Your question
Closed

Looking for good US retailer which accepts UK credit cards

Tags:
  • Computer Shops
Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
April 29, 2007 2:01:44 AM

Hi,
I am a UK resident and am visiting the US for a couple of days next month. As everything is about 30% less in the US Im looking for a cheap online retailer which will accept UK cards and will ship to a friends house in NYC from where I can pick it up. This will also mean that I will be shipping to an address which my card is not registered to. Is this a problem in the states?

Alternatively, are there any shops in NYC which have prices any where near as good as online prices such as those at newegg.com?

Thanks for your help
Dan

More about : good retailer accepts credit cards

April 29, 2007 5:10:53 AM

The credit card address mismatch will spook a lot of companies. I have no problem using my credit cards to import items from the UK, but my address matches my card. All you can do is call (with a phone...) the on-line vendor you want to buy from and ask.
I live near Chicago and there are numerous places to buy computer equipment at relatively good prices. Sale prices are cheaper than the normal internet price, while normal prices are a few % higher. In the mighty NYC you should be able to do as well or better, except for picante sauce.
I only know of J&R music world as a NYC vendor, primarily as a HUGE audio and video vendor. They also sell computers and related parts. You may do better elsewhere, but they will be cheaper than UK pricing.
May 7, 2007 8:17:25 PM

It looks like I will be best off trying to find a bricks and mortar store in NYC. Can anyone give me any more recommendations for the cheapest places?

As a side question... can anyone advise me on whether it is safe to put CPUs or memory through airport Xrays!
Related resources
May 7, 2007 8:39:23 PM

Quote:
This will also mean that I will be shipping to an address which my card is not registered to. Is this a problem in the states?

If they accept your UK card, it shouldn't be a problem at all. As long as your billing address matches the address on your card, they should accept any shipping address. This is how you buy gifts online, remember.

Quote:
As a side question... can anyone advise me on whether it is safe to put CPUs or memory through airport Xrays!

Shouldn't cause a problem. I work in a building with xray security at every entrance. My PDA, MP3 player, and cell phone go through every morning, without any issues.
May 12, 2007 12:01:28 AM

I am still on the lookout for any online US retailers that ccept international credit cards. Can anyone please help? Perhaps just a list of all of the major well priced online shops so I can go and search through b hand!

Thanks
Dan
February 16, 2009 7:10:57 AM

If they accept your UK card, it shouldn't be a problem at all. As long as your billing address matches the address on your card, they should accept any shipping address. Merchant Account Services
September 4, 2010 12:09:56 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!