frubsen

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
hey everyone

just finished building my new comp

e6400
asus p5b deluxe/wifi-ap

as soon as i turned it on, i checked the temps in the bios, and the cpu temp was already in the low 50's and the mobo temp in the high 30's.

this is with the case completely open.

using stock hsf, i havent reapplied any thermal paste yet, cause i dont have any...i just found it weird that 10 seconds after i turned it on, the temp was already in the 50's. is this normal?

i ran prime95 and watched the temps in Coretemp. it idled around 52, and got up to 75 under full load. no errors, and havent noticed any slow downs or freezing.

i've read through a lot of posts with the same situation(high temps) and am just wondering if it is a bad sensor or if they are really running this hot?

Hey frubsen,

I just built a similar system this weekend (P5B Deluxe/Wifi and E6300).

Using the stock HSF, my CPU temp comes up as ~50C while the board temp is reading ~39C and this is right after cold startup. If I enable the Q-Fan on "Optimal" it will creep up to 52C and if I disable Q-Fan it goes down to 47C. My case has three 120mm fans so I'm sure I have good airflow. I thought I'd see if there is any kind of a burn-in period for a week or so to see if the temps go down before trying some arctic silver 5. My HSF does not feel very hot, so maybe the temps are skewed a little.

BTW, I'm using BIOS 0614 that just came out, are you?

atp777

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
From everything I've read in the forums thus far, a lot of people are having similar issues. It just seems to be the sensors are reading wrong temps from the Core 2s. I don't think there should be anything to worry about, but just keep an eye on it, and yes, feel the heat sink to see if it is hot. If it's not then the sensor reading is wrong.

In another thread there is a similar discussion and someone suggested a program called Core Temp to get an accurate measure of the actual die temp on Core 2 Duo's. They have a P5B too and the BIOS was telling them 52C while Core Temp tells them 40C.

Core Temp

When I get home I'll run it on my P5B Deluxe and post the results.

frubsen

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
well i went out and bought some arctic silver today.

opened my case and took off the hsf. i decided to reseat the thing again, just to see if it would make a difference. low and behold, i boot up, and it idles around 40 now!

i dont know what was wrong, the hsf was securely on there before.

anyways, it idles around 40, and got up to 55 under prime95 on full load, does that seem better?

should i apply some arctic silver anyway to see if the temps will drop more?

frubsen

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
What did you do differently?

You might as well put the arctic silver on it and see what happens.

as far as i know i didnt do anything differently, i did however notice that when i was taking off the hsf, one of the knobs took quite a bit of force to get out.

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
i beleave my AS5 just cured cuz its been the same temp the last 4 say in my room and ive had 4c decrease getting 35c in a room 20c, where b4 it was 37c/38c in a rooom of 20c so it does indeed work and thats with HSF on 700rpm, so the hsf isnt really all that bad as ppl make it out to be

My temps have been staying around 52-53C idle. I pulled off my HSF cleaned it with 100% IPA and applied AS5 like I normally do (thin layer spread with a razor blade, and rub in a small amount on the bottom of the HSF). I then installed the HSF. My temps were about the same (53C). So I took the HSF off again and noticed something odd. The pattern left in the AS5 by the HSF shows that the bottom of the stock intel heat sink is slightly concave... it was only touching the CPU around the edges. So, I added more AS5 than usual to bridge the gap, reinstalled the HSF and now Core Temp has me idling at 44C. Not steller, but much better.

It appears that the stock HSF is crap. Common sense says it should sit flush against the CPU. I might have to go out and buy an aftermarket one.

frubsen

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
hey everyone

just finished building my new comp

e6400
asus p5b deluxe/wifi-ap

as soon as i turned it on, i checked the temps in the bios, and the cpu temp was already in the low 50's and the mobo temp in the high 30's.

this is with the case completely open.

using stock hsf, i havent reapplied any thermal paste yet, cause i dont have any...i just found it weird that 10 seconds after i turned it on, the temp was already in the 50's. is this normal?

i ran prime95 and watched the temps in Coretemp. it idled around 52, and got up to 75 under full load. no errors, and havent noticed any slow downs or freezing.

i've read through a lot of posts with the same situation(high temps) and am just wondering if it is a bad sensor or if they are really running this hot?

Where are you getting your temperature readings? BIOS? Software?

i've noticed the bios seems to report temperatures 8-9 degrees higher than Core Temp. in the bios mine idles around 48-49 and in Core Temp it shows 40-41.

TRENDING THREADS