How do I get my HP Laseret 4M into Hex mode ?

Does anyone know how to switch a Hewlett Packard Laserjet 4M into hex mode ?

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
393 Quinton Road West

Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
International: 0044 121 247 1596

http://markhobley.yi.org/

If you mean displaying data on paper in HEX I'm not sure that's
something your 4M can.
I seem to remember you did that on dot matrix printers, but would have
to check.

The Laserjet has got "Display Functions Mode"

Used to debug graphics and macro control sequences, by printing the
commands rather than executing them.

EscY enables, EscZ disables.

Enable DFM should be preceeded with "End of Line Wrap" command to
prevent lines of function commands from extending over the right margin
of the page and being clipped.

Usage:
Esc&s0C Enable line wrapping
EscY Start display mode

DATA Graphics or macro data

EscZ End display mode
Esc&s1C Disable line wrapping

Below a little MASM program I made in the early nineties to be used on
my Laserjet 4+
TITLE DISPLON.ASM

;Displays codes send to printer

;--------------------------------------
CODE SEGMENT 'CODE'
ASSUME DS:CODE,SS:CODE
ORG 0100H
.RADIX 10H

MAIN PROC FAR
CALL WRITE
DOS_EXIT: MOV AX,4C00 ;Terminate program
INT 21 ;DOS
MAIN ENDP

WRITE PROC NEAR
MOV AH,40 ;Write file or device
MOV BX,0004 ;Handle device PRN
MOV CX,WRITE_LEN ;Bytes to write
MOV DX,OFFSET WRITE_DATA ;Offset raster
INT 21 ;DOS
RET
WRITE ENDP
;-----------------------------------------
WRITE_DATA LABEL BYTE
DB 1B,"&s0C"
DB 1B,"Y"
WRITE_LEN EQU $-OFFSET WRITE_DATA

CODE ENDS
END MAIN

Eric P. <Eric.P@discussions.planet.nl> wrote:
> If you mean displaying data on paper in HEX I'm not sure that's
> something your 4M can.

Damn! That's what I wanted to do.

> I seem to remember you did that on dot matrix printers, but would have
> to check.

Yeah, I used to do it with listing printers

> The Laserjet has got "Display Functions Mode"

> Used to debug graphics and macro control sequences, by printing the
> commands rather than executing them.
>
> EscY enables, EscZ disables.

If my printer was responding to codes, I wouldn't need to debug !

That's what I am trying to fix.

My Linux system has screwed up somehow. I want to see how the codes received by
the printer differ from the ones that are in the file at the spooler end.

Thanks anyway.

Mark.

--

In article <430b7525$0$31433$ba620dc5@text.nova.planet.nl>, Eric P.
<Eric.P@discussions.planet.nl> writes
>If you mean displaying data on paper in HEX I'm not sure that's
>something your 4M can.
>I seem to remember you did that on dot matrix printers, but would have
>to check.

The Ricoh LP1200 laser does this.

--
Thoss

Print to a file instead of to the printer and you'll see what
the printer would be receiving.

Mark Hobley wrote:

> My Linux system has screwed up somehow. I want to see how the codes received by
> the printer differ from the ones that are in the file at the spooler end.

Alan

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:08:03 GMT, markhobley@hotpop.deletethisbit.com
(Mark Hobley) wrote:

>Eric P. <Eric.P@discussions.planet.nl> wrote:
>> If you mean displaying data on paper in HEX I'm not sure that's
>> something your 4M can.

>If my printer was responding to codes, I wouldn't need to debug !
>
>That's what I am trying to fix.
>
>My Linux system has screwed up somehow. I want to see how the codes received by
>the printer differ from the ones that are in the file at the spooler end.

Presumably you're printing in PostScript
On the panel, go to "JOB"
then PERSONALTY
this is probably AUTO
change to PCL and then it will print incoming PS as text.
(This could use up a LOT of paper.)
However, you may be sending PJL that will override this and change
it explicitly to PS, but worth a try.

Also, on the POSTSCRIPT menu you can turn on "PRT PS ERRS".