Epson CX6400 specs

The scanner is stated as being 48 bit. So far, all attempts at scanning are
presented with a maximum resolution of 24 bit.

The computer should not be at fault as it is a P4, with 1 GB or RAM and a
250 GB HD.

Anyone have a clue?

HankG
4 answers Last reply
More about epson cx6400 specs

    "HankG" <hank@invalid.com> wrote in message

    > The scanner is stated as being 48 bit. So far, all attempts at scanning
    are
    > presented with a maximum resolution of 24 bit.

    Anomaly --
    48-bit usually means the width of the data path,
    not the resolution of a scanner (usually measured
    in dots per inch.)

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    In article <0cOdnZ2dnZ0WKEaznZ2dnQInlt6dnZ2dRVn-zJ2dnZ0@comcast.com>,
    hank@invalid.com (HankG) wrote:

    > The scanner is stated as being 48 bit. So far, all attempts at
    > scanning are presented with a maximum resolution of 24 bit.

    Possibly 48-bit internally, reduced to 24-bit output.

    Jon.

    I'm not sure, but it may scan at 48 bit but output to 24 bit. Depending
    upon the firmware and software, the output may not accessible as a 48
    bit file. Ask Epson (or someone else who is using the scanner and has
    successfully accessed a 48 bit file....).

    Art

    HankG wrote:

    > The scanner is stated as being 48 bit. So far, all attempts at scanning are
    > presented with a maximum resolution of 24 bit.
    >
    > The computer should not be at fault as it is a P4, with 1 GB or RAM and a
    > 250 GB HD.
    >
    > Anyone have a clue?
    >
    > HankG

    Not exactly.

    Color "resolution" is measured in bit depth. A 24 bit color image has 8
    bits of data depth for each color (R, G and B) or 256 steps per color,
    or 16.7+million color combinations. A 48 bit image is made up of 16 bit
    depth of each color, or 512 steps, or 1.3+ billion colors.

    Art

    Don Phillipson wrote:

    > "HankG" <hank@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>The scanner is stated as being 48 bit. So far, all attempts at scanning
    >
    > are
    >
    >>presented with a maximum resolution of 24 bit.
    >

    > Anomaly --
    > 48-bit usually means the width of the data path,
    > not the resolution of a scanner (usually measured
    > in dots per inch.)

Printers Epson Peripherals