xy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
I am trying to setup my new WD SATA HD 250GB using Data Lifeguard but I keep on getting this errors:

* No CD-ROM drive found please check power or cable
* IDE CD-ROM device driver NOT installed

WD SATA HD 250GB is connected at SATA1(red). NEC ND-3550A is setup as master. tried slave and CS but didn't work. Tried different cable/dvd drive but same problem. I tried to boot on WinXP CD and was able to.

Everything is at default settings. I also tried resetting the CMOS but didn't work. Am I missing something?

Please Help :(

Thanks a lot.

MB ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP rev 1.03G
CORE 2 E6400
CORSAIR TWIN2X1024A-6400
VGA XFX 6800XT 128MB
DVD+/-RW NEC ND-3550A
1 WD SATA HD 250GB

check the cable for any rips.
take it out and try an IDE cable you know that works.

leave it at cable select. that's your best bet.

if it still doesn't work with a known working ide cable try another computer if you have one. see if it works on that computer.

If it does work than it might be the ide connector on the motherboard.
if it doesn't work than the drive is bad.

RMA the board or RMA the drive. You can try and call asus technical support heh =/

good luck!

I am trying to setup my new WD SATA HD 250GB using Data Lifeguard but I keep on getting this errors:

* No CD-ROM drive found please check power or cable
* IDE CD-ROM device driver NOT installed

WD SATA HD 250GB is connected at SATA1(red). NEC ND-3550A is setup as master. tried slave and CS but didn't work. Tried different cable/dvd drive but same problem. Tried to boot on WinXP CD and was able to see it.

Everything is at default settings. I also tried resetting the CMOS but didn't work. Am I missing something?

Please Help :(

Thanks a lot.

MB ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP rev 1.03G
CORE 2 E6400
CORSAIR TWIN2X1024A-6400
VGA XFX 6800XT 128MB
DVD+/-RW NEC ND-3550A
1 WD SATA HD 250GB

xy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
I tried a known working DVD drive and cable from my other computer but the same problem so i assume it could me my MB. :( But why is it that i was able to boot using WinXP?

eventhorizen

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Are you using the HDD IDE cable?

I had a similar problem with my CD drive when installing my SATA HDD.

Basiclly I was using the CD-ROM cable, in the PRI IDE slot, but the PRI IDE slot only accepts the blue HDD cable for some reason.

My CD-Rom drive did not work untill I attached it with the blue HDD cable.

After that everything was fine.

This was on the P5W though.

skinnyjoint

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004
i think you probably had a bad ribbon cable im pretty sure it makes no difference what color it is, i mean i know one is for a pimary but im thinking in the grand scheme it doesnt matter.

xy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
what happens if you don't use data lifeguard.

Actually I was able to install WinXP....:) But still I couldn't boot using data lifeguard :? I got the errors I mentioned.

Are you using the HDD IDE cable?

I had a similar problem with my CD drive when installing my SATA HDD.

Basiclly I was using the CD-ROM cable, in the PRI IDE slot, but the PRI IDE slot only accepts the blue HDD cable for some reason.

My CD-Rom drive did not work untill I attached it with the blue HDD cable.
i think you probably had a bad ribbon cable im pretty sure it makes no difference....

I already tried 2 different cable with the same problem including the one that goes with the MB.

xy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
I noticed this everytime I boot-up my computer:

JMicron Technology Corp...
Copyright....

ODD0: _NEC DVDRW ND-3550A

Press any key to continue...

Even I already changed the boot-up sequence from IDE (_NEC DVD_RW) to HDD (PM-WDC). It looks like something is wrong. :(

press any key to continue is normal. It's suppose to be set to IDE in the bios.

i'm suggesting to not use data lifeguard

I noticed this everytime I boot-up my computer:

JMicron Technology Corp...
Copyright....

ODD0: _NEC DVDRW ND-3550A

Press any key to continue...

Even I already changed the boot-up sequence from IDE (_NEC DVD_RW) to HDD (PM-WDC). It looks like something is wrong. :(

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Probably just that Data Lifeguard boot CD has no support for the JMicron chip. I bet if you put your hard drive on the Intel SATAs it would work...You need Windows IDE drivers to see the drives.

Linux also doesn't support JMicron yet. I found that out the hard way after a few wasted hours trying to get it to read my Ubuntu CD...

xy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
I called-up asus and they told me that my board might have a faulty IDE controller so time for RMA. I'll let you guys know if everything will be ok with the new MB. :(

Thanks for the time helping me sort out things. :)

hans123

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Same problem here.

Asus P5B

SATA 1: 160GB
SATA 2: 320GB

PATA 1: Nec DVD/RW

in Bios: SATA-controllere: IDE mode selected

Are there solutions yet ?

xy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
I already got the new board and same thing happened. It seems booting from data lifeguard cd has really some problem so what I did is I setup the hard drive from another computer then install it on this board and setup XP on it without any problem.

Regarding the "Press any key to continue... " Well, I actually asked owners of this MB and they all have it. :) So, There's nothing to worry about this "feature".

In other words, there's nothing wrong with my previous MB. :oops: It really pissed me off because I even called-up Asus tech support and explained my grievances to them but didn't help me much and ended-up RMAing a working board. :evil:

Anyway, everything is working now. The board is really rock stable. :D