hoping this build doesn't turn into a disaster. Like I said before, thank you for all your help. The extra plug is for firewire and the other is for the front audio.

That's good to know. We all started out ignorant, just some of us won't admit it (AM, J_B come to mind). Even when we've build a gazillion computers, we still make mistakes. For instance, yesterday, I swapped out power supplies, hooked up (I thought) all of the wires and cables, then locked up the case (mistake) without ensuring everything was working.

Turns out I forgot to connect the power cable for the DVD drive!
September 9, 2006 4:53:00 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing he has a front panel that connects with eight little induvidual wires.

In which case, wire them to any one of the connector blocks on the motherboard, following this picture:

I have the USB plugged into 1 of the front USB slots(into F_USB3). I am guessing that is OK from what you guys have said.

And your darn right this is intimidating. I've spent 2 months researching on here. And then spent $1100 on the parts and was hoping not fry anything. All I can say is this site is fantastic and there are a lot of very nice people in here. If it weren't for people like yourselves I would have probably spent double on pc equivalent to this.

I may be back sooner rather than later.
September 9, 2006 5:09:04 PM

Quote:
I have the USB plugged into 1 of the front USB slots(into F_USB3). I am guessing that is OK from what you guys have said.

And your darn right this is intimidating. I've spent 2 months researching on here. And then spent $1100 on the parts and was hoping not fry anything. All I can say is this site is fantastic and there are a lot of very nice people in here. If it weren't for people like yourselves I would have probably spent double on pc equivalent to this.

I may be back sooner rather than later.

Any of the Headers is fine, the extras are just there for you to be able to connect backplates with more usb ports etc if you want to, doesnt matter at all.

Its kinda scary the first time around but doesnt it feel 1000x better when its all working knowing that you did it all yourself? :D 
September 10, 2006 3:09:19 PM

Scratch that request.
!