Reburn HHD ready for Win XP OS reinstall

How does one go about a "clean reinstall", rather than the one hour layering
reinstall process of standard OS reinstallations.

I know that it will be about six hours duration, but I need to sort our
various problems with rogue dial-up d/loads & various nasty virus
infections, that do not seem to be contained properly with my Norton 2004
s/ware.

John Locke.
2 answers Last reply
More about reburn ready reinstall

    Hi John,

    Essentially, it's the same as a reinstall, except at the point where you
    choose the installation location simply choose instead to delete the
    existing system partition. Then create a new one from the free space,
    format, and proceed with the installation.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "john-locke" <john-locke@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > How does one go about a "clean reinstall", rather than the one hour
    > layering
    > reinstall process of standard OS reinstallations.
    >
    > I know that it will be about six hours duration, but I need to sort our
    > various problems with rogue dial-up d/loads & various nasty virus
    > infections, that do not seem to be contained properly with my Norton 2004
    > s/ware.
    >
    > John Locke.

    Please understand that an anti-virus program is exactly that.. it will NOT
    remove adware/spyware, and is not designed so to do..

    I would suggest that you try removal of the offending code before
    re-installation of everything.. re-installing is all very well, but the
    problems that you have now will return.. it is best that you learn now how
    to deal with them..

    If you think that Norton is not doing its job, try this.. it is a one shot
    virus removal program..

    REMOVING a VIRUS.. http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Next, you deal with adware/spyware.. there are two programs that remove the
    majority of problems..

    SPYBOT 1.3 will remove and immunize against re-infection.. download it from
    here..

    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html and run it..

    AdawareSE 1.05 picks up on some things that Spybot doesn't.. download it
    from here..

    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ and run it..

    OmegaKiller will remove search engines that take over from your regular home
    page.. download it from here..

    http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=252 and run it..

    If you haven't already, install SP2.. Jupiter Jones has excellent advice for
    perusal before installation..

    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm ..

    Ypu can order the SP2 CD from here for free..

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

    OR you can obtain it from major computer stores OR from magazine cover CDs..

    Try these remedies first.. also, ensure that your anti-virus and firewall
    programs are updated

    giving advice and for others looking to solve similar problems..

    Good luck

    Mike Hall

    "john-locke" <john-locke@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > How does one go about a "clean reinstall", rather than the one hour
    > layering
    > reinstall process of standard OS reinstallations.
    >
    > I know that it will be about six hours duration, but I need to sort our
    > various problems with rogue dial-up d/loads & various nasty virus
    > infections, that do not seem to be contained properly with my Norton 2004
    > s/ware.
    >
    > John Locke.

Dial Up Connection Windows XP