Is watercooling necessary?

w3wizard

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I'm building a new system, I'm going to use:

Asus AM2 board with SLI
AMD X2 4800
1-2 Nvidia 7900GT or 7950GTX (only one for now, but maybe use SLI later)
Creative Audigy 2 (not the best, but I already have it)
1 SATA 300G Seagate
1 IDE 250 Maxtor

That's pretty much it, does it seem like liquid cooling will be a necessity? It seems like a pain to have to install and I've been stuck using my laptop since my last system broke down. Not to mention I'm worried about where to get quality stuff, I've bought from Newegg before and had things like screws missing in a Retail Box...

Anyway, I'd just like a few opinions on whether or not I should use liquid cooling or if there is another cooling option I should consider.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Screws missing in a retail box is not newegg's fault, it's the manufacturer's.

Watercooling is really only necessary if you want to overclock or are really bored.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Liquid cooling a system is the next generation of cooling as the collective internal heat generated by high powered components keeps increasing.

With the exception of the current generation of procs, components are being designed with hgher energy demands and, therefore, higher heat output.

If you intend on having components that are somewhat current and/or plan on upgrading on any kind of regular basis it would only be to your advantage to watercool - especially if you are into gaming or overclocking.

Necessary? It's not life or death no.

Advantageous? Certainly.....

w3wizard

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I'm thinking of saving myself some hassle and just buying a Koolance PC4-1020 case, it has liquid cooling, I'll just have to install the heads and do the piping. I'm going to have to get a new case anyway, my old $20.00 case won't cut it anymore, not enough room for fans etc.

What do you think about that case? Or would it be better to do it myself? Will a regular home outlet even be powerful enough to support a 650W power supply?

Help me Tech Gurus.

Cabletwitch

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Watercooling isnt essential. I'll make that clear right at the start.

HOWEVER... its a great way to quietn your PC down, and keep it cooler than air cooling can usually manage. I say usually, as theres some fantasic coolers around like the Arctic Freezer series that can rival a W/C system with the temp drops, and is fairly quiet too.

Having said that, I'm considering waterccoling system as I intend to overclock my next rig when I build it. It would be nice to go to phase change, but I cant justify the cost or running it right now.

Personally, I'd consider a Koolance Exos 2 unit, as its got the advantage of being an external unit, and is capable of cooling multiple machines if you plumb it up right.

All in all, its up to you. If you can spend the money on a decent cooling kit, and leaktest of for 24 hours before installing it, then you shouldnt be dissapointed with the results.

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
WC is NOT necessary....

Is driving a porshe to work necessary???? (when you can drive a toyota at stock speeds)

It is NOT necessary.....

Do you really NEED to OC the living hell out of your PC?

(Probably NOT)

deviantdave

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
"]that is quite the descriptive sig you have there wusy -_-

First time I saw it I nearly sang the blues to cousin Ralph.

I nearly spewed a load of tummy soup on my monitor when I read that for the first time!

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
If you're not planning to overclock, then there's no point in getting watercooling. You'll be fine with teh stock cooler, but I'd use Arctic Silver instead of the crappy thermal paste that comes with the CPU (assuming that it's a retail boxed CPU).

Also, I wasn't aware that AMD made an X2 4800+ for sAM2.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
"]that is quite the descriptive sig you have there wusy -_-

First time I saw it I nearly sang the blues to cousin Ralph.
It's a promise I made to Wingy. :lol: [/extremely bad idea]

LOL; that dude is such a perv. Funny as hell, tho. is he still on the forumz? or has he found better ways to *waste* his time?