P5W dual channel Corsair issues

I am having some lockup/freezing/slowdown problems with my new computer.

Specs:

Core 2 Duo E6600
2x Corsair XM2 1024-6400C4
P5W DH Deluxe WiFi
X1900XT 512mb WDC 250GB HDD

Basiclly it doesnt multitask very well, running Guild Wars and Media Player causes extreme slowdown, sound problems, lockups, you name it. This doesnt happen constantly, but often enough for it to be a real concern.

I am running my RAM in dual channel configuration, slots A1 and B1, and CPU-Z showed up earlier that the DIMM in slot B1 was running at 1200mhz and had extremelly high timings.

I reseated the DIMM and have not seen that again, however, using PC Wizard from the same site as CPU-Z shows that my RAM in slot B1 has 0volts, and is running at timinings of 0-0-0-0 @ inf mhz.

Also, CPU-Z showed once some garbled readings, like @{}~ characters in my RAM description, and once the name switched from corsair to something like whatever industries.

I switched the DIMMS around, and booted up the Computer with each DIMM individually, and it works fine.

CPU-Z windows and everything else I use tells me I have 2 GB of working RAM, PCWizard and switching DIMMS is telling me that any RAM put into slot B1 is basiclly inoperative.

So do I have a faulty board? Or have I missed something, as this is my first home build and is only a few weeks old. Is it possible I have counterfeit RAM?

Any advice or ideas would be great.
6 answers Last reply
More about dual channel corsair issues
  1. The CPU will automatically slow down if it starts overheating. What brand and model CPU heatsink fan are you using? What is your CPU temp? What is your system temp, and any other temps?
    What brand and model power supply are you using? (Not enough +12V can cause problems).
    Are your memory settings done as "auto" or manually? If the latter, what are they set to? Have you adjusted memory voltage?

To test your memory, use memtest86+ and run for at least a few hours.
  2. CPU Temp sits at around 30C, im using a Zalman Copper pipe CPU Fan, model CNPS9500 AT

Motherboard is around 40-45C, with three case fans, plus Asus fanless cooling system.

PSU is 580W, I forget the make and will check it out.

The memory voltages are set automatically, and the voltage for the 2nd DIMM in either dual channel or single channel mode reads as 0v using PC Wizard.

I have booted the PC up using each DIMM seperatly, and have run memtest to 100% coverage, and have had a succesfull boot and zero faults returned.

The only problem readings I get are occasionally on CPU-Z it will give extremelly high frequency and high timings for DIMM 2, and in PCWizard it will show DIMM 2 operating at 0v with timings of 0-0-0-0 and 1.#inf mhz frequency.

It does not matter which DIMM is DIMM2, nor does it matter whether it is Dual or single channel. The second DIMM always returns these PCWizard readings.

I could try manually setting the voltages for DIMM2 but I have never done that before.

Im thinking a possible motherboard fault but im not sure.
  3. I would say that's a board problem, but try check your psu too
  4. Quote:
    CPU Temp sits at around 30C, im using a Zalman Copper pipe CPU Fan, model CNPS9500 AT

Motherboard is around 40-45C, with three case fans, plus Asus fanless cooling system....

The motherboard temp seems high for idle. One possible issue is the CPU hsf. The Intel thermal spec indicates that the hsf should blow air down onto the MB and out in all directions from the CPU in order to cool nearby components, including the PWM (power), the northbridge, and the radiator for the heatpipe. The Zalman 9500 does NOT meet this spec, unlike the 7000 and 7700 "flower-style" coolers, and of course the Intel OEM cooler. I would try temporarily removing the Zalman and installing the OEM Intel hsf to see if that helps. Then, run 2 copies of Prime95, one on each core, to stress the CPU and see if you still have problems.
  5. Sure but its not exactly 'idle'. Its not running something like Oblivion, but its running multiple applications including various games for many hours. In a small bedroom.

It could be a heat issue, but I dont understand why when I use PCWizard, the 2nd RAM DIMM always shows up operating at 0volts 0-0-0-0 timings and infinate frequency, no matter which DIMM I use.

I dont think it is Processor issue myself, considering everything from Game performance to sensor and application readings points to the fact my 2nd RAM DIMM is recognised but not working.
  6. Quote:
    Sure but its not exactly 'idle'. Its not running something like Oblivion, but its running multiple applications including various games for many hours. In a small bedroom.

Fair enough. So what are the temps when the system is idle?

Quote:
    It could be a heat issue, but I dont understand why when I use PCWizard, the 2nd RAM DIMM always shows up operating at 0volts 0-0-0-0 timings and infinate frequency, no matter which DIMM I use.

You were misreading the info from PCWizard. See my post in your other thread.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Dual Channel Corsair