Sign in with
Your question

7900gs vs 1900GT vs X1800XT. All same price! Ahhgggg. Help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 9, 2006 5:07:57 PM

Hi everyone. I hope you all are doing well. :D 

I am in a dilemma. The nVidia 7900GS , Ati 1900GT and X1800XT are all near enough the same damn price.

I have checked the benchmarks and the X1800XT>1900GT>7900GS.

If you guys and gals were in my situation, which card would you go for and why?

Thanks in advance.
September 9, 2006 5:27:53 PM

Get the X1900XT for 100$ more. Or the 7900 GT for 50$ more.

I would say, the X1900GT is abt the as the 7900 GS. They have similar performance and they both have locked pipelines, so u cant overclock them as well and they dont perform as well as the 7900 GT. And if u want the best card on earth, get the X1900XT for 100$ more. What is 100$, 2 games?
September 9, 2006 5:32:17 PM

Quote:

I am in a dilemma. The nVidia 7900GS , Ati 1900GT and X1800XT are all near enough the same damn price.

Thanks in advance.

If I were in your situation, I'd go for the X1800XT.
I picked one out for my friend who runs Counter-Strike: Source, Doom 3, and Oblivion with ease on high settings.
If you can spare the extra cash, raising your sights to the X1900 level would be a advantageous as well. But out of those three, I'd go for the X1800XT.
Related resources
September 9, 2006 5:35:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

If I were in your situation, I'd go for the X1800XT.
I picked one out for my friend who runs Counter-Strike: Source, Doom 3, and Oblivion with ease on high settings.
If you can spare the extra cash, raising your sights to the X1900 level would be a advantageous as well. But out of those three, I'd go for the X1800XT.

But the X1800XT cant overclock as well as a 7900 GT and an X1900 GT has 36 pipes while the X1800XT has only 16.

Out of the box the X1800XT might be a little bit better, but it has less potential, do u even know what ur talking abt?
September 9, 2006 5:45:39 PM

Get your facts straight! X1900GT has 36 pixel shaders, not pipelines.

Out of those three, X1800XT is best at stock. I would eliminate the X1900GT, and consider 7900GT and X1800XT.
September 9, 2006 5:47:16 PM

Quote:
But the X1800XT cant overclock as well as a 7900 GT and an X1900 GT has 36 pipes while the X1800XT has only 16.

Out of the box the X1800XT might be a little bit better, but it has less potential, do u even know what ur talking abt?

Maybe he's not interested in overclocking? :roll:
Did he express any interest whatsoever in overclocking?

He asked, out of the three cards he listed ... which would you choose?

And you obviously don't know what you're talking about. The X1800XT has 16 pixel pipelines (16 pixel shader processors), while the X1900GT has 12 pixel pipelines (36 pixel shader processors).

You even admit that the X1800XT is the best card, yet you insist on making a purchase based on potential rather than baseline performance.
Maybe you shouldn't be giving advice here... :roll:
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 9, 2006 5:49:59 PM

x1800xt. You better hurry and get one however, newegg is/was out of the 256mb model, and I would assume this would be true for other stores now/soon.
September 9, 2006 5:56:31 PM

The end result and performance of the X1900GT is the same, having 36 pipelines or pixel shaders.

When are ppl going to stop replying to me and calling me wrong? I know more then u.

@ ARBY:
"What if hes not interested in overclocking?"

Why do all retards on these forums challenge me by saying that maybe some ppl dont want to overclock? Maybe cause u have nothing else to say? Who knows, im not one to understand retards.

The whole point of buying a high-end card is overclocking, it is calculated into the equasion of wich card to actually buy.

If i didnt look at it, then i would just as easily buy the X1800XL and not the 7900 GT when the 7900 GT can reach the speeds of a 7900 GTX, the fastest card on earth.
September 9, 2006 5:59:41 PM

Quote:
The end result and performance of the X1900GT is the same, having 36 pipelines or pixel shaders.

If X1900GT had 36 pipelines, it would cost at least $400, and would be best card out there.

Quote:
When are ppl going to stop replying to me and calling me wrong?

When you say the right things....

Quote:
I know more then u.

I really want to believe you, I truly do.

Quote:
The whole point of buying a high-end card is overclocking, it is calculated into the equasion of wich card to actually buy.

The point of buying a high end card, is to get best possible performance out of the box. Would you buy a X1800GTO for same price as X1800XT? Well, it can unlock pipelines, and has great overclocking potential. And still, no one will buy a X1800GTO at same price as X1800XT.
September 9, 2006 6:00:31 PM

Thanks for the speedy response all. I live in the UK thus can't use NewEgg. However, I know a site where I can get the Connect3D X1800XT 256MB. They have them in stock.

Also, sorry that I did not mention it before but I am not interested in overclocking what-so-ever. So I don't think the 7900GT would be appropriate for me...great card though. 8)
September 9, 2006 6:02:57 PM

Quote:

If X1900GT had 36 pipelines, it would cost at least $400, and would be best card out there.

Explaining the difference beetween pipelines and pixel shaders would be of need here, so i just say pipelines, its how i refer to it.

I doubt he would look at that and say "36 pipelines, 108 pixel shaders".
September 9, 2006 6:05:17 PM

Pipelines and pixel shaders are totally different, so don't switch names while giving advice.
September 9, 2006 6:05:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the speedy response all. I live in the UK thus can't use NewEgg. However, I know a site where I can get the Connect3D X1800XT 256MB. They have them in stock.

Also, sorry that I did not mention it before but I am not interested in overclocking what-so-ever. So I don't think the 7900GT would be appropriate for me...great card though. 8)

How can u not be "interested" in overclocking?
You can overclock the 7900 GT over 200Mhz above it's stock freaquency, wich would boost performance unbelivably. Overclocking is the most important thing abt owning a high-end card.

This thread is getting stupid.. ive said what i think.
September 9, 2006 6:12:55 PM

Quote:
You can overclock the 7900 GT over 200Mhz above it's stock freaquency, wich would boost performance unbelivably. Overclocking is the most important thing abt owning a high-end card.

I've ordered a X1950XTX and have no interest in overclocking right out of the box. My friend owns an X1800XT and has no interest in overclocking, ever. I also know other forum users here who own high-end cards simply to avoid having to play the overclocking game.
Some of us don't mind paying for performance...

With many manufacturers, overclocking voids the warranty. The process can also lead to malfunction, a lessened lifespan for the hardware, and higher heat/noise yield in consequence.

Quote:

It's interesting that you're the one making that observation. I believe it began to head down that road the moment you decided to click "Submit."
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 9, 2006 6:18:22 PM

Dude, you need to brush up on your video card technology.

Quote:

Lets take a look at the x1900XT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
As it clearly shows in the description, it has
"PixelPipelines 16(48 pixel shader processors) " If the x1900GT had 36 PixelPipelines, it would be far faster then the x1900xt. (which everyone I know would disagree with.) There is a difference, go look it up if you don't know.

About overclocking, you overclock a lowend card to save you money. You overclock a lowend card to get back speed that was removed to sell it as a lowend card. You overclock a lowend card because who cares if you blow a $100 card. Highend cards are harder to overclock because they are already running so close to the edge of whats possible for the chip. There isn't a lot of room left to overclock.

BTW...

Quote:

If one person tells you this, then there is a good chance s/he doesn't understand. But if many people are telling you this, what makes you (one) right over many? (10+)
September 9, 2006 6:27:15 PM

Quote:

So? What a noob, if he doesnt want to overclock then its up to him. Overclocking is not a requirement to buy a high end card.
September 9, 2006 6:51:00 PM

Quote:

Please don't jump into conclusions unless u know what are his real intentions

There are countless of enthusiast around the world that love to have state-aof-the-art hardware, but as is, not overclocked whatsoever....If he don't want to oc, let him be.He has his own concerns, so are all of us....

Quote:
About overclocking, you overclock a lowend card to save you money. You overclock a lowend card to get back speed that was removed to sell it as a lowend card. You overclock a lowend card because who cares if you blow a $100 card. Highend cards are harder to overclock because they are already running so close to the edge of whats possible for the chip. There isn't a lot of room left to overclock

Totally agree....it's just i think some ATi card i think, u can oc it ....but well, 4745454b damn right about his abovementioned points
September 9, 2006 7:23:07 PM

Wow, taking everything into consideration...I guess it's the X1800XT then.

The reason why I'm not interested in overclocking is that in a years time, I will probably get a new DirectX 10 card. In a year or so, the DirectX 10 platform would have matured quite nicely. Thus, the reason for me going for a mid ranged card.

Besides, I do not want to purchase a high end card until one that can run Oblivion above 30 frames/sec (maxed out) comes out. I'm prepared to wait for that. :?:
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2006 7:36:09 PM

track seems to be going down the wrong track lol.
he did this in another post too. :) 
September 9, 2006 7:38:34 PM

Quote:
track seems to be going down the wrong track lol.
he did this in another post too. :) 

LMAO, the irony! :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2006 7:45:09 PM

hey man any of those cards you mentioned will work great.
if you can get x1800 go for it.

you wont be dissapointed.
September 9, 2006 8:09:15 PM

Yes once again Track is dealing out BS advice. It would appear that the OP's price range is in the approx. $200 (whatever the U.K. works out to) range and what does track do? He recommends a $300 card or $250 card.

Yes the 7900GT is an excellent overclocker, but so is the X1800XT. The X1800XT will outdo a reference 7900GT, 7900GS, and the X1900GT in most games. Before telling people to get a card based on it's overclocking qualities, check to see if they're even going to bother to OC instead of assuming it.

Quote:
When are ppl going to stop replying to me and calling me wrong? I know more then u.

Thanks for the laugh on that one. Based on your previous posts in these forums I'd have to say that you're full of sh!t.

Quote:

Maybe to only your narrow point of view.

Quote:

Thanks. It's been noted. Have a nice day! :) 
September 9, 2006 8:31:51 PM

Quote:

Remind me to never take anything you say seriously. :wink:
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2006 12:16:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
I know more then u.

Quote:

The point of buying a high end card, is to get best possible performance out of the box. Would you buy a X1800GTO for same price as X1800XT? Well, it can unlock pipelines, and has great overclocking potential. And still, no one will buy a X1800GTO at same price as X1800XT.

Glad you replied; that saved me some time. :wink: Considering how he was putting his foot in his mouth, I'd say you went easy on him. :p 
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2006 12:18:32 AM

Quote:

I agree, and priced the same that's the order I would buy them also.
September 10, 2006 12:40:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
I know more then u.

Quote:

Glad you replied; that saved me some time. :wink: Considering how he was putting his foot in his mouth, I'd say you went easy on him. :p 
I'm even surprised I went so easy on him, school just started, I should have really exploded. :twisted:
September 10, 2006 1:06:38 AM

this is the third topic i've enountered track giving terrible advice...not only does he give the bad advice but when confronted will not back down to someone who has posted more factual based information...
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2006 1:14:54 AM

agreed

edit; yes he goes off the op and adds ocing and higher than budget
components than what op has asked for
September 10, 2006 1:15:46 AM

Moral of the story.
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2006 2:31:19 AM

I also agree.
!