To delete uninstalled quicklaunch icon in task bar

Quick launch icons of some application which I 've already uninstalled, is
still larking around when I look under the properties of my task bar... i.e.
when I rt click task bar> select properties> under Task bar window
'Customize'... here the unistalled applications icons are still present .
Even in the context menu of 'open with program' I can see them. How do I
remove them. I use Windows XP Pro.

Your help would be most valuable. Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about delete uninstalled quicklaunch icon task

    "kallu" <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Quick launch icons of some application which I 've already uninstalled, is
    > still larking around when I look under the properties of my task bar...
    i.e.
    > when I rt click task bar> select properties> under Task bar window
    > 'Customize'... here the unistalled applications icons are still present .
    > Even in the context menu of 'open with program' I can see them. How do I
    > remove them. I use Windows XP Pro.
    >
    > Your help would be most valuable. Thanks.

    For Quick Launch (not System Tray), right click a blank area on the toolbar
    (no raised items when cursor goes over), then select "open folder" in pop-up
    menu. Note that all items are shortcuts; delete the one to the now-removed
    program.

    Malv

    Hi Malv,

    Sorry for confusing between qick launch & System Tray. What I meant was
    System Tray not Quick launch, i.e. some uninstalled application's icons that
    was there.When I right click toolbar > properties > customize and under
    the list of past items. My problem was how to remove them from the list of
    Past item. I think the reply by Ramesh (MVP) has solved my problem.

    "Malvern" <thisis@fak> wrote in

    > "kallu" <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Quick launch icons of some application which I 've already
    >> uninstalled, is still larking around when I look under the properties
    >> of my task bar...
    > i.e.
    >> when I rt click task bar> select properties> under Task bar window
    >> 'Customize'... here the unistalled applications icons are still
    >> present . Even in the context menu of 'open with program' I can see
    >> them. How do I remove them. I use Windows XP Pro.
    >>
    >> Your help would be most valuable. Thanks.
    >
    > For Quick Launch (not System Tray), right click a blank area on the
    > toolbar (no raised items when cursor goes over), then select "open
    > folder" in pop-up menu. Note that all items are shortcuts; delete the
    > one to the now-removed program.
    >
    > Malv

    Actually, if you right-click on the quick launch button you want to remove,
    a context menu pops up and select delete.

    How to Clear Past Items from the Notification Area:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q283084

    Regarding the context-menu items, more information is required - such as the file-type etc.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    "kallu" <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B13F1678-D002-4ABB-BB6E-6A987DA53FA4@microsoft.com...
    Quick launch icons of some application which I 've already uninstalled, is
    still larking around when I look under the properties of my task bar... i.e.
    when I rt click task bar> select properties> under Task bar window
    'Customize'... here the unistalled applications icons are still present ..
    Even in the context menu of 'open with program' I can see them. How do I
    remove them. I use Windows XP Pro.

    Your help would be most valuable. Thanks.

    I 've been successful in removing the past item in the customize tray
    notification by following your link. Thank you!

    You're welcome!

    --

    > Hi Malv,
    >
    > Sorry for confusing between qick launch & System Tray. What I meant was
    > System Tray not Quick launch, i.e. some uninstalled application's icons
    that
    > was there.When I right click toolbar > properties > customize and under
    > the list of past items. My problem was how to remove them from the list of
    > Past item. I think the reply by Ramesh (MVP) has solved my problem.

    Go with Ramesh as he's an MVP, which I am not. I answer what I know or can
    find. The System Tray involves matters like yours which I don't touch lest
    I foul someone else up bad. Good luck with fixing the problem.

    Malv

Icons Windows XP