Sign in with
Your question

840EE Minimum for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Playback??

Last response: in CPUs
September 9, 2006 5:02:30 PM

even a x2 3800 is not the list minimal requirement :( 
Related resources
September 9, 2006 5:05:40 PM

Quote:
even a x2 3800 is not the list minimal requirement :( 

These are the kind of things that make me overclock.
September 9, 2006 5:10:15 PM

This is ludicrous. The industry is milking us for all we are worth! I'd rather wait a few more years for this technology to become more viable. These days, products are just being rushed out as soon as they are close to ready, quality and value be damned.
September 9, 2006 5:30:28 PM

There's no way it's that high; I've been playing 1080p HD files for months now and they've run fine when I set the processor affinity to only one of my cores.
September 9, 2006 5:36:53 PM

Quote:
There's no way it's that high; I've been playing 1080p HD files for months now and they've run fine when I set the processor affinity to only one of my cores.

it cannot be that high. i can run HD recordings on my 3700+ easy. lies and miss truths.
September 9, 2006 5:40:37 PM

If that's the case, it makes sin even bigger, because the average consumer won't know how to do that, all they'll know is what the program says; that they need to spend hundreds, if not thousands, if they want a computer that can play next-gen optical disks. Could the reqs be DRM-related? I dunno much about this kinda thing..
September 9, 2006 6:04:11 PM

Playing an HD file is different than playing an actual HD DVD or a Blu Ray disc. My Pentium M and GeForce Go 6800 can play 1080p HD files, but I doubt it could play an HD DVD or Blu Ray disc stutter if I had the player.
September 9, 2006 6:08:48 PM

My dad has a Core Duo laptop at 1.86Ghz with 2Gb RAM DDR2 at 667Mhz with a NVIDIA GeForce 7400 Go and 2 Hard Drives of 100Gb at 5400RPM in RAID.

He can run DVD's normally. But When I downloaded MadMod Mike Demo from the NVIDIA site (For 7800GTX), It runned but kinda slow. I doubt it can run HD content.
September 9, 2006 7:16:32 PM

Your graphics card needs to support HDMI and HDCP, so even if you have a 7600GT or X1600, High-Def might not be supported on your card.

Your monitor has to support HDCP also, otherwise it will scale down to 580p - which is the resolution of a normal DVD. Very few, if any yet, computer monitors support HDCP, and only the newer (within the past year or so) TVs support HDCP.

Add to this - some of the drives are currently around $500-$1K, plus movies are about $5-$10 more.

Next time you're out & about at an electronic appliance store (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc), take a look at the HD-DVD and BluRay demos. The picture quality is better, but not really markedly so. It's nowhere near the quality difference between DVD/VHS. IMHO, high definition DVD (either platform) just isn't worth it.
September 10, 2006 9:15:21 AM

Quote:
Next time you're out & about at an electronic appliance store (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc), take a look at the HD-DVD and BluRay demos. The picture quality is better, but not really markedly so. It's nowhere near the quality difference between DVD/VHS. IMHO, high definition DVD (either platform) just isn't worth it.

Good summary there, i personally agree with it. My Arcam DV89 DVD player cost me £1100 a year ago, and i doubt that HD DVD is much better quality than my DVD player. Spending another £1000 or so for a 5% increase in picture quality is definetly not worth it in my opinion.
September 10, 2006 7:05:24 PM

Quote:
Good summary there, i personally agree with it. My Arcam DV89 DVD player cost me £1100 a year ago, and i doubt that HD DVD is much better quality than my DVD player. Spending another £1000 or so for a 5% increase in picture quality is definetly not worth it in my opinion.

The picture quality is actually vastly improved, but there are not many displays being sold that can actually show it. Any entry into a new technology is bound to be expensive - best just to wait for this one for 12 - 18 months and then have another look. By then, some of our favourite titles should actually be available to buy as well...
September 11, 2006 12:52:06 AM

Quote:
My dad has a Core Duo laptop at 1.86Ghz with 2Gb RAM DDR2 at 667Mhz with a NVIDIA GeForce 7400 Go and 2 Hard Drives of 100Gb at 5400RPM in RAID.

He can run DVD's normally. But When I downloaded MadMod Mike Demo from the NVIDIA site (For 7800GTX), It runned but kinda slow. I doubt it can run HD content.
There is a huge difference between accelerating HD video and running an Nvidia tech demo.
September 11, 2006 1:43:10 PM

I guess you're right.. I think I'm just mad because I just got my X1800 a short while back... and it only has DVI :?
September 11, 2006 3:24:51 PM

Quote:
I guess you're right.. I think I'm just mad because I just got my X1800 a short while back... and it only has DVI :?

Ouch.
!