Myst play order

Is it better to start with one of the earlier versions of Myst than Myst IV
if you are just beginning this type of game. Usually I play the blood &
guts, blow up the monster games etc., and to tell the truth Myst IV is
pretty baffling. This is my first kick at this genre of game. Very cool
though, and plays well on an Alienware notebook by the way. I did have to
replace the shader .dll file back to the original "prepatch" file to get rid
of the jaggies.
Thanks for any input.

Paul
5 answers Last reply
More about myst play order
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    Paul in MN wrote:
    > Is it better to start with one of the earlier versions of Myst than Myst IV
    > if you are just beginning this type of game. Usually I play the blood &
    > guts, blow up the monster games etc., and to tell the truth Myst IV is
    > pretty baffling. This is my first kick at this genre of game. Very cool

    I'd recommend playing them in order. It won't make Myst IV any easier,
    but there's a very intricate plot running around the Myst games, usually
    in the shadows, so playing them in order and paying attention is the
    only way to pick it all up.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "Paul in MN" <ppridday@removeyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is it better to start with one of the earlier versions of Myst than Myst
    > IV
    > if you are just beginning this type of game. Usually I play the blood &
    > guts, blow up the monster games etc., and to tell the truth Myst IV is
    > pretty baffling. This is my first kick at this genre of game. Very cool
    > though, and plays well on an Alienware notebook by the way. I did have to
    > replace the shader .dll file back to the original "prepatch" file to get
    > rid
    > of the jaggies.
    > Thanks for any input.

    I say play them in order, so first Myst, then Riven, then Exile, then
    Revelations.
    That way you'll enjoy the story much more.

    --
    Unforgiven
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    I think they are all pretty difficult but the first one is probably the
    easiest.

    "Paul in MN" <ppridday@removeyahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Is it better to start with one of the earlier versions of Myst than Myst
    > IV
    > if you are just beginning this type of game. Usually I play the blood &
    > guts, blow up the monster games etc., and to tell the truth Myst IV is
    > pretty baffling. This is my first kick at this genre of game. Very cool
    > though, and plays well on an Alienware notebook by the way. I did have to
    > replace the shader .dll file back to the original "prepatch" file to get
    > rid
    > of the jaggies.
    > Thanks for any input.
    >
    > Paul

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "Unforgiven" <jaapd4000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Paul in MN" <ppridday@removeyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Is it better to start with one of the earlier versions of Myst than Myst
    > > IV
    > > if you are just beginning this type of game. Usually I play the blood &
    > > guts, blow up the monster games etc., and to tell the truth Myst IV is
    > > pretty baffling. This is my first kick at this genre of game. Very
    cool
    > > though, and plays well on an Alienware notebook by the way. I did have
    > > replace the shader .dll file back to the original "prepatch" file to get
    > > rid
    > > of the jaggies.
    > > Thanks for any input.
    >
    > I say play them in order, so first Myst, then Riven, then Exile, then
    > Revelations.
    > That way you'll enjoy the story much more.

    Don't forget URU which is not really part of the sequence, but still a good
    game.

    Graham
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "Grey" <grahame9@btinternet.com> wrote in message

    > "Unforgiven" <jaapd4000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Paul in MN" <ppridday@removeyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > Is it better to start with one of the earlier versions of Myst than
    >> > Myst
    >> > IV
    >> > if you are just beginning this type of game. Usually I play the blood
    >> > &
    >> > guts, blow up the monster games etc., and to tell the truth Myst IV is
    >> > pretty baffling. This is my first kick at this genre of game. Very
    > cool
    >> > though, and plays well on an Alienware notebook by the way. I did have
    >> > replace the shader .dll file back to the original "prepatch" file to
    >> > get
    >> > rid
    >> > of the jaggies.
    >> > Thanks for any input.
    >>
    >> I say play them in order, so first Myst, then Riven, then Exile, then
    >> Revelations.
    >> That way you'll enjoy the story much more.
    >
    > Don't forget URU which is not really part of the sequence, but still a
    > good
    > game.

    But it doesn't really matter when you play that one, since it doesn't tie
    into the main continuity.
    If you have the chance, I would also recommend reading The Book of Atrus
    between Myst and Riven, and The Book of Ti'ana and The Book of D'ni between
    Riven and Exile.

    --
    Unforgiven

Games Video Games