Flashing the BIOS from within Windows...

MuncherOfSpleens

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
I'm using a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 motherboard and have updated it to BIOS revision F4. F5 recently came out, and I think I'd like to update again. Is it safe to flash the BIOS with a Windows program (in my case, Gigabyte's @BIOS)? I would just use a floppy, but I don't have any with me here in my dorm.

Also, I only have a USB keyboard (here). Will flashing the BIOS set everything back to its default setting, therefore disabling my USB keyboard? And if it does, will my USB keyboard still work OK in Windows, until I gain access to a PS/2 keyboard to reenable it?

weilin

Distinguished
perfectly safe, i had the f1 and i flashed my way all the way to F4. i didnt know there was a F5 till just now. gonna be flasing in 2 min. its perfectly safe as long as you dont loose power to your pc during hte flash.. then it would be very bad.

NEVER flash the Bios from within Windows. If it screws up, you're left with a dead board. I've seen countless numbers of people attempt a flash from Windows (many have a lot of success with doing this) and had it screw up on them for one reason or another..... a BSOD, power failure, flash program started hanging.... etc. It's just not worth the risk IMO. If there is a feature supported by the new BIOS that you absolutely need, then flash from floppy or a USB thumb drive, if you don't NEED the new features it enables or aren't having any other problems, then don't flash it.

Flashing a BIOS is one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" things.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
On all my Abit boards, I've always flashed the BIOS from within windows using the uGuru utility and, through preferences, set it to where it kept my CMOS settings. I am unaware if ASUS has a windows bios utility or not but, if so, perhaps it has a setting to where you can keep your own CMOS settings.

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
With Asus boards it's best to burn the file to a CD or if you have a 3.5 floppy on your comp, put it on there. When the Computer is in POST mode hit Alt-F2 and it put's the computer in EZFlash and it will read the flash rom off the disk and away you go. Just reflashed my P5LD2 last weekend that way, but since i don't have a floppy, had to use a CD.

R Collins

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
NEVER flash the Bios from within Windows. If it screws up, you're left with a dead board. I've seen countless numbers of people attempt a flash from Windows (many have a lot of success with doing this) and had it screw up on them for one reason or another..... a BSOD, power failure, flash program started hanging.... etc. It's just not worth the risk IMO. If there is a feature supported by the new BIOS that you absolutely need, then flash from floppy or a USB thumb drive, if you don't NEED the new features it enables or aren't having any other problems, then don't flash it.

Flashing a BIOS is one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" things.

Hi..Just want to ask for clarification(s)....
I have boards that can be flashed either using a diskette or from within Windows. If Windows bios flashing are not entirely safe, then why board makers made those softwares (bios flashing from within windows)? I think most probably they have refine/whatever they do to the software so that Windows bios flashing are as safe as flashing using diskette/usb disks.Isn't it just the same if you messed up your bios either in Windows or while flashing using diskette/usb disk....Please anybody explain because i can understand quite quick, but most of my customers don't, and i need u guys' help to explain to me so that... well.. i can re-explain to them...TQ...

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well, the program is safe, but maybe your windows isnt stable. I used @bios on my PC to. Worked perfect, easy and fast. I just stopped my antivirus and my firewall and maybe some other programs that it didnt need to flash.

Then the reboot... just scared me to death :lol:
It only beeped!!
(so i googled at my sisters pc and it turned out i had to reset the CMOS, because it was my first flash and i never had heard of CMOS i didnt knew that back then).

But if your windows is safe you can use @bios without any problems

Hi..Just want to ask for clarification(s)....
I have boards that can be flashed either using a diskette or from within Windows. If Windows bios flashing are not entirely safe, then why board makers made those softwares (bios flashing from within windows)? I think most probably they have refine/whatever they do to the software so that Windows bios flashing are as safe as flashing using diskette/usb disks.Isn't it just the same if you messed up your bios either in Windows or while flashing using diskette/usb disk....Please anybody explain because i can understand quite quick, but most of my customers don't, and i need u guys' help to explain to me so that... well.. i can re-explain to them...TQ...

Manufacturer's make these utilities for convienience to the end user. That's all. There is no risk of freezing while flashing from floppy, CD or USB flash drive in the same way there is when flashing through Windows. The only risk of a failed flash operation through a DOS like environment is if the power gets cut while the flash is taking place.