Plenty of Questions about GA-965P-DS3

dgoggins

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
I just got my GA-965P-DS3 and installed a 6400 w/stock cooler, Corsair XMS2 DDR2 667 2x512 Ram, 250 Gig SATA2 harddrive, and a PCI video card until my x1900xtx gets here on monday. Anyway, several questions ->

1. I am using the stock Intel Cooler. Its rpms are 1000...is that normal? Second, which Fan Control options did you all use in Bios?
FAN Speed Control Method -> Auto, Intel QST, Legacy
FAN Speed Control Mode -> Auto, Voltage, PWM
Another weird thing about the Fan is that when i start up Gigabytes I-cool program it stops my cpu fan and doesnt come back on till I close I-cool!

2. OnBoard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode...what do I need to do to enable the AHCI mode for my WD2500KS (250 gig SATA2) drive? What should my IDE type options be in Bios?

Anyway any help would be appreciated!

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
I am currently using the DQ6 but I think the motherboards are similar enough for me to help. With the default settings the cooler will adjust fan speeds depending on the CPU's temps. As long as your CPU is still staying cool then everything should be fine. Actually on a cold boot my fan doesn't even begin to spin for several minutes. If you want the fan to spin at max speeds then you can disable the fan controls in the BIOS. As far as your other questions, I don't use the I-cool program and I have my HDDs setup in RAID so I am unable to help with your question. I recommend checking your manual for questions regarding setting up your SATA/IDE drives. Anyways I hope this info helps and just keep us posted.

Also I am building a setup similar to yours for my uncle. I am ordering the same motherboard and RAM as you are and I just have a few questions. Are you using the Cas 4 or Cas 5 latency RAM? Also I know the 965 chipsets are picky about RAM, did/are you having any stability issues? What BIOS version are you using and which one did your ship with?

dgoggins

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
I'm using the CAS 4 latency RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145539, though when I bought it it was $116 with a 15 dollar rebate), though at 667 it defaults to 5-5-5-something, so I just changed it to 4-4-4-12 in the BIOS. I'm not having any stability problems either, and I double-checked that by running Mem-86.
The board came shipped with F3, and everything worked fine, though I went ahead and flashed to F5 just for the heck of it, but havent had any problems.

TRENDING THREADS