Disabling Voice Recorder

January 14, 2005 1:09:46 AM

Hello,

Does anyone know how to disable the Voice Recorder function on the Pocket
PC?

The company that I work for has a new security rule that bans all cassette
or digital recorders.
I can bring in my HP 6315 Pocket PC / Phone into work because of this rule.
I was wondering
if anyone knew how to disable the software or cripple the voice recorder? I
would even consider
deleting the Notepad function, since I love this PDA/phone.

Merely disabling the record button is not enough. I need to purge,
deactivate, or cripple the voice
recording fuction all together.

All comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Please email me at rc@lava.net

Thanks!
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 12:36:10 PM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:09:46 -1000, Robert C <rc@lava.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know how to disable the Voice Recorder function on the Pocket
> PC?
>
> The company that I work for has a new security rule that bans all
> cassette
> or digital recorders.
> I can bring in my HP 6315 Pocket PC / Phone into work because of this
> rule.
> I was wondering
> if anyone knew how to disable the software or cripple the voice
> recorder? I
> would even consider
> deleting the Notepad function, since I love this PDA/phone.
>
> Merely disabling the record button is not enough. I need to purge,
> deactivate, or cripple the voice
> recording fuction all together.
>
> All comments and suggestions are appreciated!
>
> Please email me at rc@lava.net

Wow! That's some policy. Would they actually be checking on your unit?

If you want to back up your device and use a registry editor, you could
try deleting the Voice recorder dependencies. like :MSVOICE key under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:MSVOICE

Note: This is absolutely at your own risk!!! Back up first.

Good luck,
Brad

--
editor, www.pocketpcaddict.com
developer Achieve-IT! PPC Goal Setter:

"Brad Isaac" <admin@stopspam.pocketpcaddict.com> wrote in
news:o psklj6kzg25tyy7@ahec_admin.mosescone.com:

> Wow! That's some policy. Would they actually be checking on your unit?
>
> If you want to back up your device and use a registry editor, you could
> try deleting the Voice recorder dependencies. like :MSVOICE key under
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:MSVOICE
>
> Note: This is absolutely at your own risk!!! Back up first.
>
> Good luck,
> Brad

This change wouldn't survive a hard reset

Scott
January 14, 2005 5:39:21 PM

On 14 Jan 2005 14:39:20 GMT, Scott Seidman <namdiesttocs@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>> Good luck,
>> Brad
>>

> This change wouldn't survive a hard reset
>
> Scott

That's True, but what's your point?

--
editor, www.pocketpcaddict.com
developer Achieve-IT! PPC Goal Setter:
http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/Achieve.htm
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 5:39:21 PM

Reply to message from Scott Seidman <namdiesttocs@mindspring.com> (Fri, 14
Jan 2005 09:39:20) about ""Re: Disabling Voice Recorder"":

SS> This change wouldn't survive a hard reset

SS> Scott

Your only choice would seem to be a hardware mod- in this case
disconnecting or disabling the microphone. Otherwise a hard reset brings
back the functionality.

A lot of nice mp3s now record, as well as some laptops and cell phones-
this is going going to be difficult to enforce. Heck, any telephone can
call a number with a recorder and act as a remote mike. Same for a
"forgotten" cell phone with autoanswer capabilities - plant it, turn the
ringernoff, call it back later and record from the remote location.

This smacks of a "management " decision without consideration for the
mechanics of implementation.

Good luck.
January 14, 2005 6:18:50 PM

Robert C wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know how to disable the Voice Recorder function on the Pocket
> PC?
>
> The company that I work for has a new security rule that bans all cassette
> or digital recorders.
> I can bring in my HP 6315 Pocket PC / Phone into work because of this rule.
> I was wondering
> if anyone knew how to disable the software or cripple the voice recorder? I
> would even consider
> deleting the Notepad function, since I love this PDA/phone.
>
> Merely disabling the record button is not enough. I need to purge,
> deactivate, or cripple the voice
> recording fuction all together.
>
> All comments and suggestions are appreciated!
>
> Please email me at rc@lava.net
>
> Thanks!

I think the best option would be to downgrade to a basic palm device
(under £100) that does the basics, since any high-end machine will have
this built in and apart from dismantaling it i can't think of a way of
disabling it that someone couldn't get past. In this day and age you
can't stop people anyway, since many mobiles have this function as well.

Marc

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

Personally, I would get another job. I can appreciate some security - but
that is (IMHO) completely ridiculous.

Do they count the number of times you go to the bathroom and whether it was
"#1" or "#2" also?

-bwr-

"Marc" <see@signature.url> wrote in message
> Robert C wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Does anyone know how to disable the Voice Recorder function on the Pocket
>> PC?
>>
>> The company that I work for has a new security rule that bans all
>> cassette
>> or digital recorders.
>> I can bring in my HP 6315 Pocket PC / Phone into work because of this
>> rule.
>> I was wondering
>> if anyone knew how to disable the software or cripple the voice recorder?
>> would even consider
>> deleting the Notepad function, since I love this PDA/phone.
>>
>> Merely disabling the record button is not enough. I need to purge,
>> deactivate, or cripple the voice
>> recording fuction all together.
>>
>> All comments and suggestions are appreciated!
>>
>> Please email me at rc@lava.net
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> I think the best option would be to downgrade to a basic palm device
> (under £100) that does the basics, since any high-end machine will have
> this built in and apart from dismantaling it i can't think of a way of
> disabling it that someone couldn't get past. In this day and age you can't
> stop people anyway, since many mobiles have this function as well.
>
> Marc
>

> --
> Marc
> See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 7:24:16 PM

"Brad Isaac" <admin@stopspam.pocketpcaddict.com> wrote in
news:o psklk4dt825tyy7@ahec_admin.mosescone.com:

> On 14 Jan 2005 14:39:20 GMT, Scott Seidman
> <namdiesttocs@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>> Good luck,
>>> Brad
>>>

>> This change wouldn't survive a hard reset
>>
>> Scott
>
> That's True, but what's your point?

The point would be that if the user could hard reset and get his recorder
back, you couldn't call the recorder "disabled", and the unit would not be
accepatable to his employer.

Scott
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 7:24:17 PM

On 14 Jan 2005 16:24:16 GMT, Scott Seidman <namdiesttocs@mindspring.com>
wrote:

> "Brad Isaac" <admin@stopspam.pocketpcaddict.com> wrote in
> news:o psklk4dt825tyy7@ahec_admin.mosescone.com:

>>> This change wouldn't survive a hard reset
>>>
>>> Scott
>>
>> That's True, but what's your point?
>>

> The point would be that if the user could hard reset and get his recorder
> back, you couldn't call the recorder "disabled", and the unit would not
> be
> accepatable to his employer.
>
> Scott

Yeah, I guess so. But if management was doing spot checks you could
always hand them the device and say "Ok, let's see you record with it."

--
Brad Isaac
editor-in-chief, www.pocketpcaddict.com

The software is in the ROM. So, no matter what you do, you will get it back
after a hard reset. The best bet is to take out the hardware component but
I don't have information on that.
--
Email: developer@jointsense.com.hk
Homepage: http://www.jointsense.com.hk/

"Robert C" <rc@lava.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know how to disable the Voice Recorder function on the Pocket
> PC?
>
> The company that I work for has a new security rule that bans all cassette
> or digital recorders.
> I can bring in my HP 6315 Pocket PC / Phone into work because of this
> rule.
> I was wondering
> if anyone knew how to disable the software or cripple the voice recorder?
> would even consider
> deleting the Notepad function, since I love this PDA/phone.
>
> Merely disabling the record button is not enough. I need to purge,
> deactivate, or cripple the voice
> recording fuction all together.
>
> All comments and suggestions are appreciated!
>
> Please email me at rc@lava.net
>
> Thanks!

January 14, 2005 7:50:44 PM

Brad Isaac wrote:

>> This change wouldn't survive a hard reset
>>
>> Scott
>

> That's True, but what's your point?

I think his point was that, a hard reset would bring back the sound
recording dependency files, and so anyone could take the battery out for
a few minutes and get it back. Please tell me if I misinterpreted that.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
January 14, 2005 11:12:38 PM

Bruce Roeser wrote:

> Personally, I would get another job. I can appreciate some security - but
> that is (IMHO) completely ridiculous.
>
> Do they count the number of times you go to the bathroom and whether it was
> "#1" or "#2" also?

Its the idiot managers who don't have a clue in most cases.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 11:15:37 PM

"Bruce Roeser" <broeser@stromberg.com> wrote in

> Personally, I would get another job. I can appreciate some security -
> but that is (IMHO) completely ridiculous.
>
> Do they count the number of times you go to the bathroom and whether
> it was "#1" or "#2" also?
>
> -bwr-

Perhaps they're trying to maintain a clearance or something. And yes,
there are some types of security environments in which a change in bathroom
habits would be noticed and queried--especially if you kept bringing
folders marked "classified" in with you.

Scott
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 1:35:21 AM

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:57:30 -0500, xTenn
<xtennremovethispart@tds.net> wrote:

>Your only choice would seem to be a hardware mod- in this case
>disconnecting or disabling the microphone. Otherwise a hard reset brings
>back the functionality.
>
>A lot of nice mp3s now record, as well as some laptops and cell phones-
>this is going going to be difficult to enforce. Heck, any telephone can
>call a number with a recorder and act as a remote mike. Same for a
>"forgotten" cell phone with autoanswer capabilities - plant it, turn the
>ringernoff, call it back later and record from the remote location.

Not only that, but it's been possible for about 30 years among
'Phreakers' (phone hackers) to arrange for a phone extension to be
activated as a microphone without ever having it ring or calling the
number ;-)) Let's see how paranoid they are when you tell them that !

Cheers - Neil

>This smacks of a "management " decision without consideration for the
>mechanics of implementation.

Exactly.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 6:20:45 PM

Hence the push to talk phones in many of the places I frequent. The button
on the handset physically disconnects the mic unless you hold it down.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:57:30 -0500, xTenn
> <xtennremovethispart@tds.net> wrote:
>
> >Your only choice would seem to be a hardware mod- in this case
> >disconnecting or disabling the microphone. Otherwise a hard reset brings
> >back the functionality.
> >
> >A lot of nice mp3s now record, as well as some laptops and cell phones-
> >this is going going to be difficult to enforce. Heck, any telephone can
> >call a number with a recorder and act as a remote mike. Same for a
> >"forgotten" cell phone with autoanswer capabilities - plant it, turn the
> >ringernoff, call it back later and record from the remote location.
>
> Not only that, but it's been possible for about 30 years among
> 'Phreakers' (phone hackers) to arrange for a phone extension to be
> activated as a microphone without ever having it ring or calling the
> number ;-)) Let's see how paranoid they are when you tell them that !
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> >This smacks of a "management " decision without consideration for the
> >mechanics of implementation.
>
> Exactly.

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 6:22:00 PM

We were out of TP! Give me a break ;)

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Scott Seidman" <namdiesttocs@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> "Bruce Roeser" <broeser@stromberg.com> wrote in
>
> > Personally, I would get another job. I can appreciate some security -
> > but that is (IMHO) completely ridiculous.
> >
> > Do they count the number of times you go to the bathroom and whether
> > it was "#1" or "#2" also?
> >
> > -bwr-
> >

> Perhaps they're trying to maintain a clearance or something. And yes,
> there are some types of security environments in which a change in
bathroom
> habits would be noticed and queried--especially if you kept bringing
> folders marked "classified" in with you.
>
> Scott
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 6:30:28 PM

Don't know if it is worth the effort, but if you point out that virtually
all current laptops have a recording function, and nearly every basic PC
these days has audio on the motherboard , which means it has a line in an
mic connection, and even the voice-mail on your phone is a recording device.
Wouldn't it be more prudent to just make the rule that no unauthorized
recording is allowed, and leave it up to the employees, who have been
cleared to be in the area to comply with the standard, with the
understanding of the consequences of not doing so? Visitors can be held to a
different standard than employees. They can be expected to leave the devices
out front, for the short time they are in the facility.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Robert C" <rc@lava.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know how to disable the Voice Recorder function on the Pocket
> PC?
>
> The company that I work for has a new security rule that bans all cassette
> or digital recorders.
> I can bring in my HP 6315 Pocket PC / Phone into work because of this
rule.
> I was wondering
> if anyone knew how to disable the software or cripple the voice recorder?
> would even consider
> deleting the Notepad function, since I love this PDA/phone.
>
> Merely disabling the record button is not enough. I need to purge,
> deactivate, or cripple the voice
> recording fuction all together.
>
> All comments and suggestions are appreciated!
>
> Please email me at rc@lava.net
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 9:02:46 PM

to list a few devices that ship "recording ready";

pocketpcs
many other pda's
tape note takers
digital note takers
many digital audio players
cell phone (to number with recorder)
wired phone (to number with recorder)
almost all laptops
many pc's
many digital still cameras
video cameras

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 9:59:56 AM

I want to thank everyone's input. I very much appreciate
all your suggestions and help!

Here's a followup of what I did.

Although it's not the solution I was looking for, I was only
semi-successful. I know I need
to take this one step further, as I'm only an amateur that's
groping and taking some risks here...

I downloaded Resco Explorer that included a registry editior.
It's got a 30 day trial, so I at least didn't have to pay for it
right away.

I renamed the :MSVOICE and :MSHOTVOICE registry keys,
but when I used the Notes function, I could still record my voice.
So that didn't work.

I then proceeded to rename the :MSNOTETAKE key, and that
prevented the Notes Program from launching. I asked myself -
did this key modification only corrupt the icon shortcut, or did it
truly prevent the program from launching in the OS?

I decided to look under /My_Device/Windows/ to find the
Notes icon. I click on it, and Notes opens up. Damn. The
record function is there an it works too.

Does anybody out there know how to cripple or disable the
voice recorder in the registry???

Physically removing the microphone is not an option. I have a
HP 6315, which is also a phone. I can't do without the phone.

By the way, a soft reset didn't reset the registry.

The reason why my company doesn't allow recording devices
is because of security reasons. It's not just my company - a lot
of companies are doing this. I'm sure if I'm able to get this tweak
to work, there are a lot of other people in the same predicament.

Thanks!
Robert
rc@lava.net

"Brad Isaac" <admin@stopspam.pocketpcaddict.com> wrote in message
news:o psklj6kzg25tyy7@ahec_admin.mosescone.com...

> Wow! That's some policy. Would they actually be checking on your unit?
>
> If you want to back up your device and use a registry editor, you could
> try deleting the Voice recorder dependencies. like :MSVOICE key under
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:MSVOICE
>
> Note: This is absolutely at your own risk!!! Back up first.
>
> Good luck,
> Brad
>
> --
> editor, www.pocketpcaddict.com
> developer Achieve-IT! PPC Goal Setter:
> http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/Achieve.htm
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:22:26 AM

They mentioned a hard reset would reset it (it would also delete any files
that you have added since you purchased the device, and would reverse any
changes you have made (rom upgrades, personal settings, phone numbers,
everything.)

usually this process is done by holding the power button down at the same
time as the soft reset button (sometimes you have to hold it for as much as
8 to 10 seconds to actually do it.)

>I want to thank everyone's input. I very much appreciate
> all your suggestions and help!
>
> Here's a followup of what I did.
>
> Although it's not the solution I was looking for, I was only
> semi-successful. I know I need
> to take this one step further, as I'm only an amateur that's
> groping and taking some risks here...
>
> I downloaded Resco Explorer that included a registry editior.
> It's got a 30 day trial, so I at least didn't have to pay for it
> right away.
>
> I renamed the :MSVOICE and :MSHOTVOICE registry keys,
> but when I used the Notes function, I could still record my voice.
> So that didn't work.
>
> I then proceeded to rename the :MSNOTETAKE key, and that
> prevented the Notes Program from launching. I asked myself -
> did this key modification only corrupt the icon shortcut, or did it
> truly prevent the program from launching in the OS?
>
> I decided to look under /My_Device/Windows/ to find the
> Notes icon. I click on it, and Notes opens up. Damn. The
> record function is there an it works too.
>
> Does anybody out there know how to cripple or disable the
> voice recorder in the registry???
>
> Physically removing the microphone is not an option. I have a
> HP 6315, which is also a phone. I can't do without the phone.
>
> By the way, a soft reset didn't reset the registry.
>
> The reason why my company doesn't allow recording devices
> is because of security reasons. It's not just my company - a lot
> of companies are doing this. I'm sure if I'm able to get this tweak
> to work, there are a lot of other people in the same predicament.
>
> Thanks!
> Robert
> rc@lava.net
>

> "Brad Isaac" <admin@stopspam.pocketpcaddict.com> wrote in message
> news:o psklj6kzg25tyy7@ahec_admin.mosescone.com...
>>
>> Wow! That's some policy. Would they actually be checking on your unit?
>>
>> If you want to back up your device and use a registry editor, you could
>> try deleting the Voice recorder dependencies. like :MSVOICE key under
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:MSVOICE
>>
>> Note: This is absolutely at your own risk!!! Back up first.
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Brad
>>
>> --
>> editor, www.pocketpcaddict.com
>> developer Achieve-IT! PPC Goal Setter:
>> http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/Achieve.htm

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:31:02 AM

missing:

MP3 players
watches
the human brain
VCR's (with added mic input device)
pens (yes the things you write with, they are kind of expensive I guess,
depending on how nice a pen you want)

I'm sure there some people out there that could make the list much longer
too...

Unless the company has, or is attempting to get government security
clearance then they are just being anal and are trying to strip their
employees of their rights. does anyone you work with have an audiographical
memory? what about paper and pencil? are they banning that because someone
might write down what was said? Or how about out going mail, do they open
and search everything that leaves the building?

There is a point where paranoia becomes stupidity, and most people can not
distinguish between the two.

message news:o II7261%23EHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...