Epson CX6400 specs

The scanner is stated as being 48 bit. So far, all attempts at scanning are
presented with a maximum resolution of 24 bit.

The computer should not be at fault as it is a P4, with 1 GB or RAM and a
250 GB HD.

Anyone have a clue?

HankG

"HankG" <hank@invalid.com> wrote in message

> The scanner is stated as being 48 bit. So far, all attempts at scanning
are
> presented with a maximum resolution of 24 bit.

Anomaly --
48-bit usually means the width of the data path,
not the resolution of a scanner (usually measured
in dots per inch.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

In article <0cOdnZ2dnZ0WKEaznZ2dnQInlt6dnZ2dRVn-zJ2dnZ0@comcast.com>,
hank@invalid.com (HankG) wrote:

> The scanner is stated as being 48 bit. So far, all attempts at
> scanning are presented with a maximum resolution of 24 bit.

Possibly 48-bit internally, reduced to 24-bit output.

Jon.

I'm not sure, but it may scan at 48 bit but output to 24 bit. Depending
upon the firmware and software, the output may not accessible as a 48
bit file. Ask Epson (or someone else who is using the scanner and has
successfully accessed a 48 bit file....).

Art

HankG wrote:

> The scanner is stated as being 48 bit. So far, all attempts at scanning are
> presented with a maximum resolution of 24 bit.
>
> The computer should not be at fault as it is a P4, with 1 GB or RAM and a
> 250 GB HD.
>
> Anyone have a clue?
>
> HankG

Not exactly.

Color "resolution" is measured in bit depth. A 24 bit color image has 8
bits of data depth for each color (R, G and B) or 256 steps per color,
or 16.7+million color combinations. A 48 bit image is made up of 16 bit
depth of each color, or 512 steps, or 1.3+ billion colors.

Art