Debating...........

mnsnota

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I'm debating on whether building my own comp, or buying a prebuilt system. The reason I don't want to build is that, It is just utterly impossible with all the combinations and feedback I get, to choose what I want. I'm am tired, of this.

To make matters worse I have limited knowledge of building a computers and for the amount of money I want want to spend I don't know what to buy. This money was not given to me it was scraped up through weeks and weeks of working at a s h i t t y job.

I'm a gamer through and through, and would like to get a comp that will play anything and am willing to spend around 3k. I need some choices of prebuilt computers that would meet my needs. I want to play the top current games and I would like to hold off on updating for awhile.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
If you worked long and hard for that money, you want that money to work long and hard for you. That means you need to build your own. Do you have a friend that is good at computers?? Some guidance really helps and I agree there are always debates on what components to get on this board but you can do some research too on the parts we suggest.

3k is a lot of money, you will get an amazing system if you build your own.

Robovski

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
If you don't like upgrading and the research needed, and you have the money, don't. Look, all the time you spend researching and buying and fitting componenets for a build/upgrade is time you could have spent gaming or on something else you enjoy.

Consider it this way: Since you aren't enjoying this is the money you save doing it yourself worth the time it will take for you to be able to do so? If not, then spend that hard earned dough and enjoy your time. If it is, then there you are - do it yourself.

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
When you read this, and other similar forums, it's pretty easy to come to the conclusion that at least 50% (a number I pulled out of the air) of the people building their own systems, should buy ready made.

I do realise that the successful builders don't post problems, so my 50% guess could be way off. However, I think my point is still valid.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you want to do the research, I suggest the following. Start with the CPU because it will dictate the motherboard and memory. Use this site and Extremetech for your research, there may an additonal site but if you look at every review site you'll go nuts. One you decide on the CPU research the appropriet motherboard, i.e., the one that fits the CPU. The easy way to do this is go to newegg.com and find the CPU you want and then do a search for mobo with the matching chipset as the CPU. Once you decide on the mobo, decide on the memory. All of the major manufactues let you search their sites by mobo. Then do the same things for the video and sound card. By limiting your research to a few high quality sites like those mentioned abobe, you'll get good, clear, objective information. newegg is a great resourse as well, while you have to take their reviews with a grane of salt, if there is enough reviews you get a pretty good idea of what problems you might run into if any. Once you've done the research ask specific questions on here but I'd suggest you keep it technical, i.e., don't just ask which is best. Ask things like which is best for a particular task or the benefit on once technology over another. All this should help you from feeling overwhelmed and confused. Finally, when doing the research focus on the stuff you'll be doing, obviously gaming but anything else like video or photo editing.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I'm debating on whether building my own comp, or buying a prebuilt system. The reason I don't want to build is that, It is just utterly impossible with all the combinations and feedback I get, to choose what I want. I'm am tired, of this.

To make matters worse I have limited knowledge of building a computers and for the amount of money I want want to spend I don't know what to buy. This money was not given to me it was scraped up through weeks and weeks of working at a s h i t t y job.

I'm a gamer through and through, and would like to get a comp that will play anything and am willing to spend around 3k. I need some choices of prebuilt computers that would meet my needs. I want to play the top current games and I would like to hold off on updating for awhile.

Since you seem to have a lot of bank here, you don't want to build, and you're an avid gamer, then here is my suggestion:

xbox 360 with a kick-ass hdtv.

Just a thought.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

While I strongly agree you should build your own, lets just give you a point of reference for a store bought.

Dell XPS 700

Intel® Core™2 Duo processor E6600
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition with re-installation CD
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs
250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable
20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
1GB NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 Dual-GPU Graphics Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D), w/Dolby® Digital 5.1
13 in 1 Media Card Reader
PC-cillin Internet Security with AntiVirus and Spyware removal 15-months
1 year warranty
750-watt Power Supply
Tower Six-heat pipe, Copper base Heat Sink with aluminum fans
Two 120mm x 38mm front fans

$2900

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Dell?!?!?!? 8O 8O 8O

Your point? If they don't want to build Dell is the best option. I have been doing consulting for years. You tend to recommend what works.

I wouldn't buy it, but if he wants to buy, its a choice to consider.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006

While I strongly agree you should build your own, lets just give you a point of reference for a store bought.

Dell XPS 700

Intel® Core™2 Duo processor E6600
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition with re-installation CD
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs
250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable
20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
1GB NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 Dual-GPU Graphics Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D), w/Dolby® Digital 5.1
13 in 1 Media Card Reader
PC-cillin Internet Security with AntiVirus and Spyware removal 15-months
1 year warranty
750-watt Power Supply
Tower Six-heat pipe, Copper base Heat Sink with aluminum fans
Two 120mm x 38mm front fans

$2900

although that is a great system dell has there we all know the price is higher than what it would cost to put it together yourself but thats not the point here...the point is the quality of parts used...

namely the motherboard, ram, psu and harddrives...for the kind of money he has he should be basically limitless in his choices. he is just sort of the insane i have enough money i can just pick the most expensives parts...

i do understand the headache a build can be and how easy is to just click the "order now" button but your money can go farther if you build yourself...

Robovski

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Dell?!?!?!? 8O 8O 8O

Well, not like Dell is fantastic, but they do make workable machines. Sure, you can't do much tweaking or any overclocking and you are pretty much limited to upgrades in the realm of vid card, memory and extra drives, but they work for people who don't want to build and want a warrantee/service package. I have one because I could get it through work (a Dimension 5150).

The local screwdriver shop can probably do you better for cost on the build, but then again, you might not get a quality result - screwdriver shops are like any business, some are good some suck. A custom provider might work better than Dell for a gaming machine bang-for-buck or might be an extra premium (like Alienware). Buying technology requires at least some knowledge and research to avoid paying over the odds - but then the internet makes the job easier. Price comparison sites are a big help in finding good prices once you know what you want.