Opteron or X2?

moof

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I know they r good but im not going tospend money on one just yet im going ot w8t 4 K8L and Core 2 Quatro.

npilier

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Im having trouble desideing between and Opti and an X2.

These are the two im deciding on pleas gimmi your imput.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1649709&CatId=2040

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1446929

note: these prices are in canadian $.

and please dont go off topic and tell me to get a Conroe.

And i am planing on OCing.

Seriously this time, if you are planning to use CPU-based intensive programs like video/photo editing and/or 3D rendering etc, both chips are equally equipped to harness down those tasks. However, you have not specified if you are planning to use such system for that specific purpose or (plus) for gaming as well.

In my opinion, you'll see the true performance of Opties on cpu intensive apps in 2P systems; I don't know about for games. On the other hand, you can find many reviews in these forums discussing the great performance, in gaming, from many of the X2s cpus.

moof

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
O srry about that one. I will probably be using it for games but i play CPU and ram intensive games like WoW. And when K8L and Core 2 Quatro come out i will proabably turn this system into a sever. O and i do use photo shop alot. I also do allot of converting because i also play Warcraft III and i have to convert alot of files and 3D models.

npilier

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
In case you're planning to drop that system down and make it some sort of a home server, plus all the intensive work you'll be doing in it, I'll choose an Opti processor. Then, you can compliment that rig with your new upgrade of K8L or Kentsfield in the near future.

AMD procs look really tempting right now, since their drop in price. So, whether you decide to stick with an Optio or X2 -from what you have said that you'll be doing with that system- you should be fine.

My 2 cents! 8)

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
A dual core would be nice for you and you can get these in the opteron series.Although I currently run an athlon x2 4400,I intend to build a dual core opty as soon as I am able.The opterons oc better,hence more value and performance for your money.so go with the opty.

Dahak

EVGA VF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR
3DMARK05:11,582

TRENDING THREADS