What if my c: drive is in the red can you move the OS to the D: drive

muz_j

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

Yes, the OS could be moved - and quite easily too, but it's not necessarily a good idea.
eg: image the OS using a freeware or commercial disk imaging tool, restore image to the second hdd, update the boot.ini and then the only thing left to tidy up is the original copy of the operating system. quite a straight forward and simple job and with fast drives, it can be done in a relatively short period of time too.

I am ignoring the question of whether or not it's a good idea or the best solution to the poster's problem, but if moving the OS is useful, then it's quite simple to do.

+12 to the above - I do it at least once a week using Acronis True Image 11 but I'm assured some free utilities are equally up to the job.

Before taking that step, I can usually recover about 5Gb from the system Partition just by de-cluttering. More details on request.

Chromefox79

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

can someone please help? lol... and i dont know why i need help anyway, i build laptops for people, im sooo embarrassed

Chromefox79

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
how do you move files from C to D i have an 80gig HDD but 60 of it is on my D drive for some reason, and i wasnt thinking and installed 7 on my C drive as usual! but owell thanks guys!!

analytic

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Windows 7 is capable of expanding existing partitions, providing it has unallocated space to expand to.
So in your case, you could delete D, expand C and then recreate D over the remaining space.

TRENDING THREADS