Sign in with
Your question

screw conroe, its all about the quad

Last response: in CPUs
September 9, 2006 4:37:32 PM

"Since the CPU combines two Conroe dual-core chips, the chip will carry 2 x 4 MB L2 cache; Kentsfield will be a Conroe "drop-in" chip and work with the 965 and 975 series chipsets on today's Core 2 Duo motherboards."

"Kentsfield easily shattered previous benchmarks records and highlighted its horsepower especially in threaded applications such as audio and video processing. The chip was able to set new record levels in traditional benchmarks such as 3DMark 05 and 3DMark 06 as well."

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/09/preview_kentsfield_processor/

=D

More about : screw conroe quad

September 9, 2006 4:54:46 PM

For me quad core means nothing. Taking into account that most games don't even take advantage of dual core yet. Maybe for APPS quad will be great, but I'm not too excited. (possibly because I just dropped a grand on a 6800, that will soon be out performed by the 6900)

Oh, and btw... Quad core is still called Core... or Conroe as you put it, so why screw conroe if the new quads are the same series?
September 9, 2006 5:04:38 PM

I'm actually waiting for Kentsfield or better.
Related resources
September 9, 2006 5:08:00 PM

I'm waiting for someone to call Nate a edit/delete
September 9, 2006 5:09:05 PM

Why am I a deleted?

If it has anything to do with me buying a 6800... shut up. We are on a forum for enthusiasts. I am an enthusiast. I'm willing to buy new parts that are on top, and I'm well aware a new part comes out months later. It's the way computers have always been. If you don't understand this, than you are the dumbass.
September 9, 2006 5:19:40 PM

Jesus. This kind of crap is why people hate this forum. Grow up people.
September 9, 2006 5:27:50 PM

sigh.. an enthusiast that doesnt know his code names, how sad.
September 9, 2006 5:29:45 PM

blah blah... im not a techy enthusiast. I'm a gaming enthusiast. Stop trying to argue with me. Did you notice I bought my computer... I didn't build it.
September 9, 2006 5:31:40 PM

kk, alls good. maybe the word deleted was a bit too harsh.
September 9, 2006 5:39:58 PM

What I found interesting was that the article referred to it as a Core 2 Quadro chip. This is a logical name for it I guess, although I'd suspected they would have waited until quad core became mainstream before doing so. I wonder what Nvidia will have to say about this though? Surely the use of Quadro infringes upon their trademark for their workstation graphics cards?
September 9, 2006 9:29:28 PM

Sure; it will always be for more cores. Now that you touch my immagination; in late 2007 4X4 motherboards will be cheaper and AM2 quad cores already out (at least by schedule) and if the prices are good ,8-core platforms will be around $2000.
September 9, 2006 10:00:51 PM

Performance wise with the intro of Kentsfield/2P dual core systems, main stream enthusiasts like us might start seeing 3D reality programs and/or more life-like, realistic, games coming out pretty soon. I remember back in 1994/1995 when the first eye goggles came out for those who wanted to experiment with that. I guess back then we had 486 or the first generation of the Pentium series?
September 9, 2006 11:37:55 PM

Quote:
I have a strange tingling feeling this forum is being filled with banned/abandoned Anandtech scum bags.

Is Anandtech really that bad? I'm a member of both boards (and another one)
September 9, 2006 11:57:54 PM

I'm waiting until mid 2007 to build a new PC.

*quad-core processor (AMD or Intel... which ever is better at the time)
*R600 DX10 video card
*2 gigs of ddr2 or ddr3 if available
*I already have a raptor hard drive so I might just keep that until solid state drives become the norm.(mid 2008)
*windows vista
*Crysis!! :p 
September 10, 2006 12:41:04 AM

Quote:
I have a strange tingling feeling this forum is being filled with banned/abandoned Anandtech scum bags.

Human beings are prone to err and come to wrong conclusions all the time...your argument lacks logic because you're basing your argument on just mere speculation, in just "a feeling" about me being banned/abandoned from another tech forum. Our words and thoughts are a reflection of ourselves, so you know.
September 10, 2006 12:59:09 AM

Quote:

Human beings are prone to err and come to wrong conclusions all the time...your argument lacks logic because you're basing your argument on just mere speculation, in just "a feeling" about me being banned/abandoned from another tech forum. Our words and thoughts are a reflection of ourselves, so you know.

lol that was pretty indepth response to his comment...
September 10, 2006 1:07:30 AM

Quote:
blah blah... im not a techy enthusiast. I'm a gaming enthusiast. Stop trying to argue with me. Did you notice I bought my computer... I didn't build it.

Well if you are not techy then do us a favor and don't call yourself an enthusiast because you are just a rich snob.
September 10, 2006 1:11:58 AM

Excuse me? Grow up. I love computers, sorry I hate building my own... a little bit of a elitist don't ya think?
September 10, 2006 1:13:26 AM

Quote:

lol that was pretty indepth response to his comment...

lol...I'm sorry but I try not to be an attention hog, but one can't go around name calling on someone just because you have "a feeling" about that subject. One must be objective and I couldn't stay shut on such pointless and inmature comment. It reflects the mindset of other members of THG that are either banned or their reputation preceeds them...9inch, MMM, etc. anyone?
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2006 1:16:42 AM

Woah guys... woah woah...

Chillax.. seriously.

Keep the arguments to the trolls... not amongst yourselves.
September 10, 2006 1:20:36 AM

Quote:
Excuse me? Grow up. I love computers, sorry I hate building my own... a little bit of a elitist don't ya think?

lol...you should not hate it, consider it a learning process! After many systems burnt and down, I've learned such a great deal about computing.

8)
September 10, 2006 1:22:02 AM

I'm not here to argue. I'm here because I love computers, work on a computer and spend almost all my time on a computer. I take offence when people say I'm not an enthusiast simply because my last computer is a custom built by Falcon. I'm sick of having to defend my purchase.
September 10, 2006 1:26:12 AM

lol...so you are rich for real? It's fine man! Just consider his comment as a complement because you can afford it. He was not critical about you, just a lil bit jealous...lol!

:p 
September 10, 2006 1:32:02 AM

I wouldn't consider myself rich at all. I work hard all day and pay my bills, I spent a ridiculous amount on my computer because it's good for escaping the bs of everyday life.

But on topic.

4 cores will undoubtably be better than 2. But right now, I'm content with my core 2. :p 
September 10, 2006 1:37:23 AM

for me
quad only mean 1 things

video editing.............

it will do nothing for utilities and office, insignificant gain in games.

But video editing performance maybe affordable and decent from then on.

I am so happy.
September 10, 2006 1:41:58 AM

I'm a CAD user before any gaming... although the latter holds quite a bit of my time. Programs like 3dsmax and it's companion Autocad hold most of my time.
September 10, 2006 1:51:16 AM

Quote:
I'm a CAD user before any gaming... although the latter holds quite a bit of my time. Programs like 3dsmax and it's companion Autocad hold most of my time.

I agree with ma2ha, in that the only benefit will be in cpu-intensive programs like you mention above. I'm working with GIS-CAD software and we are upgrading and replacing our 2P Xeon servers for 2P Woodies. So, it makes sense to upgrade to alternative systems like Kent/Woodie if you -in fact- use cpu-demanding programs.
September 10, 2006 1:54:26 AM

Quote:
What does observing and keeping the quality of THGC/TGForumz above others for nearly 6yrs suggest you huh?
And I didn't point my finger at who, but I know who they are and I'll hunt their dirty little cunty arse down.

lol...no problem man, I understand it's you job!

Respect to you.
September 10, 2006 1:59:13 AM

Quote:
I'd ignore these people; I myself prefer building my own, but if you're not into that sort of thing that's your business, not mine.
September 10, 2006 2:02:54 AM

Thank you.

I've built my rigs before... but back in the days of the original Unreal, I had a Falcon and it held a special place in my gaming heart. Now after several years of having DIY computers... (not that I truly hate DIY, I'll probably DIY nextime) I felt it was time to buy a new custom and relive some nostalgia.
September 10, 2006 2:41:21 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't consider myself rich at all. I work hard all day and pay my bills, I spent a ridiculous amount on my computer because it's good for escaping the bs of everyday life.

Sorry for being a bit harsh but you sounded like a rich kid wasting money on some pretty expensive gaming out of pure boredom.

Anyway, if you use computer just for gaming as you said above, then all that hard earned money is put to waste if you don't learn anything else but how to shoot monsters in the process.

By the way enthusiasm implies a devotion which is partisan and is blind to difficulties and objections so it is not the same if you put some effort to build your computer from parts and to pay for a prebuilt (however custom) one.

If you need better example:

Enthusiast is:
Radio-amater guy who builds his own radio-station and antenna and succeds in making it better or on par with commercialy available equipment for much less money and who is willing to teach others how to do it.

Enthusiast is not:
The guy who enters the store and simply flashes his credit card and purchases the best available equipment and antenna and then brags about his possesions to everyone willing to listen.

Bottom line -- today it is too easy to become "enthusiast" if you have the money.
September 10, 2006 2:46:04 AM

From Dictionary.com

Quote:
en‧thu‧si‧ast  /ɛnˈθuziˌæst, -ɪst/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[en-thoo-zee-ast, -ist] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a person who is filled with enthusiasm for some principle, pursuit, etc.; a person of ardent zeal: a sports enthusiast.
2. a religious visionary or fanatic.

I love computers. I was sick of making sub par systems... so I went with an enthusiast company, Falcon Northwest. Do research on them... they are heralded as being the extreme enthusiasts custom built pcs. I use this example alot but...

"Some people enjoy buying a sports coupe and modding it until performance can come close to the most exotic cars on the market. Others prefer to just go out and buy a factory built Ferrari" - taken from Anandtech's review on the Falcon NW Fragbox.
September 10, 2006 3:59:29 AM

Quote:
You are not a true enthusiast, period.
Becoming an enthusiast is earned not purchased.

QFT.
You have a rare gift of formulating important things in one sentence :D 
September 10, 2006 4:04:23 AM

Okay, lets reformulate that stupid quote from anandtech:

"Some men enjoy going out, meeting the girls and working on a relationship until they get sex. Others prefer to pay for a hooker."
September 10, 2006 4:07:12 AM

nate ur no enthu..., but ppl calling u a rich snob cuz u hav the money to buy watever the hell u want is BS

so he donst wana build his own comp, why are we holding something against him
September 10, 2006 4:29:11 AM

And building my systems prior holds no truth to my enthusiasm at all. Sorry, I'm not as cool as you and don't build every system I get. Why is THG contesting off a Falcon Northwest... is THG not an enthusiast website?
September 10, 2006 4:41:44 AM

Well, I do consider myself an enthusiast. I have been on computers since the 486. I'm not as inept as people who know everything about every processor and every gpu... but I keep up on the times. I love computers I spend most of my time on a computer... enough to jepordize my relationship with my fiancee. I am an enthusiast no matter what you elitests think. Sorry I don't hardcore overclock my computer... sorry I don't post about every problem and sorry I don't know every single little detail about a product. Does that mean I'm unknowlegdable? Maybe... does that mean I'm not enthusiastic about all new computers and that I don't understand computers at all? NO.
September 10, 2006 4:44:37 AM

Quote:
nate ur no enthu..., but ppl calling u a rich snob cuz u hav the money to buy watever the hell u want is BS

I do not have anything against him in particular, it is just that it bothers me when people use inadequate words to describe themselves.

If you have enough money you can call yourself King or the Emperor if you like but that doesn't make you more King-ish or Emperor-ish in any way because Royal blood was still the requirement last time I checked.

Quote:
And building my systems prior holds no truth to my enthusiasm at all. Sorry, I'm not as cool as you and don't build every system I get. Why is THG contesting off a Falcon Northwest... is THG not an enthusiast website?

Come on, don't be too hard on yourself. I will elaborate further on a hooker subject because it seems you haven't got my point. So here we go again:

"Some men enjoy going out, meeting the girls and working on a relationship until they get sex. Others prefer to pay for a hooker."

So, if I meet a girl and I like her and she likes me I can keep her and she will be mine and unique to me. On the other hand, me too can pay for the same hooker you paid for. Do you get it now?

Again, enthusiasm loses its charm once everyone can afford it.
September 10, 2006 4:53:54 AM

Quote:

I do not have anything against him in particular, it is just that it bothers me when people use inadequate words to describe themselves.

If you have enough money you can call yourself King or the Emperor if you like but that doesn't make you more King-ish or Emperor-ish in any way because Royal blood was still the requirement last time I checked.

Quote:

Come on, don't be too hard on yourself. I will elaborate further on a hooker subject because it seems you haven't got my point. So here we go again:

So, if I meet a girl and I like her and she likes me I can keep her and she will be mine and unique to me. On the other hand, me too can pay for the same hooker you paid for. Do you get it now?

Again, enthusiasm loses its charm once everyone can afford it.How do you know Nate didn't have her before you? :wink: :) 
September 10, 2006 7:05:58 AM

Quote:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

I wonder if Anandtechs boards are being filled with scum banned from THG?
September 10, 2006 4:06:03 PM

Quote:
How do you know Nate didn't have her before you? :wink: :) 

I will answer you with a simple question:

Which one would you like more -- to be the first man your wife ever had or the last one? :wink:
September 10, 2006 4:39:43 PM

Ya know, I haven't been here really all that long, and maybe I am naive about how the forumz were when I started here, but these days it seems like every thread I read is being hijacked by petty bickering.

It really is disappointing...
September 10, 2006 5:12:09 PM

Quote:
How do you know Nate didn't have her before you? :wink: :) 

I will answer you with a simple question:

Which one would you like more -- to be the first man your wife ever had or the last one? :wink:Worse yet....Marry the girl of your dreams, and find out she's a hooker. :o  That wouldn't be nice....though you'd have to be a moron not to know. :p 
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2006 5:15:32 PM

Quote:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

I wonder if Anandtechs boards are being filled with scum banned from THG?

Naw.. they're all on Rubyworks.

Banned HardOCP, THG, Anandtech etc morons are all on there.. :p  I joined there since they kept coming on here and spamming.. so far I think I've angered the lot of them ... :wink:
September 10, 2006 6:14:23 PM

The real reason for quad core, in my eyes, is virtualization. Have two cores for Linux, two for Windows... if you have something you really need done fast (video encode, 3D render, whatever), throw all four at it... sounds practical to me. Intel, AMD, whomever... you release a well-scaling native quad-core with good virtualization, and you'll have my full attention.
September 10, 2006 6:47:50 PM

Quote:

Was this a step up or a step down for them?
September 10, 2006 7:02:06 PM

Quote:
I love computers. I was sick of making sub par systems...

I've defended you previously for buying the Falcon and will continue to do so. The above comment gives me pause. If you are implying that Falcon builds PCs that function better than those put together by many people on this forum, I believe you are mistaken. I'm no guru, but have been able to build PCs that have excellent synthetic and real world performance without trying all that hard. Look around at the benchmarks reported here and on other forums (ex: XS) and you'll see numbers your Falcon won't touch. So if you have previously built sub-par PCs, was it due to making poor parts-purchasing decisions or was it due to setup/tweakage issues?

I'm in no rush to buy a Falcon or other specialty box, but folks I know that do often cite the warranty/service issues as the reason not to build their own. I can understand that but am not too stressed out worrying that I won't be able to deal with any issues that arise. That's part of why I spend time here in the first place - for real world troubleshooting info as well as tweaks and purchase beta. Otherwise, why put up with the Barfon?
September 10, 2006 7:34:28 PM

Mostly my systems have been rushed and not researched alot. My falcon will provide me with a competent system with great service as you have said... and it's like a dream come true. I've wanted to get a falcon computer since putting my first one to death after a nice run with it. I know that people can make DIYs that are on par and sometimes faster than that of a boutique pc. But I'm not ready to put time into playing with hardware... I spend my time in Apps to spend any more time learning every little tidbit that goes into building a killer computer. I've never bothered with overclocking (which falcon will do for me).

I'm not here to piss off people that DIY and I hate how everyone here takes DIY so serious as to put down someone who would rather not build it themselves. I'm almost ready to stop posting here because of the attitude of most of the posters who have ridiculed and put me down for buying a falcon.

There is no conspiracy against DIY here... I have no problem with DIY. Now people stop taking my love for my rig as an insult to your rigs and your ability to build it your freaking selves.

I'm here to learn too, but instead all I'm getting is attacks from people who think I'm an idiot because I purchased my computer.
September 10, 2006 8:48:13 PM

Quote:
Mostly my systems have been rushed and not researched alot. My falcon will provide me with a competent system with great service as you have said... and it's like a dream come true. I've wanted to get a falcon computer since putting my first one to death after a nice run with it. I know that people can make DIYs that are on par and sometimes faster than that of a boutique pc. But I'm not ready to put time into playing with hardware... I spend my time in Apps to spend any more time learning every little tidbit that goes into building a killer computer. I've never bothered with overclocking (which falcon will do for me).

I'm not here to piss off people that DIY and I hate how everyone here takes DIY so serious as to put down someone who would rather not build it themselves. I'm almost ready to stop posting here because of the attitude of most of the posters who have ridiculed and put me down for buying a falcon.

There is no conspiracy against DIY here... I have no problem with DIY. Now people stop taking my love for my rig as an insult to your rigs and your ability to build it your freaking selves.

I'm here to learn too, but instead all I'm getting is attacks from people who think I'm an idiot because I purchased my computer.

Dude you seriously dont need to justify yourself here. I think most people here are jealous cause you get to buy whatever you want to. I dont know why people here are being acting as jack arse, they are almost behaving as if there is a regulatory authority handing out 'enthusiast badge' . What is worse is that experienced members here are taking time of to insult you in this thread which is completely irrelevant to the topic...

You can call yourself whatever you like to, its no ones business. As long as you dont go overboard with it. I am pretty sure some one is gonna flame me soon for these remarks.
September 10, 2006 10:40:49 PM

Quote:

In dictionary a word means something but in real life could mean something else, enthusiast when you're talking of computers means someone who buy the parts and build a computer with them. It has nothing to do with having enthusiasm in your computer or being cool. It's ok if you buy your computer builded, but that's not from ethusiasts, sorry.
!