Upgrading CPU for the 939 Socket

GooberTheStinky

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I currently am running a AMD Athlon 64 3800+(Venice) in my custom system. In the furture I would like to upgrade it to a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+(Toledo) Dualcore. What I would like to know is if this will require me to reinstall windows to prevent any malfunctions. I would like to think that it wouldnt need a reinstall, but I figured I would ask the well informed patrons of Tom Hardware and get your opinions/experience.
(Running Windows Xp Sp2)
Thx in advance.

I currently am running a AMD Athlon 64 3800+(Venice) in my custom system. In the furture I would like to upgrade it to a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+(Toledo) Dualcore. What I would like to know is if this will require me to reinstall windows to prevent any malfunctions. I would like to think that it wouldnt need a reinstall, but I figured I would ask the well informed patrons of Tom Hardware and get your opinions/experience.
(Running Windows Xp Sp2)
Thx in advance.

The BIOS version of your motherboard must support the 4800X2. If your BIOS supports the the chip you should be able to install with no problem.

You may want to download the AMD DC processor driver and Optomizer from here:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

GooberTheStinky

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Thx for the reply. Im aware of the AMD dualcore Drivers and BIOS upgrading, but thx for bringing it up just in case. My MB is a ABIT KN8 SLI and before I get the X2 4800+ Ill upgrade the BIOS to the latest version. I was just concerened that XP or my applications, games etc. may have problems without a fresh install of the OS.